What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st ODI - Australia v New Zealand Sydney Cricket Ground, Dec 4 2016

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's a really unpleasant experience to go to any event these days just from the security. music festivals are like going through an east German checkpoint when you get in.

I was at a music festival a few years ago and a security guard was walking around stopping people laying on the grass.

Sporting events are as bad.

I think a big part of dickheads acting out is being treated like children literally all the time.

An off topic whinge but I do believe it impacts crowds. I used to go to loads of events but now I won't go unless I really want to because it's just a hassle dealing with the stasi employed to keep the fun down

You do realise the boundary riders are pretty much plucked off the street on game day and give a SECURITY t-shirt then plonked on a seat. There's one bloke who does ANZ and SCG, and if he isn't 9/10th of the way to geniusation, I'm not here. That they gleefully pop beach balls is pathetic. It's not even pantomime villain funny...it's deadset SS bootlicker mindset.

Ironically, the Police don't actually care as long as you aren't violent, utterly pissed, obnoxious, racist, blah blah blah.

Ever since that South African ODI in 1997/98 at the SCG, they've sucked the entire life out of ODI and Test crowds. That South African ODI was bedlam, but f**k it was fun. Even got my picture in the paper. The clamp down got a bit better when T20 started and it was 'anything goes, party mode' but in the last 2-3 years, they've clamped down that too.

I don't go to the cricket to drink, but at 40, I am embarrassed that I can't buy and enjoy and full strength beer without them thinking I'm an aggressive bogan or that I'm going to jump the fence and glass an Australian wicket keeper. I hate you can't take a banner with something pithy on it. But that's because Corporate Australia, ahem, Cricket Australia and successive NSW State govt have dictated that grown individuals can't decide for themselves and wowsers have stolen the 'fun'.

SCG 1997:98.png

It's a really unpleasant experience to go to any event these days just from the security. music festivals are like going through an east German checkpoint when you get in.

I was at a music festival a few years ago and a security guard was walking around stopping people laying on the grass.

Sporting events are as bad.

I think a big part of dickheads acting out is being treated like children literally all the time.

An off topic whinge but I do believe it impacts crowds. I used to go to loads of events but now I won't go unless I really want to because it's just a hassle dealing with the stasi employed to keep the fun down

I saw Garbage at the Horden on Friday.

Two gates of security. I got metal detector swished over me. They freaked out at my wife's ear plugs...demanding to know what they were FFS. It was LOL and cringeworthy all at once. I'm guessing they thought her tampon box were ecstasy suppositories or some such.

Inside, I bought a bottle of water, and for my safety, and the band's, it was going to be drained in to a plastic cup. I just stared at the poor girl as she uncapped it and poured it and then said 'thanks, but no thanks' and walked away.

Bazal

Post Whore
For quite a few years Manuka got away with serving full strength Strongbow despite the crack down. It was actually quite funny in a way. All these muppets sinking 42 cans of VB gold or mid strength Bundy in a desperate effort to get pissed because they were too proud to drink cider lol.

I actually don't mind the alcohol crack down. Anyone who reckons Australia hasn't got a problem with alcohol is blind IMO and that always manifested itself at events like the cricket. Plus I always reckon mid strength is a good idea when you're sitting in the baking sun for hours on end slowly withering in the heat. My problem is the cost and the muppet security gronks....it's just ridiculously expensive to go to the cricket these days. Manuka is still barely ok being in a country town but the big grounds are ridiculous

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
ha-ha you've got to be f**king kidding me. Plastic bottle of water poured into a plastic cup.. Safety first... It probably cost 5 bucks so I doubt anyone would be throwing it when its still full... unless you were planning on pissing in it and then trowing it at the band.

Latest posts