What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15 year old starting weight training

FundyDragon

Bench
My 15 year old son wants to start doing weight training. Currently weighs 60 kg and is 6 foot tall. He has recently gone through a growth spurt over the last 8 months to the tune of about 4 inches. I have a fairly good home gym including a chin up bar, bench press and numerous free weights and a wall mirror for correct form.

He is very lanky in a similar way to Glenn McGrath and is fairly week. He struggles to achieve 10 push ups or chin ups without assistance. What I have intended to set out for him is this:

Push ups
Chin ups
Upright rowing with a curl bar (He is quite good at this and why is that?)
Sit ups

Aiming for 3 sets of 10 and three times per week.

shaggs

Coach
It is a good idea to start with the body weight exercises as you have suggested.

Push ups, pull ups, chin ups are a good start. Being 16 and fairly lanky, keeping posture and form correct while building a base is important.

I would drop the upright rows. They won't really add anything.
Maybe add in some body weight squats, maintaining good form. Ensure the depth is as deep as possible. Following the session of 3 sets of 10, ensure that he stretches properly and for at least 3x30sexonds on each body part.

Tall lanky people have issues with hamstring and hip flexor tightness.

Once he can do 10 reps for each, encourage him to increase the reps up to at least 15. Then you can look at variations for each exercise, eg feet on bench for push ups etc.

If he does this 3 times a week for 4-6 months he will then have a base and weighted exercises can be introduced.

At 16, take your time and keep his flexibility and posture good.

Try this for pull ups

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BWSupineRow.html

Build up the strength slowly.

IFR33K

Coach
For leg exercises, get him into lunges. Won't require heavy or if any weights, and very easy and effective.

The other aspect to weight training, is a good diet. If he's a typical 15 yo, he probably eats too much sugars, fats and rubbish. Not sure what his goal is, but his diet should revolve around protein. 5-6 meals a day would be sufficient. Stay away from expensive powder and vitamins.

FundyDragon

Bench
It is a good idea to start with the body weight exercises as you have suggested.

Push ups, pull ups, chin ups are a good start. Being 16 and fairly lanky, keeping posture and form correct while building a base is important.

I would drop the upright rows. They won't really add anything.
Maybe add in some body weight squats, maintaining good form. Ensure the depth is as deep as possible. Following the session of 3 sets of 10, ensure that he stretches properly and for at least 3x30sexonds on each body part.

Tall lanky people have issues with hamstring and hip flexor tightness.

Once he can do 10 reps for each, encourage him to increase the reps up to at least 15. Then you can look at variations for each exercise, eg feet on bench for push ups etc.

If he does this 3 times a week for 4-6 months he will then have a base and weighted exercises can be introduced.

At 16, take your time and keep his flexibility and posture good.

Try this for pull ups

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BWSupineRow.html

Build up the strength slowly.

Thanks, I like the inverted row and will give it a go, I have a bench suitable for that exercise.

FundyDragon

Bench
For leg exercises, get him into lunges. Won't require heavy or if any weights, and very easy and effective.

The other aspect to weight training, is a good diet. If he's a typical 15 yo, he probably eats too much sugars, fats and rubbish. Not sure what his goal is, but his diet should revolve around protein. 5-6 meals a day would be sufficient. Stay away from expensive powder and vitamins.

His goal is basically a strong athletic build, probably just wants to look nicer and feel more confident. He plays cricket and is a really fast bowler and has a lot of potential so any strength building to help that area would also be suited as well. He eats healthy although has a few sugary snacks throughout the day. I'm not in favour of any protein supplements for any real reason but I'm open to advice.

shaggs

Coach
He doesn't really need any supplements. As long as everything he eats has a protein and a carb source. Fats are also important and often overlooked. Avocado, oily fish. Used for cell energy and hormone production.

Although at 16 his hormones are probably pumping out. I think that he can eat as much as he wants as long as most of it is clean. Junk every now and then is ok.

I eat clean most of the time but if I want
Maccas (my vice) I eat it and I stay at about 8% BF all the time whilst eating 3500-4000 cals a day.

As a fast bowler core strength is important and will strengthen with lifting exercises. You don't want him to end up being like Watson and tearing every muscle cause he is too strong and inflexible.

FundyDragon

Bench
He doesn't really need any supplements. As long as everything he eats has a protein and a carb source. Fats are also important and often overlooked. Avocado, oily fish. Used for cell energy and hormone production.

Although at 16 his hormones are probably pumping out. I think that he can eat as much as he wants as long as most of it is clean. Junk every now and then is ok.

I eat clean most of the time but if I want
Maccas (my vice) I eat it and I stay at about 8% BF all the time whilst eating 3500-4000 cals a day.

As a fast bowler core strength is important and will strengthen with lifting exercises. You don't want him to end up being like Watson and tearing every muscle cause he is too strong and inflexible.

Maybe some dead lifts with a barbell only (no weights).

Thomas

First Grade
Get him to read Starting Strength. 16 is a perfect age to start weight training.

Latest posts