What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st ODI: Australia v England at MCG Jan 14 2018

hineyrulz

Post Whore
At least your board is getting paid tricks with BCCI tours. They aint been here since 2013/14 and their next tour here - they won't even play us in tests. We go there on demand and short notice which is effectively a freebie.

We're finally on tv over there, prolly helped when Ashwin went on twitter and asked why NZ at home playing Aus in a 50 over game (then ranked 1 and 2) wasn't on tv. That or they enjoy our annual demolish Pakistan series (4 summers in a row of Pakistan tours).

As for TV broadcasts in NZ - we get all the BBL games and stuff all local Super Smash games and 1 50 over domestic - the final.
You guys get better coverage than we do.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You guys get better coverage than we do.

Of what? 1 50 over domestic final? We don't even get the Safrican games and you get all your BBL televised.

We even get the all CPLT20 live! Think it came free in the bottom of a cereal box
But not local games - cameramen and a truck are too expensive to hire regularly!

I'm getting close to getting a good vpn, a willow and nrl fan pass subscriptions and saying adios to skytv but I really like the Foxtel content.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
LIkewise, tickets to SCG ODIs involving Australia (up until 2006/07) were very difficult to get.

Besides the 2015WC, the 50 over format in Australia lost relevance once the tri-series format was scrapped in favour of useless 5-7 ODI bilateral series. Around the same time, Ch9 stopped giving the domestic one-day comp tv coverage, and CA started to chop and change with the domestic ODI comp (remember in the Ryobi Cup when it was 2 innings of 20 and 25 overs respectively). From that point onwards, domestic 50 over cricket has never been the same, has been confined to the scrapheap by CA, shafted into oblivion for only the diehards who go on this website and cricinfo to know there are even matches on as there's basically no promotion, let alone tv coverage.

It's a shame, because those one-day state games (especially during the Mercantile Mutual Cup and ING Cup days) used to get good crowds, especially at venues like North Sydney Oval and got nearly 30k at the Olympic stadium in the early 2000s; something you definitely wouldn't see now. 50 over matches in Australia are only still maintained to satisfy India/BCCI and the other subcontinent nations where it's a big money-earner for those cricket boards.

I know you make a fair point about the quality of players compared to 10+ years ago, but it doesn't help that Ch9 (who still has the tv rights) could no longer be bothered to broadcast the matches. Doesn't matter that the games are streamed on CA's website, no tv coverage nor media promotion is going to a rapid decline in public interest. Sheffield Shield has sadly gone the same way.

How much do we credit (or discredit) t20 for the decline in ODI and also out local domestic one day and Shield formats?

we started getting massive crowds for t20 well before BBL was formed (I think we had 2-3 years of state t20?) and we are in BBL 7 now

ANTiLAG

First Grade
How much do we credit (or discredit) t20 for the decline in ODI and also out local domestic one day and Shield formats?

we started getting massive crowds for t20 well before BBL was formed (I think we had 2-3 years of state t20?) and we are in BBL 7 now

Host city blackouts ending, home air con and big tvs coupled with high ticket pricing have dented crowds more I would think.

BBL def doesn 't help, but its in a different price bracket and its a shorter format. I wouldn't go by crowd numbers - I'd go by ratings. If people stop watching Straya on tv, then theres an issue.

But if an unpopular tourist tours, schedule in some ovals already. These almost empty AFL stadiums are not a good look.