What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1979 GF

Coffs dragon

Bench
What a great coach.....the old fox Harry Bath! 2 premierships in 3 years of 77 & 79 with Baths babes showcasing youth & speed.
Fast forward to the present.....1 semi final appearance in 6 years under the old McSpeedhump coach showcasing the power game running out of gas!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
What a great coach.....the old fox Harry Bath! 2 premierships in 3 years of 77 & 79 with Baths babes showcasing youth & speed.
Fast forward to the present.....1 semi final appearance in 6 years under the old McSpeedhump coach showcasing the power game running out of gas!

One semi final appearance on the back of a 50% win/loss ratio!

No final eight team series in Bath's days.

Although impossible in reality and in terms of differing eras, I would've loved to have seen the 'Old Fox' coaching against Bennett.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Beating the dogs never gets old.

Or were they still the berries back then.

Lol the berries...

Nope, Canterbury had (just) adopted their current moniker, the Bulldogs.

The '79 gf was only my second experience of going to the footy (although my mum insisted we leave BEFORE the game as the crowd prevented us from seeing anything).

I've now own it on DVD; it was a great game. The thing that strikes me are the wonderful, old style cotton jerseys which were so superior to today's advertising billboards.

History shows that Steve Morris was adorned Man Of The Match, however I would've voted for Graeme Wynn.

Speaking of Morris, does anyone know if it's possible to obtain a copy of his Test debut against NZ the previous year? It's on my 'bucket list'.

If not, was anyone from the forum at the game and saw him play? Obviously he wasn't picked again, but I'd like to know how he played.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The Johnson/Cutler moment was worth the price of admission by itself.

Remind me again, was this where Johnson made a break and looked as though he would score, only to be brought down by Cutler?

On another note...1000 posts made by yours truly.

*Raises bat to crowd in jest*.

Hopefully the complete dribble I've composed in just under 18 months have made you smile. As a long time voyeur of this forum, I initially thought I wouldn't be able to join. Thankfully the signing up process became less convoluted than it once was a while ago.

Even though some of you don't always agree with my thoughts on certain issues, the banter has always bee thought provoking and enjoyable

Forever the Dragons.

J.

Last edited:
Understatement of the year.

Steve Mortimer put up a quality bomb. Johnson took it superbly, in the in goal, then proceeded to break out when he had no right to, turning the defence inside and out, and got away only to be picked up in a magnificent, flying covering tackle by Cutler on the 22 after carving out an 80m run from his own goal line...

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Steve Mortimer put up a quality bomb. Johnson took it superbly, in the in goal, then proceeded to break out when he had no right to, turning the defence inside and out, and got away only to be picked up in a magnificent, flying covering tackle by Cutler on the 22 after carving out an 80m run from his own goal line...

This taken by someone who the critics claimed was suspect under high kicks!

Admittedly I'm biased but I still believe Johnson should've got the nod before Garry Jack for the NSW and Australian fullback role.

I believe Ian Head's "The March Of The Dragons" (published 1989) says the club was originally keen on Garry Dowling, who ended up at Parramatta.

In hindsight, the Dragons acquired the better player.

Gareth67

First Grade

Now that actually took me back all those years ago . Well told D.I.T.party . Gee , wasn't he just one hell of a fullback ! The golden hair and the looks of a choir boy , I bet that he didn't even swear , but could he not carve the opposition to pieces with his running . One of my favourites of that era .

This taken by someone who the critics claimed was suspect under high kicks!

Admittedly I'm biased but I still believe Johnson should've got the nod before Garry Jack for the NSW and Australian fullback role.

I believe Ian Head's "The March Of The Dragons" (published 1989) says the club was originally keen on Garry Dowling, who ended up at Parramatta.

In hindsight, the Dragons acquired the better player.
Definitely! BJ was the second best fullback after Chang (even better than another childhood favourite Lord Ted)
He was much maligned in the press and if he was available in 85 we would have won the comp..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Definitely! BJ was the second best fullback after Chang (even better than another childhood favourite Lord Ted)
He was much maligned in the press and if he was available in 85 we would have won the comp..

Johnson WAS available, and played in the reserve grade grade final against Canberra (from memory?).

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yep but had serious hamstring injury for most of the year (from memory)

Thought it was his back that caused him grief (from memory)? Anyway, he was a magnificent, fearless player and I thought he would've made an amazing first grade coach.

Remember, Johnson was in charge of the club's first ever trophy (since the creation of the JV): reserve grade in 2002.