What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1990's games on Fox League this week

nrlnrl

First Grade
I don't know when they started, but there's a Dragons v Eels game from 1993 on now & looked at the guide to see the rest of the week is all 90's games.

JDHD

Juniors
Absolutely loving it. Timing has meant I have recorded quite a few Dragons games which will help me through the summer.
The thing I’m really enjoying is the commentary. They spoke about the on field action and not about golf games, nights at the pub or the other rubbish they carry on with today(referring to Ch9 in the main).

I love that they list the player's occupations. There was a Penrith winger who scored a hat trick against the Bears in a semi who was a 'sales assistant'

Life's Good

Coach
I love that they list the player's occupations. There was a Penrith winger who scored a hat trick against the Bears in a semi who was a 'sales assistant'
I watched a game between Sharks & Manly from Perth in 1993. Kurt Wrigley took the ball up 3 times & each time his headgear went flying. At no point did he attempt to tie up the strap to keep it on.
I have seen the ‘magic sponge’ a few times as well.
Late 80’s to early 90’s were great days for League.

I watched a game between Sharks & Manly from Perth in 1993. Kurt Wrigley took the ball up 3 times & each time his headgear went flying. At no point did he attempt to tie up the strap to keep it on.
I have seen the ‘magic sponge’ a few times as well.
Late 80’s to early 90’s were great days for League.
1992 was pretty dire football. About 6 points scored in the whole finals series.

Home Truth Man

Juniors
Was bored with the cricket last night so turned it over and watched Norths v Steelers from 1997. Was like deja vu with the Dragons now lol

Barrett kicking out on the full Mary and Wishart injured, and Steelers scored on the bell but Timmins kicked the conversion under the crossbar from in front to leave it at a draw....

Dragons22

Juniors
Was bored with the cricket last night so turned it over and watched Norths v Steelers from 1997. Was like deja vu with the Dragons now lol

Barrett kicking out on the full Mary and Wishart injured, and Steelers scored on the bell but Timmins kicked the conversion under the crossbar from in front to leave it at a draw....

Exactly, I’ve been watching both Saints and Steelers games throughout the 90s. All of the Steelers games which I’ve watched, they lost. They are exactly like the Dragons 2012-2017. They try when they want to, they make the finals, they believe it is a success. I watched Seagulls VS Steelers in ‘92. Steelers lost 18-8, and the Seagulls had to play with 12 men for 79 minutes! They won 5 games that year and came last, yet the Steelers couldn’t beat them. This is like the 2012-2017 Dragons. They fail to show up against sides below them on the ladder. Our 2017 was a failure because we lost to Newcastle, Souths, Titans, Raiders, Bulldogs (twice), which all finished bellow us. 2012-2017 Dragons have been an inconsistent side, and that’s the issue. They rarely come from behind, they often have to score the first try to win the match, if they have a big lead, they often then fall asleep, they fail to win the close games, they sometimes struggle holding a lead. I hope these attitudes are now gone, and 2018 is a success. McGregor better get something out of the team in 2018, he has a great roster and there are no excuses. 2018 should be make or break for McGregor.

giboz71

First Grade
Watched a few games from 1999 yesterday.

We had such a good side, Patten, Mundine and Blacklock put fear into defences every time they got the ball. Mundine’s ability to make clean breaks was just unbelievable.

Such a far cry from our pedestrian backlines we’ve carried the last few years.

Last edited:

Dragons22

Juniors

We had such a good side, Patren, Mundine and Blacklock put fear into defences every time they got the ball. Mundine’s ability to make clean breaks was just unbelievable.

1999 was a great year. Blacklock, what a legend! Only problem with 1999, was that we lost the Grand Final.

giboz71

First Grade
1999 was a great year. Blacklock, what a legend! Only problem with 1999, was that we lost the Grand Final.

In years gone by, we've always had fan favourites that would just electrify a crowd. From Offiah, and Walford to Mundine, Blacklock and Gasnier.

Even though we may not have won every game, we were at least great to watch.

I struggle to think who in our current backline would set a crowd alight. At least we have hope in Dufty, Field and Lomax.

We had such a good side, Patten, Mundine and Blacklock put fear into defences every time they got the ball. Mundine’s ability to make clean breaks was just unbelievable.

Excellent side and played some beautiful football. Ainscough was also a weapon in terms of clean breaks.

Life's Good

Coach
Games from the 80’s now. Looks like Fox listened to the fans who wanted games & not reruns of their own shows.

Life's Good

Coach
Which 80s games have been on? Bugger all room left on the IQ drive atm regrettably...
Classic Eels vs. Manly, Eels vs. Dogs, Dragons vs. Dogs 85 GF through to the 89 GF. Plenty of random club games with players I had long since forgotten but brought back memories of Scanlens footy cards when they got mentioned.