What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v South Africa at Perth on Nov 3-7, 2016

jargan83

Coach
Well they lasted longer today than I expected. I thought the Saffers would roll us within the first session.

From 4/30 odd and 0/158 to a loss by 170 odd.

Our batsman really did bottle it on day 2.

Wizardman

First Grade
Test series at home have covered up the cracks in our side for a long time now. This will be the summer where those cracks will well and truly be exposed. Will be a good thing for our side in the long run as it will force changes.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
One session in the morning of day 2 cost us the match.

Our score in the second innings wasn't too shabby.

JJ

Immortal
That's sugarcoating it for mine.

With their depleted bowling attack which included a dwarf and a trundler they easily bowled us out twice.

I know we are prone to hyperbole on LU, but that's one of the worst losses of all time.
Yep agree - best bat in the world didn't play, all-time great fast bowler broke down - and the battled back to dominate...

Also, first test of home summer - that's when it's hardest for the tourists, Australia usually dominate completely...

As I said in the other thread, this is the sort of performance by RSA that will be remembered for a long time - they had no business competing (Amla scored 1 run too) let alone dominating

I just don't know when the alarm bells ring loud enough to usher in changes.

Capitulated to Pakistan 0-2, India away 0-4, England 2-3 (when fancied to win), Sri Lanka 0-3.

Lucky for us, we can play WI once in a while and still win in SA and dust up India here. Otherwise, I'm worried we'll be 0-6 this summer and the Bangas will mash us.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Australian cricket from Ponting in his later years through to smith struggles when things don't go to plan. When wickets start to fall batsmen still play 'their natural game'. That's great but your natural game should be an adaptable one, if you're 4/62 you put your head down, not Slash at everything.

Same with bowling. If they can't get early wickets there is no plan B. Just the same plan with more tired and slower bowlers

I'm surprised lehmann hasn't come under more scrutiny. Coach and selector yet barely a whisper about him, in fact he's resigned for another 4 years.

I agree. Smith and Warner should be bowling 5-10 overs just to mix things up.

But no. Just do the same.

Smithy is a Punter clone. So much for having a form guide in his back pocket and going for it.

JJ

Immortal
Australian cricket from Ponting in his later years through to smith struggles when things don't go to plan. When wickets start to fall batsmen still play 'their natural game'. That's great but your natural game should be an adaptable one, if you're 4/62 you put your head down, not Slash at everything.

Same with bowling. If they can't get early wickets there is no plan B. Just the same plan with more tired and slower bowlers

I'm surprised lehmann hasn't come under more scrutiny. Coach and selector yet barely a whisper about him, in fact he's resigned for another 4 years.

Yeah, agree - that was a NZ like performance, flashes of being competitive but ultimately crushed by a better all round team. Warner and Smith are great on flat decks, but have seldom shown the ability to adapt, especially Warner who averages about 35 away!

Think that's 4 test losses in a row now including a home opener (the latter might not have happened since the mighty Windies era?). Australian careers have been ended in similar situations

gUt

Coach
It's a bit late, but still:

14915230_903103066500042_6666345785460588552_n.png

Australia - wins tests, belts all comers. People bemoan it's no good for cricket.

Australia - loses tests, belted by all comers. People bemoan it's no good for cricket.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Yeah, agree - that was a NZ like performance, flashes of being competitive but ultimately crushed by a better all round team. Warner and Smith are great on flat decks, but have seldom shown the ability to adapt, especially Warner who averages about 35 away!

Think that's 4 test losses in a row now including a home opener (the latter might not have happened since the mighty Windies era?). Australian careers have been ended in similar situations

It's interesting to look at the stats here, obviously the home v away breakdown is telling. Despite what you say about flat tracks, etc, Steve Smith is truly world class: he averages 64 at home and 58 away.

Warner averages 37 away from Australia, as opposed to 61 at home. He surprisingly struggles in the Windies, his average of 27 in Sri Lanka is poor, but downright terrible in NZ (13, but admittedly, only off a two test sample). But he has only played 5 tests in the Windies, with 8 in England being the most he's played in anyone else's backyard.

The big stat is 12 home hundreds for Warner, while Smithy has 8 at home and 7 away.

What shits me to tears about Warner is the number of times he gifts his wicket when he's cruising, while Smith seems to take it personally when just about any spinner bowls more than 2 dot balls to him!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Smith gets out far too many times to ordinary spinners, he did it last year in England and also a few times in Sri Lanka. He just shows them no respect which leads to his downfall time and time again. Warner gets himself probably 75% of his innings but thats the way he plays. Problem is when they fail we don't have the depth to cover for them. Our tail doesn't wag anymore either.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I just don't know when the alarm bells ring loud enough to usher in changes.

Capitulated to Pakistan 0-2, India away 0-4, England 2-3 (when fancied to win), Sri Lanka 0-3.

Lucky for us, we can play WI once in a while and still win in SA and dust up India here. Otherwise, I'm worried we'll be 0-6 this summer and the Bangas will mash us.

These results prove this luscious specimen Haynetrain was correct when he said this was the worst Aussie team ever like 3 years ago

Haynetrain 1
Rod Marsh 0