What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st ODI - Australia v New Zealand Sydney Cricket Ground, Dec 4 2016

undertaker

Coach
crowd of 22k very disappointing

It's sad to see the decline in ODI attendances in Australia over the past decade. Would've got 35k+ at the SCG in the days before T20/Big Bash took off in Australia.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore

It's sad to see the decline in ODI attendances in Australia over the past decade. Would've got 35k+ at the SCG in the days before T20/Big Bash took off in Australia.
they also used to not show the game in whatever city it was being played unless it was a sell out

undertaker

Coach
they also used to not show the game in whatever city it was being played unless it was a sell out

Interesting you brought up about the tv blackouts.

Before the 2005/06 season, only the first 2hrs of an ODI and the last session of a test match were broadcast live into Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane if the day's play in that home city wasn't sold out. 1hr highlights were later that night at 11:30pm. The same tv blackouts in Hobart/Adelaide/Perth still existed until 2012 IIRC. In addition, Perth got the raw end of the deal. I remember being over there many years ago and day/night ODIs played in other cities were on 3hr delay in Perth.

Excluding Melbourne (due to the capacity), nearly all ODIs involving Australia played in Brisbane/Sydney/Hobart/Adelaide/Perth sold-out and was very hard to purchase tickets to. So, it was mainly the matches involving the neutral/touring teams that always had tv blackouts.

Nevertheless, regarding crowd attendances, I do remember during the 2006/07 ODI tri-series, the Australia vs NZ match at the SCG on a stinking hot day (about 40 degrees) still got nearly 40k. After that 2006/07 tri-series, there has been a gradual decline in ODI attendances which coincided with the rise of T20 in Australia

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach

Forgot to add,

To put that 22k in perspective, the first cricket international I ever attended at the SCG (Pakistan vs West Indies, 1997) got 19k, only 3k thousand less than the Aus/NZ match, and that was with the big 3 - Ambrose/Walsh/Lara - rested from the Windies side after eliminating Australia from finals contention in Perth a couple of days earlier. The first final between the same teams got 32k at the same venue a couple of weeks later.

Still, fans turned out for those matches involving neutral sides back then, and I ended up going to that match because both Aus/WI and Aus/Pakistan matches sold-out very quickly (back in the days before you could purchase tickets online).

I don't know if the cricket public's apathy towards the current Australian side also plays a role in this, after all the negativity that was in the media following our crushing loss to South Africa in Hobart.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think the scheduling and promotion is poor as well, they just dumped these 3 ODIs right after a test series with another test series to follow on the 15th. Then you have the heavily promoted BBL starting on the 20th. Something has to give

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
ODI are dead...sad to see.,really, world cups will continue..but really,.it will be tests and the Indian game.

JJ

Immortal
That'll be it, well done Oz.

Guptill aside nobody turned up from our end.

Boult was pretty good too I thought, aside from not pushing for the review - man that looked out live, bit Smith was a beast afterwards

In reality it was an entertaining game, but Smith, Guptill, Hazelwood, Starc and Boult aside not a huge amount of quality

The non review was a clanger from NZ, but hindsight is 20:20, and Henry's catch off Head was disgraceful...

The batting lineup is too inexperienced, but the problem was really the way Smith, Head and that f**ktard Wade got away - that is partly poor bowling, a decent helping of Henry's butter fingers, but 85% a remarkable innings from Smith

Interesting you brought up about the tv blackouts.

Before the 2005/06 season, only the first 2hrs of an ODI and the last session of a test match were broadcast live into Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane if the day's play in that home city wasn't sold out. 1hr highlights were later that night at 11:30pm. The same tv blackouts in Hobart/Adelaide/Perth still existed until 2012 IIRC. In addition, Perth got the raw end of the deal. I remember being over there many years ago and day/night ODIs played in other cities were on 3hr delay in Perth.

Excluding Melbourne (due to the capacity), nearly all ODIs involving Australia played in Brisbane/Sydney/Hobart/Adelaide/Perth sold-out and was very hard to purchase tickets to. So, it was mainly the matches involving the neutral/touring teams that always had tv blackouts.

Nevertheless, regarding crowd attendances, I do remember during the 2006/07 ODI tri-series, the Australia vs NZ match at the SCG on a stinking hot day (about 40 degrees) still got nearly 40k. After that 2006/07 tri-series, there has been a gradual decline in ODI attendances which coincided with the rise of T20 in Australia

And the rise and rise of the fun police.

Meth

Staff member
Boult was pretty good too I thought, aside from not pushing for the review - man that looked out live, bit Smith was a beast afterwards

Would have been a much different game if they had have pushed for that review. Obviously, Boult is primarily in the drivers seat for this one, but Williamson's decisions to review (or not) are all over the place.

Meth

Staff member
No matter how how shit we are, we're still always better than New Zealund.

That's frustratingly true, really. From my perspective, over the last few years Australia have looked as vulnerable as I can remember in my time of watching cricket. Unfortunately, whenever they've been low, we've still been a touch or two lower.

Iafeta

Referee
Can we request Kane Williamson NOT be in charge of when to use DRS? Since he's been captain they have be horrendous is using it. Matter of fact, his batting is slumping since he's been captain too.

Too much along the wicket bowling. No one really hitting the deck. Out cricket was disgraceful. Worst NZ fielding team since 1982.

JJ

Immortal
. Matter of fact, his batting is slumping since he's been captain too.

Only a small sample, but not a fact

8 tests as captain averages 57.15, not captain 48.09
25 ODIs as captain, average 49.26, not captain 45.13

He's down a bit on his form of the last few years, I guess, but hardly a slump

JJ

Immortal
And what the f**k is with Slater's pronunciation of Guptill, trying to appeal to an Indian audience?!?!?!

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I barely go to a game anymore, never used to miss an International game. They have sucked the life of going to a game.

Last year on day 1 of the test we (the crowd) were amusing ourselves with a beach ball during the rain break and a security guard came along and took the ball.

vvvrulz

Coach
The worst part is getting wrong the things we generally do well: taking our catches, keeping the energy up, minimizing extras and effecting the run outs. Yesterday was just a plain lazy performance and that's just unacceptable. If we bothered to do the basics right it would have been a much tighter game.

You have to question Kane's uninspired captaincy at this point. Fleming would give you the death stare if you cocked up and BMac led by example by running himself at 120% capacity.