What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v South Africa at Perth on Nov 3-7, 2016

TheParraboy

Staff member
Less than a week to go. Starts Thursday 3rd Nov 1.30pm AEDT

Australian side needs some major tweaks IMO

Voges is 37, had a poor Shield game, either drop him or he "retires" after this test (his home ground)

MMarsh is not a top 6 test batsman. Will be picked cause they send him home from SL tour "to rest for the SA series". Also had a poor Shield game. I wouldn't pick him, but he will be there

You would imagine the top 4 would be Warner, Burns, Smith, Khawaja. But My gut feeling tells me Rod Marsh and his cronies will find room for Sean Marsh (at the expense of Burns or Khawaja). Steyn and co licking their lips..

Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon pick themselves. Is Siddle a chance? Jackson Bird? for the 3rd pace role. If Boland gets the gig Im gonna be a tad upset

SA will be gunning for 3 straight test series wins over here

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Marsh boys will be there, Burns is no hope. And what's the bet they pick reliable 124kms per hour Siddle??? He'll really worry them lol. SA have won two in a row in Perth and unless Smith and Warner fill their boots and Starc finds some form I can see it becoming three in a row.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd rather Henriques at 6 as a batsman as he is in some pretty good form, but I prefer MMarsh as a bowler.

Sids is too slow to bother any RSA batsmen but there are better then the nuffies we took to RSA and surely Boland wont get a test gig. Shame Cummins is not up to speed just yet.

Bird is probabaly the better option.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Too early yet, but if that young kid Kurtis Pattinson keeps scoring some Shield runs (averages 42.81 now), he could be a bolter for the middle order come 12 months time, maybe a bit earlier

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Smarsh
Warner
Kuwaja
Smith
Vogel
Mmarsh
Neville
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyons

I've named ten because I can't bear to name the third pacemen that I think they'll go with. He's nicknamed the Duke. :frowning2:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
SA are without ABDV which will be telling, Amla is the standout batsman in their side with a couple of untested players and the l8kes of Elgar and Duminy still hanging around. De kock looks to be in great form and his batting up against Nevilles could be a key.

Bowling Steyn leads the attack with Rabada a very good apprentice. Philander and the Snorkel could be plod or God depending on the weather, injuries, what they had for breakfast etc

I'm leaning towards a 2/1 SA victory or 1/1.

Timbo

Staff member
I would go:

1-Burns
2-Warner
3-Khawaja
4-Smith*
5-Voges
6-Henriques
7-Nevill+
8-Starc
9-Lyon
10-Hazlewood
11-Bird

But I think that they're going to pick the Darsh boys at 1 and 6, and I would honestly not be surprised if they pick Wade to wear the gloves. They've got a full blown derp-on for him.

Either way, Mitch Marsh is simply not good enough to bat in the top 6 at test level. But they are hell-bent on making it happen.

Just looking at shield scores and recent form, I wonder how long until we have our own Pietersen/Trott thing going on with Labuschagne and Cartwright? They're close to the two best young bats in the competition.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
shame Daniel Hughes was concussed, no doubt the selectors have talked about him

not a fan of Burns, even on our pitches, terrible defensive technique

Bazal

Post Whore
Squad is up on CA website. It's awful. No Burns, S Marsh in, Siddle in, Mennie in ffs.....

0-3 SA

Bazal

Post Whore
shame Daniel Hughes was concussed, no doubt the selectors have talked about him

not a fan of Burns, even on our pitches, terrible defensive technique

He's got a far better technique than Shaun "Waft Outside Off" Marsh who they've replaced him with. And he made 125 runs against our two top fast bowlers at The Gabba so he must be doing something right.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Honestly the selectors have NFI, they will pick Shittle and unless it's a road and Smith and Warner fill their boots we are going to get pack raped.

Bazal

Post Whore
Honestly the selectors have NFI, they will pick Shittle and unless it's a road and Smith and Warner fill their boots we are going to get pack raped.

Yeah but if it's a road we'll still get pack raped cos De Lock has a hundred and a 99 already on tour, Faf and Elgar have made hundreds, Roussow is in form if he plays, Amla is all class....they'll be ecstatic at the thought of facing Sid's, Marsh and possibly fking Mennie

Bazal

Post Whore
Marsh said Jackson Bird's batting cost him his spot over Mennie. Makes sense...
Hahahaha what? I didn't see that when I skimmed the article....who lets these idiots pick a side? Deadset....Bird is a better bowler than Mennie but let's pick the better batsman. Siddle has been irrelevant at test level for years but let's give him another go. Not even mention of Behrendorff in home conditions, a lefty who swings it....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hahahaha what? I didn't see that when I skimmed the article....who lets these idiots pick a side? Deadset....Bird is a better bowler than Mennie but let's pick the better batsman. Siddle has been irrelevant at test level for years but let's give him another go. Not even mention of Behrendorff in home conditions, a lefty who swings it....
They need to have bowlers that bat a bit to cover for the fact that their Golden child Marsh is a massive liability in the top 6, both Marshes in fact. Honestly all us lads in here could cobble together a better side even with the input of Locky and BM.