What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16th Team Bid

Who will win the bid for the 16th team?

• Wellington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gosford

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
Wellington. As the Gold Coast and Gosford have both had teams representing their area(and in the case of Gosford North Sydney as well) and both have folded. Where as in NZ they have had one team for a while and they are really going well. Except for the thrashing they recieved from penrith!

beast

Juniors
Has to be Gosford, the Central Coast Bears would be a great league force and an existing team will relocate or be relocated to the Gold Coast.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
beast said:
Has to be Gosford, the Central Coast Bears would be a great league force and an existing team will relocate or be relocated to the Gold Coast.

The central coast won't support a team known as the bears, well thats the feeling i got.

God they are ingrates

GBT

Juniors
I can't believe Gosford - which is really an outer suburb of Sydney, little further than Penrith from the CBD - is included. But that's parochialism for you. We suffer from they same desease in the UK, or should I say, the M62 corridor.

No wonder the AFL are pissing themselves.

salivor

First Grade
I'd like to see it be the Gold Coast but I think the Central Coast has a better chance of working. Singleton seems to have a plan worked out, they've paid off the debt, they've got plenty of juniors and its apparently one of the fastest growing areas in Australia. Logic says that the Central Coast is more likely to be financially stable, well supported and in the long term quite successful.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
bronco said:
I'd like to see it be the Gold Coast but I think the Central Coast has a better chance of working. Singleton seems to have a plan worked out, they've paid off the debt, they've got plenty of juniors and its apparently one of the fastest growing areas in Australia. Logic says that the Central Coast is more likely to be financially stable, well supported and in the long term quite successful.

time will tell

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I find it funny the two leading contenders - Gold Coast and Gosford - are essentially retirement villages. How many of the population are actually young enough to spawn future players? At least the Gold Coast could poach some Brissy, Logan, Redlands Juniors. Not sure where Gosford juniors would come.

Anonymous

Juniors
Does Wellington even have a bid together? I don't think its on the agenda. Correct me if I'm wrong but who is in charge of the bid, if any?

Gosford is part of Sydney... I know the fine folk of Woy Woy and beyond would disagree but whatever you look at it, Hornsby is just down the road. If the plane is to get less teams in Sydney (and I believe it is the plan) then Gosford are on a sticky wicket. But at least they have a serious bid in the pipeline.

The Gold Coast is the only rational choice. The city has a population of over 450,000 and growing fast. In addition, They have huge footprint which stretches from the NSW Northern Rivers up to Logan.
This includes the Group 1, 2, 18 and 19 competitions. Any team which relocates to the Gold Coast gets all of that and no doubt will still have a claw in it's old junior base as well.

On top of all that, its almost universally accepted that SE Qld must have a second team in the NRL.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
I’d say that the storm will move up to the gold coast in 2005. And then maybe a central coast team, which would make it a 16 team comp and no need for the crappy bye :twisted:

salivor

First Grade
I don't think Wellington have a bid at all. I'd love to see a team here but sadly its probably a good decade away. Theres no financial backing for it, no real junior base and I don't know if theres a strong enough supporter base. I think a Sydney team rellocating is the only option for Wellington in the short term. I think Wellington is only getting a mention because of a few comments from Gallop and the NRL.

Alan Shore

First Grade
It should be Perth, or even Adelaide. THe two areas that need teams most.

But if I had to choose from the above list I'd go with the Gold Coast.

GBT

Juniors
Tamazoid said:

Agreed! Especially a Perth team. Weren't they making progress at grassroots level before the NRL pulled the plug?

Alan Shore

First Grade
GBT said:
Tamazoid said:

Agreed! Especially a Perth team. Weren't they making progress at grassroots level before the NRL pulled the plug?

Hell yes! Junior numbers were on the rise, along with WARL support and some WA juniors have played 1st Grade. Some played for the Reds, and the Eels' Petersen is from Perth. Cronulla prop Nathan Vagg is a South Australian junior.