What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st CB Series ODI: Fri 16 Jan - Australia l. by 3 wkts to South Africa @ MCG

1st ODI Result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I was very disappointed in Hilfy last night.

BW Hilfenhaus 9.3 1 55 2 5.78

He's got an out swinger and nothing else at this level.

When the ball was old near the end he swing it reverse which resulted in leg side wides, he also struggled with the left and right hand combination.

Then his slow ball is not well disguised and get belted to the boundary.

Some players do well at first class level and dont make that final step to international level.

Unless he improves alot, he may be in that category, or he should just stick to the 4 day version where he can bowl his outswingers all day, and his inswinging leg side deliveries dont get called wide.

And Bracken clearly showed why he is the best in the world in this form of the game.

beads6

First Grade
on last nights performance you would have to think Hilfy is a touch overrated... I think he is better suited to the 4 day game.. I think the Aussies need to have a good look at there team and get a proper 5th bowling option. Hussey and Clarke are part-timers..

aussies1st

Staff member
I still reckon Hilfy isn't at his best, at his best he gets that ball to really talk. We can confirm this tomorrow at his home ground where he always gets it to swing. If he can't get it going there then hes not in the form he was a few years ago.

Warner is in for Clarke, probably not the ideal ground for him to start his ODI career if the ball is moving but can't wait to see how he goes.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24924303-23212,00.html

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee i think we should cut Hilfy some slack, it was really only the one bad over that cost him plus some Shoddy fielding. 2 for 55 aren't the worst figures i have ever seen.

beads6

First Grade
It will be good to see Warner have a hit but our batting looks very weak at the moment compared to last summer. We are currently missing Clarke, Symonds, Watson and the retirements of Hayden and Gilchrist it is time for the young guys to step up..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well I guess this is what happens with newbies,

some take time

the selectors tend to use the ODIs to blood new players but some clearly dont suit this version of the game, and some take a while to settle in or change their fist class game

Hilfy need alot more controlled variation to make an international ODI player than he showed last night

beads6

First Grade
Gee i think we should cut Hilfy some slack, it was really only the one bad over that cost him plus some Shoddy fielding. 2 for 55 aren't the worst figures i have ever seen.

Hopes was in the same boat last night absolute garbage bowling and is only a containment bowler not a wicket taker. Aussies lacked another wicket taker imo..

Johnson and Siddle never had an slack cut for them why should Hilfy get any????

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

he was our most expensive but its not so much his figures, but the way he bowled

a few more games, he maybe OK

we'll see

aussies1st

Staff member

Not blaming them for picking him I had him in my 11. But picking Clarke was silly, if he needed injections to play then he shouldn't have been playing. This is only ODIs why risk further injury for one ODI?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hopes was in the same boat last night absolute garbage bowling and is only a containment bowler not a wicket taker. Aussies lacked another wicket taker imo..

Johnson and Siddle never had an slack cut for them why should Hilfy get any????
Well it was a pretty good batting wicket, Siddle hasn't played ODI's and Jonhson from memory in his first few games was going at well over 8 an over. As i said he didn't bowl his best but FMD not figures he should be hung on. And Hopes also was dissapointing, he normally is a reliable bowler.

Bigfella

Coach
I've seen Hilfy fail to close out good scores in domestic one dayers too.

It was the last 3 which were the massive concern. Sure Morkel is one of if not the most dangerous player in that situation (think Lance Kluesner 10 years ago) and there was limited protection; but conceding 18 in one over is a concern. Especially as he got so leg side with the bit of reverse. They were coming off losing 4 wickets in 4 overs so there are big questions.

Also wasn;t a fan of the committee meetings at the start of each over. I think it udermines a bowler's confidence for the whole ground to see that he's being told where to bowl.

It's a good one day side if you get Johnson in for Hilfy ad open with someone other than Hussey. Michael Clarke or Haddin would be my opener. You certainly don't want a bloke like Haddin to have only 4 overs to bat.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not blaming them for picking him I had him in my 11. But picking Clarke was silly, if he needed injections to play then he shouldn't have been playing. This is only ODIs why risk further injury for one ODI?
Agreed, they had Warner in the squad raring to go. But then again these are the same selectors that had Watson in two test squads with stress fractures and the only other alternative was a bloke with a bung knee :?

beads6

First Grade
Well it was a pretty good batting wicket, Siddle hasn't played ODI's and Jonhson from memory in his first few games was going at well over 8 an over. As i said he didn't bowl his best but FMD not figures he should be hung on. And Hopes also was dissapointing, he normally is a reliable bowler.

Oh for sure Hilfy will improve it wasn't his fault by any means... Aussies need a 5th bowler and better plans they just seemed to be bowling last night. Hilfy has a few flaws in his action he could fix to help his swing IMO..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I've seen Hilfy fail to close out good scores in domestic one dayers too.

It was the last 3 which were the massive concern. Sure Morkel is one of if not the most dangerous player in that situation (think Lance Kluesner 10 years ago) and there was limited protection; but conceding 18 in one over is a concern. Especially as he got so leg side with the bit of reverse. They were coming off losing 4 wickets in 4 overs so there are big questions.

Also wasn;t a fan of the committee meetings at the start of each over. I think it udermines a bowler's confidence for the whole ground to see that he's being told where to bowl.

It's a good one day side if you get Johnson in for Hilfy ad open with someone other than Hussey. Michael Clarke or Haddin would be my opener. You certainly don't want a bloke like Haddin to have only 4 overs to bat.
I had to laugh at Ponting saying before the game that SA looked lost without Smith and it looked like 4 captains were out there. Well 4 captains is still better than none which we seemed to have.

aqua_duck

Coach
A batsman, they should probably promote him up the order, drop Clarke as he is pretty useless
yep white a bloke who averages 26 at ODI level, clarke a bloke who averages 43. White's only in the team because of this perception that he can bowl abit of leg spin but the useless merkin doesn't even bowl. Clarke is a better batsman, bowler and fielder than the useless Victorian

How can people blame the batting powerplay? don't both teams get them? and why don't you like it? just because you lost? I think its great and adds some much needed variety.

the same people rubbishing the powerplay were the same people sh*tting on the powerlay before the game so don't pull that card

lockyno1

Post Whore
I don't have an issue with it but it should be limited to it have to be taken before the 40th over.

Latest posts