What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Brisbane on Dec 15-19, 2016

tomdl

Bench
Best thing about the Pakistani fight back is that it will ensure a huge crowd at the G on Boxing Day.

tomdl

Bench
Nevill back for Wade. I'll take a solid 30 off 100 over a few noice garrys, dropped catches and a thousand byes. Anyone can come in for Maddo. If the selectors are reading this I reckon I am good for at least a 7.

chigurh

This is how Pakistan fared this test match, in pictures:

jHXyfT.png

All because players are bitching about being burnt out

It is partly CA's thinking due to their "managing bowlers workload" stuff, but also partly as a backlash from the 2nd test against India in Kolkata. Australia enforced the follow on, India got a humungous score thanks to VVS Laksman and Rahul Dravid in their second dig and then with Harbijhan Singh taking 6 wickets, bowled Australia out cheaply in their second innings to win the test by 171 runs. Since that time I can't recall Australia enforcing the follow on in any test.

Edit - Interesting fact, of the 3 tests that have been lost after a team has enforced the follow on, the losing team in all 3 test matches has been Australia.

Hutty1986

Immortal
It is partly CA's thinking due to their "managing bowlers workload" stuff, but also partly as a backlash from the 2nd test against India in Kolkata. Australia enforced the follow on, India got a huchampionus score thanks to VVS Laksman and Rahul Dravid in their second dig and then with Harbijhan Singh taking 6 wickets, bowled Australia out cheaply in their second innings to win the test by 171 runs. Since that time I can't recall Australia enforcing the follow on in any test.

Edit - Interesting fact, of the 3 tests that have been lost after a team has enforced the follow on, the losing team in all 3 test matches has been Australia.

This was my recollection as well, but they said on ABC yesterday that Steve Waugh actually enforced it seven more times during his captaincy and they won all 7? I know Punter was very reluctant to do it during his time and I think Clarkey only did it once-during his last few tests as captain

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Wow!

And people reckon Test cricket is dying!

Hats off to Pakistan - what a great f**king game of cricket!

Bring on the second Test!

No way. I always prefer tests over One Dayers and T20.

Doesn't matter if there is sometimes a boring period of runs, or batsman blocking it playing is safe. Sometimes the finishes to the tests are so nerve wracking and can be unpredictable.

Sphagnum

Coach
Most captains don't enforce the follow on because they look at the pitch and don't want to bat last on it. It also gives the bowlers a rest after just bowling the opposition out. There is no hoodoo or terror or pseudo scientific reason why it didn't happen, it just didn't seem like the right course of action under the circumstances.

Meth

Staff member
I would have said that Hanscomb was a shout for man of the match, just quietly. Would have been Smith if not for his uncharacteristic fielding woes. But no complaints about Shafiq getting it really- turned the match into something special.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Lyon with 2 for 139 for the match at a tad under 70 on a turning pitch.

Time to try some one else.

Australia win - home track bullies; skin of their teeth; blah blah blah; NZ mumble mumble...

Pakistan lose - Australia are shit.

Even when you win you lose.

Not bad for a 'new-is' team playing the #1 team in the world.

Meth

Staff member
Australia win - home track bullies; skin of their teeth; blah blah blah; NZ mumble mumble...

Where'd you see that?

Here's what I saw- everyone lauding one of the great Tests of our time, then some merkin inexplicably bringing NZ into it for attention.

JJ

Immortal

Even when you win you lose.

Not bad for a 'new-is' team playing the #1 team in the world.

Pakistan are #4, I think, they were #3 when we beat them, and the know it all arse wipes here said they were shit

They've proven they're not shit, and Australia is always hard to beat at home.

I thought it was a great test, Australia deserved their win, and Pakistan will regret their first innings debacle, and believe they can really do well in the series

They're hilarious though, you literally don't know what you'll get - but they have talent, and Misbah is a fine leader - really looking forward to the Boxing Day test - could be another classic

Latest posts