What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v Sri Lanka at Hobart Dec 14-18, 2012

TheParraboy

Staff member
good effort by SL

Would have won earlier if we had all our bowlers fit

bring on the mcg test

siddle MOM here

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can see this side being retained for the MCG test with the exception of injuries.

BDR

First Grade
The end there really was the only quality spell of the entire match. Not sure whether Hilfenhaus would have helped but there will have to be improvement before the MCG.

Overall happy to get the win despite some serious flaws.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I don't really classify them as changes because they are forced through injury.

I'll reword it, of the 9 fit players from this test, I doubt any of them will be dropped for the next test

might lose siddle and cowan for ball tampering

Earl

Coach
As frustrating as Lyon is he's the best we have. He needs to bowl slower in my opinion. Low 80's not low 90's.

Hopefully that spell is a slap in the face for Mitchell Starc and he can become the spearhead we desperately need.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
no coincidence that his best spell was his fastest spell

I've seen him bowl over 150ks so I really dont know why he has been holding them back

he's still a work in progress but he is improving slowly

Wato

Juniors
We would all love for Lyon to be taking 5 wicket hauls and winners us games but ts rare that any spinner does so early in there test career. I think lyon looks a good bowler considering his only 25 and has a lot of improvement left in him. The best three spinners in the world Swann(33),Herath(34) and Ajmal(35) have not really been match winners till there 30s so to have Lyon already performing an important role in the team can only be positive. Yesterday he played better then he is getting credit for thou by shutting down one end and allowing the quicks a chance at the another, a similar role to what Hilfy does when he bowls with Siddle and Starc.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think he bowled well at all yesterday.

Far too flat on a responsive wicket where he should have flighted the ball alot more than he did. He'd get alot more turn if he didn't bowl so flat and he needs to take a bit more time I reckon.

Earl

Coach
He definately needs to bowl abit slower and not push the overs through so quickly. He's not David Hussey bowling in a T20 after all.

I'm happy to stick with him for a little while yet. He is accurate enough and isn't getting pasted all over the park.

2 years ago thats all we were asking for, now we have that its not good enough he needs to be taking massive hauls as well?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Noone expects him to take massive hauls but this summer he hasn't come through at all for 2 fifth days out of 2. He's not stepping up when we need him.

I'm not saying drop him for Boxing day, there is noone knocking on the door behind him but we should be focused on finding a world class spinner.

Wato

Juniors
Leading wicket taker for Australia against South Africa so I would say he defiantly delivered in that series. Lyons best weapon is his bounce imo and that was not there for him in Hobart and on his pace you could hear Clarke and Wade encouraging Lyon to get his pace up into the high 80s.

Sphagnum

Coach
Yesterday showed Lyon up to be very one dimensional. When the batsmen aren't looking to score, containment is a waste of time.

He needs to develop an attacking bowling regime where he gives the batsmen scoring opportunities and look for them to make mistakes. Once the game is out of reach, long hops and full tosses are the balls that take wickets for a spinner unless the pitch is turning at right angles.

aqua_duck

Coach
We would all love for Lyon to be taking 5 wicket hauls and winners us games but ts rare that any spinner does so early in there test career. I think lyon looks a good bowler considering his only 25 and has a lot of improvement left in him. The best three spinners in the world Swann(33),Herath(34) and Ajmal(35) have not really been match winners till there 30s so to have Lyon already performing an important role in the team can only be positive. Yesterday he played better then he is getting credit for thou by shutting down one end and allowing the quicks a chance at the another, a similar role to what Hilfy does when he bowls with Siddle and Starc.

Easy to shut down one end when the opposition are trying to block their way to a draw