What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Bangladesh v Australia at Mirpur, Aug 27-31 2017

Timbo

Staff member
Starts on Sunday 2pm AEST

talk of Cartwright at 6 instead of Maxy pending on conditions.
Agar looks a lock as the 2nd spinner, Khawaja could be back in the side.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20402833/ashton-agar-offers-us-lot-flexibility-darren-lehmann

I think that makes sense. Like the idea of Cartwright getting a long run at 6. Pick the four best bowlers and back them, his job is to just give them a breather when the ball isn't doing much. He's a Paul Collingwood, not a Keith Miller.

Bazal

Post Whore
Hopefully Cartwright can cement a spot. He's certainly good enough and I think he's the kind of player we need at six if he can build his game up to test level. He showed on debut he can play a patient innings and he's a big strong bloke who can also come out on the back of a decent platform and smack the ball around. If he can bowl a few overs and keep it tight it's a bonus but he really should focus on doing the job with the bat.

Valheru

Coach
On the one hand I am just glad this tour is happening. It is good for Bangladesh cricket for us to tour regularly and I thought this tour was odds on to be the only casualty in the player dispute with Cricket Australia.

On the negative side, the tour is in massive danger of being rained out due to playing it in places that average over 300mm of rainfall in August/September.

God forbid Bangladesh actually get to play home tests in the 7 months it isn't monsoonal.

This series could have been scheduled for the 2nd half of October where conditions are much more cricket friendly instead of the pointless ODI series against India and would have served as better preparation for the ashes.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think they will go Maxwell at 6, either way him or Cartwright, they need an extended run like MMarsh has had,

What do we think if Agar is chosen as front line bowler batting at 8?

Bazal

Post Whore
What do we think if Agar is chosen as front line bowler batting at 8?

It's a good opportunity for him. The kid can play, his issue as a bowler is consistency. He's not a big turner of the ball, although he can spin it, so he needs to work on building pressure and using variations like O'Keefe does.

Not sure he'll ever be a frontline main spinner but he can certainly still craft himself a Test career as a second spinner/back up. And honestly he seems to have a great head on his shoulders for a 23 year old.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Under 12's stuff

I tend to agree, you are not going to want to play forward too much as you'll get hit on the shin, it will make you play back a lot more. Then you'll put the pad on and play differently.

Don't see much point.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cartwright is NOT an all rounder. He's a batsman who bats at 3 for WA. He can bowl some change up so called mediums but that's it- his bowling will only ever be a last resort type.

Latest posts