What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'16 | Origin I | Wed 1 Jun | NSW 4-6 QLD | ANZ

Origin I 2016: Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bronco18

Juniors
According to NRL Stats Gillett made the 2nd least metres out of all forwards on the field (9 runs for 66m). Must have been an impressive defensive effort.

Huge efforts in slide defence and makes each of them sting. If he plays the 80 he tends to restrict himself to his right hand corridor though and rarely searches for the ball.

betcats

Referee
So he made some hard tackles and was best on ground? Nothing against Gillet he was very good but it just shows what a terrible game it was. The introduction of wrestling and other tactics to slow down the ruck is one of the worst things to ever happen to league. They need to make origin teams get back 12m players are getting the ball at first receiver and already have a defender in their shirt, its just boring as f**k to watch.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
There seems to be a fair discrepancy between stats across different sites anyway. NRL Stats gave him 32 tackles, SMH gave him 39, Ninemsn 46 and obviously another site says 44. Who can you trust these days.

But he may aswell get man of the match. I don't think anyone really put their hand up in this bludger of a contest.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
They need to make origin teams get back 12m players are getting the ball at first receiver and already have a defender in their shirt, its just boring as f**k to watch.

I think it?s more that they don?t actually get back 10m most of the time, that and the ruck is terribly slow. Refs are too afraid to blow penalties in Origin it?s like 80 minutes of golden point.

Knightmare

Coach
No coincidence that it ended with the same scoreline as that other grim struggle at ANZ two years ago. Difference being that NSW won that night so instead of singing the praises of Trent Hodkinson we have people wanting to swap our halves combo yet again...

Had last nights' game been at Suncorp the responses on here from Blues fans would be quite different I imagine- more up-beat and optimistic. Going off of last night I'm not sure how the next two games will go. Granted Qld have the 1-0 advantage and the home ground advantage coming up, but I think that losing last night could work in favour of NSW.

Qld had pretty much their best side on the field, Cronk played after all so they won't get the mental boost of having him 'back' for Game 2. NSW will realise how close they came to winning last night- the halves and rookie players especially- and provided they stay fit I'd be hoping it'll be that extra impetus for them to lift for the next game at least.

The one thing I wish is that Gus was coach- you know he'd thrive on being the underdogs and he's the perfect figure to get in the ear of the younger players and get them mentally ready to play a big one up in Brissie. Daley can blame the refs, but I'm not sure he's going to devise the right game plan to target the areas where Qld have shown they're vulnerable.

no name

Coach
I think it?s more that they don?t actually get back 10m most of the time, that and the ruck is terribly slow. Refs are too afraid to blow penalties in Origin it?s like 80 minutes of golden point.

They blew 5 in the first 15 and then put then put the whistle away.
There was some obvious ones missed in the last 15.

Shorty

Staff member
lol no wonder NSW is always losing, either the team gets grilled and needs to be swapped or there's ref blaming by the coaching staff.

I mean, it was 6-4 and there was a new halves pairing, new fullback and I dunno what tf Blues were doing with Walker...
I wouldn't be swapping anyone, maybe James Roberts in for Morris....that's it though.
Tedesco won't change anything, all that will do is disrupt the team yet again.

Keep the same guys there for at least one series, how can you expect NSW to dominate a Queensland side that has played together for years (and some well before they started winning!) when this is the first time they've played together?

I think Blues lose at suncorp regardless (because, sorry, but Queensland aren't going to play like that again) but eventually these players will start retiring and NSW will have an established spine to start consistently winning the series again.

It blows my mind people expect to win emphatically or not lose with players who haven't had much time to gel against a side that has largely been the same for years, some people haven't played sport it seems.

I'd also punt Laurie after this year's series, it isn't the ref's fault NSW lost, not a good example to set.

blaza88z

Coach
Walker added nothing, even if he did come on in the last 10 with a view to run through some tired forwards he's not the guy to do that, which for mine makes the selection even more confusing

Perhaps he was there in case someone went down injured, can play anywhere in the back line but other than that, I don't think he will be there in game 2

Shorty

Staff member
I think maybe a hooker like Peats on the bench to give Robbie a break would help.
Not using Walker all game (especially when Queensland forwards were gassed to all buggery and Morgan was concussed!) is bizarre.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Would anyone like walker at centre?
He's shown he's not a fullback, 5-8th or bench utility. He is still q decent centre. Morris looked really old out there last night, so if a possible change is needed at centre what other options are there?

MilkShark

First Grade
He's shown he's not a fullback, 5-8th or bench utility. He is still q decent centre. Morris looked really old out there last night, so if a possible change is needed at centre what other options are there?

The Walker experiment is done and dusted.

If we are looking for centres to replace Morris, lets bring in BJ or Roberts.

Bench

Walker could slot into right centre, Jack Bird could be the bench utility, and I would get Cartwright and Scott into the side as well, shift Gallen to lock and move Jackson or Greg Bird out of the team.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
If we are looking for centres to replace Morris, lets bring in BJ or Roberts.

If I was basing it on last nights game I'd say BJ would have been more useful than Roberts. He?s an absolute handful inside the 20 at the moment.

But I?d rather he didn?t get picked TBH, he?s a big part of the Raiders attack.

MilkShark

First Grade
If I was basing it on last nights game I'd say BJ would have been more useful than Roberts. He?s an absolute handful inside the 20 at the moment.

But I?d rather he didn?t get picked TBH, he?s a big part of the Raiders attack.

Yeah It's a toughie mate. I'm the same with the Sharks players getting selected.