What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 teams. 19 rounds.

Marlins

Juniors
CC_Roosters, how do you think they should decide which 4 clubs get dropped to "nrl2"???
NRL 14 Teams 7 Games a week. 22 rounds

Cowboys
Broncos
Roosters
Bulldogs
Warriors
Rabbitohs
Penrith
Sharks
Storm
Canberra
west Coast Pirates (new Team)
Eels
Titans
Knights

12 Teams over 22 Rounds
2nd Tier
Ipswich Jets
Redcliffe Dolphins
Manly
St.George
PNG Headhunters
South Pacific Orcas
Christchurch Bulls
North Sydney Bears
Central Coast
Central QLD
Western Suburbs Magpies *
Balmaine Tigers *
*Demerge Wests Tigers

That would be cool

Last Week

Bench
The teams that finish in the bottom four of course

Can we call it the Premier Rugby League?

I can't wait to see a competition with Manly, Easts, Parra, Souths, Bulldogs, Dragons, Tigers, Panthers, Sharks and Newcastle. The TV rights value would be... different.

alien

Referee
NRL 14 Teams 7 Games a week. 22 rounds

Cowboys
Broncos
Roosters
Bulldogs
Warriors
Rabbitohs
Penrith
Sharks
Storm
Canberra
west Coast Pirates (new Team)
Eels
Titans
Knights

12 Teams over 22 Rounds
2nd Tier
Ipswich Jets
Redcliffe Dolphins
Manly
St.George
PNG Headhunters
South Pacific Orcas
Christchurch Bulls
North Sydney Bears
Central Coast
Central QLD
Western Suburbs Magpies *
Balmaine Tigers *
*Demerge Wests Tigers

That would be cool

division 2 should be 14 teams too. st george and illawarra could demerge (which would make 13 teams), and an adelaide team would make it 14 teams

is "South Pacific Orcas" a wellington team???

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Can we call it the Premier Rugby League?

I can't wait to see a competition with Manly, Easts, Parra, Souths, Bulldogs, Dragons, Tigers, Panthers, Sharks and Newcastle. The TV rights value would be... different.

Who says those 10 clubs make up NRL2? Besides with annual P&R both divisions are freshened up every seaaon. The NRL as a whole would have 10 games to sell per round so i dont see tv rights being negatively affected.

I find it strange that aussie sport is so exclusive at the proessional level and alsi so focused on rewarding mediocracy in its closed leagues with salary caps

Sinman

Juniors
The reason that less rounds is important is to make room for Rep games.. 1stly State of Origin on stand alone weekends.. Secondly Pacific cup on at the same time giving Pacific nations 3 games in the middle of the season (and possibly England NZ).. Thirdly a substantial international window and maybe even the opportunity of a couple of rounds of world 9's... That's why less rounds I think is important.. therefore to keep the same amount of content NRL wise you would want more teams reaching more locations.. therefore Perth is obviously significant in expansion..
I mentioned in another thread about the NRL apparently considering the idea of a conference system.. I think this might just be the key especially with the issue of distance..
If you wanted 20 teams then and example of this might be that you could split them into 4 conferences 5 teams each.. you play each other home and away and then like NFL and Super Rugby you don't necessarily have to play every other team once..

How exactly it is broken up??

But.. if you had a Queensland conference maybe with a PNG and another Queensland team..

And then a pacific conference including Melbourne and a second NZ team 2 Sydney teams that want to increase their profile in NZ?

and a couple of NSW conferences.. (perth I don't know where to put them)

It would bring more derby's and cut travel..

It would possibly allow the NRL to be more creative with how they expand..

The idea I just put out is full of holes but that's the whole idea of talking about it.. to improve things.. I really do believe though that in our next step forward we have to develop the Pacific..
1. For the sake of International RL
2. because we need to solve the problem of "not enough talent to expand" by going to places where we can develop talent and give talent opportunities.. In the Pacific there is lots of talent and if the opportunities lie in Union then they will go to union.. but if we create opportunities in League then many will go to league..
3. Because it's the point of difference we have with AFL... we can with not huge amounts of effort go to places the AFL can't..