What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st ODI: Australia v England at MCG Jan 14 2018

Fangs

Coach
There was a good bit of chat on ABCs coverage about why it should be Lyon in both formats.

As an aside, the hate for Finch on here is getting silly.

Old mate Clarkey picked it too. Lynno just keeps improving.

He might look 137 years old but he is only 30. Best days ahead of him.

Meth

Staff member
I didn't watch the match to the end, but I had the feeling that Zampa was bowling quite well early on. He obviously got taken to towards the end though, and doesn't really seem to have Lyon's strike power.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Finch wasn't the problem, and Warner is a fine ODI opener (even though I don't like him) - you have Head, Marsh, Stoinis and Paine at 4-5-6-7... is that really what you want there?

I know you have better players than that, but the tail is too long, and there's too much pressure on the top 3 - who will win you some games along with the quality quicks

And the bowling plans... OMG, England are going to keep coming at you, and if they keep bowling like that they'll get smashed - Cummins is terrific, but the whole approach seems geniused

JJ is right, Stoinis only averages 80+ with the bat, striking at over 100 with an e/r of 5.6.

Should be nowhere near the team.

Drop him before he plays NZ again.

I agree with JJ tho that the tail at 8 seemed long, but I get the 6 bowling option strategy, especially with England preparing some flat decks and Pakistan's method of victory in the Champions Trophy, but with Head as well is it in surplus at the expense of batting? But its not easy to get the balance right. But I think Lynn for Head would help, esp if up the top of the innings, or Paine opens up with a license? There's plenty of talent to tweak around. Stoinis by rights ought to bat ahead of Marsh based on his odi career start.

Question for me is MMarsh - good all round record in NZ and Aus - but the World Cup is in England. Will he perform there in 2019?

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Question for me is MMarsh - good all round record in NZ and Aus - but the World Cup is in England. Will he perform there in 2019?

Marsh is probably in the top 3 AR's in world cricket in ODI. He was the top ranked AR in the rankings not long ago. The issue right now is that Marsh isn't bowling fit yet.

Meh would rather play him so he has 40-50 overs of bowling under his belt before the SA series.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Marsh is probably in the top 3 AR's in world cricket in ODI. He was the top ranked AR in the rankings not long ago. The issue right now is that Marsh isn't bowling fit yet.

Meh would rather play him so he has 40-50 overs of bowling under his belt before the SA series.

Mitch Marsh is a fine all rounder in ODI. That isn't my point. My point is will he get some runs in England, cos thus far his record in England hasn't been as good as his career? Teams are starting their World Cup preparation now. Its less than 18 months to the World Cup.

As for top 3 allrounders? Shakib, Mathews, Nabi, Stokes, Stoinis, Pandya and in the near future Morris and Pretorious may question the probability of your statement. He is good though. Very good at times.

I just wish there was a Kiwi playing on the list.

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Mitch Marsh is a fine all rounder in ODI. That isn't my point. My point is will he get some runs in England, cos thus far his record in England hasn't been as good as his career? Teams are starting their World Cup preparation now. Its less than 18 months to the World Cup.

As for top 3 allrounders? Shakib, Mathews, Nabi, Stokes, Stoinis, Pandya and in the near future Morris and Pretorious may question the probability of your statement. He is good though. Very good at times.

I just wish there was a Kiwi playing on the list.

I have more of an issue with Head in the side than Marsh actually. Marsh is an automatic selection. He is still 6 months away from bowling fit. It is a bonus how well he's been batting late, long term I'm more looking forward to his bowling than his batting.

Also Warner's place has to be under consideration if you are only looking at English conditions

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I have more of an issue with Head in the side than Marsh actually. Marsh is an automatic selection. He is still 6 months away from bowling fit. It is a bonus how well he's been batting late, long term I'm more looking forward to his bowling than his batting.

Also Warner's place has to be under consideration if you are only looking at English conditions

I'd keep Warner, but I'd tell him to kick start the innings in England more. Head has had a fairly ordinary odi career by Aus standards.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'd keep Warner, but I'd tell him to kick start the innings in England more. Head has had a fairly ordinary odi career by Aus standards.

I'd keep Warner but he's on thin ice, it's been a while since he's done a lot at ODI level. Would be very tempted to open with Lynn.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'd keep Warner but he's on thin ice, it's been a while since he's done a lot at ODI level. Would be very tempted to open with Lynn.

For some reason, Aussie fans keep saying this about Warner.

He averaged 57.58 in 2017 at 102.8 with 3 tons.
63.09 in 2016 at 105.5 with 7 tons.
54.33 in 2015 at 111 with 2 tons.

These 3 years are 51 games, that's exactly half his career 102 games. Its 12 of his 14 tons. He hasn't ever produced before like he is of late.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Didn’t he hit like 7 ODI 100’s last calendar year???

Gee you dribble some shit sometimes.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
For some reason, Aussie fans keep saying this about Warner.

He averaged 57.58 in 2017 at 102.8 with 3 tons.
63.09 in 2016 at 105.5 with 7 tons.
54.33 in 2015 at 111 with 2 tons.

These 3 years are 51 games, that's exactly half his career 102 games. Its 12 of his 14 tons. He hasn't ever produced before like he is of late.
Just as I thought, he’s Been bloody good in ODI cricket the last few years.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Just as I thought, he’s Been bloody good in ODI cricket the last few years.

Yups, he curiously used to be bog ordinary in ODI, while leading in tests and T20, but given odi is an in-between format, it really was only a matter of time (or more accurately a larger sample size of innings) till he got the big numbers regularly on the board.

JJ

Immortal
JJ is right, Stoinis only averages 80+ with the bat, striking at over 100 with an e/r of 5.6.

Should be nowhere near the team.

Drop him before he plays NZ again.

I agree with JJ tho that the tail at 8 seemed long, but I get the 6 bowling option strategy, especially with England preparing some flat decks and Pakistan's method of victory in the Champions Trophy, but with Head as well is it in surplus at the expense of batting? But its not easy to get the balance right. But I think Lynn for Head would help, esp if up the top of the innings, or Paine opens up with a license? There's plenty of talent to tweak around. Stoinis by rights ought to bat ahead of Marsh based on his odi career start.

I understand Stoinis is going well, was just listing them and 6 seems a bit high for him, but that middle order is hardly imposing

undertaker

Coach
Use to book a couple of months in advance to get tickets at the Gabba. Already have freebies for Fridays game. Crowd of 10-15 thousand likely.

LIkewise, tickets to SCG ODIs involving Australia (up until 2006/07) were very difficult to get.

I think we build well for the world cup and generally peak during it, outside that we don’t have the power or passion or players to be consistently good like 10 years ago or so

Besides the 2015WC, the 50 over format in Australia lost relevance once the tri-series format was scrapped in favour of useless 5-7 ODI bilateral series. Around the same time, Ch9 stopped giving the domestic one-day comp tv coverage, and CA started to chop and change with the domestic ODI comp (remember in the Ryobi Cup when it was 2 innings of 20 and 25 overs respectively). From that point onwards, domestic 50 over cricket has never been the same, has been confined to the scrapheap by CA, shafted into oblivion for only the diehards who go on this website and cricinfo to know there are even matches on as there's basically no promotion, let alone tv coverage.

It's a shame, because those one-day state games (especially during the Mercantile Mutual Cup and ING Cup days) used to get good crowds, especially at venues like North Sydney Oval and got nearly 30k at the Olympic stadium in the early 2000s; something you definitely wouldn't see now. 50 over matches in Australia are only still maintained to satisfy India/BCCI and the other subcontinent nations where it's a big money-earner for those cricket boards.

I know you make a fair point about the quality of players compared to 10+ years ago, but it doesn't help that Ch9 (who still has the tv rights) could no longer be bothered to broadcast the matches. Doesn't matter that the games are streamed on CA's website, no tv coverage nor media promotion is going to a rapid decline in public interest. Sheffield Shield has sadly gone the same way.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
LIkewise, tickets to SCG ODIs involving Australia (up until 2006/07) were very difficult to get.

Besides the 2015WC, the 50 over format in Australia lost relevance once the tri-series format was scrapped in favour of useless 5-7 ODI bilateral series. Around the same time, Ch9 stopped giving the domestic one-day comp tv coverage, and CA started to chop and change with the domestic ODI comp (remember in the Ryobi Cup when it was 2 innings of 20 and 25 overs respectively). From that point onwards, domestic 50 over cricket has never been the same, has been confined to the scrapheap by CA, shafted into oblivion for only the diehards who go on this website and cricinfo to know there are even matches on as there's basically no promotion, let alone tv coverage.

It's a shame, because those one-day state games (especially during the Mercantile Mutual Cup and ING Cup days) used to get good crowds, especially at venues like North Sydney Oval and got nearly 30k at the Olympic stadium in the early 2000s; something you definitely wouldn't see now. 50 over matches in Australia are only still maintained to satisfy India/BCCI and the other subcontinent nations where it's a big money-earner for those cricket boards.

I know you make a fair point about the quality of players compared to 10+ years ago, but it doesn't help that Ch9 (who still has the tv rights) could no longer be bothered to broadcast the matches. Doesn't matter that the games are streamed on CA's website, no tv coverage nor media promotion is going to a rapid decline in public interest. Sheffield Shield has sadly gone the same way.
And still the same deadshit stays in charge under no pressure from anyone at all even though the game IMO is all the poorer.

It’s all about dem dollars which we earn by whoring our team out for the BCCI whenever possible.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
And still the same deadshit stays in charge under no pressure from anyone at all even though the game IMO is all the poorer.

It’s all about dem dollars which we earn by whoring our team out for the BCCI whenever possible.

At least your board is getting paid tricks with BCCI tours. They aint been here since 2013/14 and their next tour here - they won't even play us in tests. We go there on demand and short notice which is effectively a freebie.

We're finally on tv over there, prolly helped when Ashwin went on twitter and asked why NZ at home playing Aus in a 50 over game (then ranked 1 and 2) wasn't on tv. That or they enjoy our annual demolish Pakistan series (4 summers in a row of Pakistan tours).

As for TV broadcasts in NZ - we get all the BBL games and stuff all local Super Smash games and 1 50 over domestic - the final.

Last edited: