What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O

ozbash

bwetty lee just let one loose at 155.6 kph.thats pretty fast.

i notice that there doesnt seem to be a lot of interest from our ozzie bruvas an sistas with regard to this game.

poms to get one back perhaps ?

england 150-2

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Actually, I've been out battling the heat today. Why in craps name do we accumulate so many heavy pieces furniture in our lifetimes?

Watching it now though and it looks like a pretty flat pitch. 3/204.
Key is on strike and looks like a mug. Sadam's brother is out. Once Butcher is gone, we'll be into the rather long English tail.

imported_Beast

Juniors
Hey Ozbash,
I saw your NZ World Cup squad today. They dug Chris Harris out again..he looks like he is fifty if he is a day. I tell you if the South Africans employ a couple of NZ ground keepers to prepare the pitches then I'll back NZ to win the Cup.It is a good squad though with Cairns and Bond fir and a couple of your top order batsmen pulling their fingers out you guys will go far.

K

Kiwi

Pfffft i reckon the speed radar over here is dodge. Craig White bowling at 145kmh yeah rightio

And the thing that tells you what path the ball is going is crap as well. McGill bowled one today that would've went over the stumps on theoff-stump at best. But the graphic showed the ball going to the left of leg stump. Its faulty!

But 5/250 odd. Not bad and im happy with my $7.50 odds on the poms:D

Cheers,
Moffo

O

ozbash

g,day beastly, happy new year mate.
i was a bit surprised at harris's inclusion but he still has a few games left in him.
if there are kiwi groundsmen on the veldt, we will beat the indians anyway...:)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I was really impressed with Brett Lee today. He got belted off the last over but by and large he tried hard to build up to getting wickets. He used to be just a fast bowler, trying to get wicket every ball but he's getting smarter.
He kept working away at the off stump against the right hander... getting the ball to swing away. Came up against Butcher the left hander and went around the wicket and worked at getting it to swing in... atthat speed and swinging, it was only a matter of time before Butcher, who was getting tired, would chop one back. You could see happening before the wicket fell.

Brett Lee is definitely the future.

Moffo: 5/250 on a pitch like that isn't great. They couldn't manage 100 runs a session and lost half their wickets.
No mention of Crawley not walking? He gave himself up I thought. Last I checked, the wrist band is part of the glove.... the glove covers the wrist band. Why didn't he walk?

K

Kiwi

No mention of Crawley not walking? He gave himself up I thought. Last I checked, the wrist band is part of the glove.... the glove covers the wrist band. Why didn't he walk?

Probably for the same reson Steve Waugh didn't walk in his last innings, twice.

K

Kiwi

I was really impressed with Brett Lee today. He got belted off the last over but by and large he tried hard to build up to getting wickets. He used to be just a fast bowler, trying to get wicket every ball but he's getting smarter.
He kept working away at the off stump against the right hander... getting the ball to swing away. Came up against Butcher the left hander and went around the wicket and worked at getting it to swing in... atthat speed and swinging, it was only a matter of time before Butcher, who was getting tired, would chop one back. You could see happening before the wicket fell.

Brett Lee is definitely the future.

Yes Lee was impressive. I hope he can maintain that sort of consistancy which has been his major problem. He has a bad habit of being brilliant one ball ordinary the next five. For Australia's sake when McGrath and Warne go Lee will need to get some consistancy and keep it.

imported_Docker

Juniors
Without McGrath and Warne Australia begins to look like a very ordinary bowling side. But the Poms are even "ordinarier". We'll see when they bowl.

If that clown Tiffen is a better umpire than Taufel or Bowden I'll walk to Hobart in concrete boots. He almost made Peter Robinson's "efforts" in Perth last year look ok .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"Probably for the same reson Steve Waugh didn't walk in his last innings, twice."
I should explain that I think its a batsmen choice if they want to walk or not. They get out on bad calls enough afterall.
I'm pointing out that there is little mention of this when a pommie stands his ground.
But everytime an Australian doesnt walk, they are accused of cheating by the pop gun brigade. Thanks for showing this again. :)

You're right about Lee's consistency, or inconsistency. With McGrath and Warne injured, Lee is being called on to be the strike bowler now - he seems to be doing the job well.

K

Kiwi

I should explain that I think its a batsmen choice if they want to walk or not. They get out on bad calls enough afterall.
I'm pointing out that there is little mention of this when a pommie stands his ground.
But everytime an Australian doesnt walk, they are accused of cheating by the pop gun brigade. Thanks for showing this again. :)

Ididn't see it to be honest, and if he did knick it he should have walked in my books. I slammed Flemming for not walking, so i don't care if it's an aussie batter or not. I just don't comment much on it when I don't see it thats all. I may see it tomorrow on a replay, if so i'll be back to spit a dummy don't you worry.

You're right about Lee's consistency, or inconsistency. With McGrath and Warne injured, Lee is being called on to be the strike bowler now - he seems to be doing the job well.

This is the first test he has really stood up to be counted in for a while. So I wont be jumping the gun calling him "thee" strike bowler of the future till he does this consistantly.

Australia must be getting a bit worried with the severe lack of spinners coming through that look like they could be of world class standard in the future. I've watched what domestic games that have been on tv, and no one really stands out. Sure there are some that look better than others, but they don't look that good to be honest.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Kiwi:
I was being sarcastic...lol... oh well.. I'm glad that I have ongoing daytime employment.

Crawleydid more than nick it. The ball came straight off the wrist.... andhe knew it.
But he didnt walk and I don't have any problem with that. Its up to the umpire to give him out. Its not cheating to waitto see what the umpire's opinion is...but once done, the bowler and batsmen should have no hesitation in accepting the decision.

In Melbourne, Saddam's brother stood his ground for a few seconds even after the umpire put the finger up. That was unacceptable.

Butcher has always batted slowly. If Vaughan and Trescothick stuck around today, the poms would probably be on 350 now.But the SCG pitch traditionally gets worse, and if they can end up with 350 after the first innings, they won't be going to bad. Apparently Stewart was in good touch when they put the news on, so who knows.

That said, the pitch looked dodgy in the first hour. Lee was getting some great swing off it. McGill didn't do a lot, i still dont think he is the answer long term

Crawley should've walked. End of section. Everyone knows my thoughts on cricket and gamesmenship ;)

Lee was good today. Took the role over from McGrath. Will he be as consistent as McGrath though? Doubtful. Id have to agree with Docker and say that the bowlers were quite ordinary overall. Bichel did nothing and ive already mentioned McGill. Gillespie was OK, but lets face it, without McGrath and Warne, we have no strike bowler. Lee is the closest to that, but he ain't no Mc or Warne.

5/264 - Betcha they aren't paying $7.50 anymore. Pepe, did u get on matey!?!?!

Moffo

K

Kiwi

Apparently Stewart was in good touch when they put the news on, so who knows.

He scored 20 off 13 balls and didn't look like he wanted play to end. How he goes tomorrow is another story. I've never seen a batter go in and out of form so much in one innings as I have with Stewart.

Stewart on his day is a pleasure to watch. A great batsman who struggles with consistency. A bit like Mark Waugh

There aren't many batsman that i can say that i enjoy watching all the time. One of them is Stewart. Others that come to mind are Mark Waugh, Sachin Tendulkar, Michael Vaughan, Jacques Kallis and Chris Cairns (when he is firing)

20 off 13? Firing on all cylinders! I remember him getting a good score (in the Adelaide test i think). Hopefully that plonk Crawley will stick around and let him play for a while.

Moffo

K

Kiwi

Crawley looked in good shape, he wasn't playing stupid shots and looked strong defensively. He could very well hang around and get a much needed 50 while Stewart smashes a quick 100.

K

Kiwi

Stewart took 12 off the last over of the day, which was bowled by Lee. The last ball you could see Lee was just trying to bowl a dot ball, he pitched it up and sent it wide. Stewart stepped out and sent it to the fence like a tracer bullet for 4, easily the shot of the day.

Latest posts