What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2004 team

Misty Bee

First Grade
I don't think we bought anyone who deserves to get a walk up start in first grade over existing players. Smith loves Wagon (he was skipper in JC's absence). I can't see any of our backrowers DESERVING a start over Hindmarsh and Hopkins, who had a wonderful season with us. Jc and Morris are safe, and while Vella might be on this ice, Corey Pearson, a bench warmer for the Tigers, won't usurp him until he hearns it.

The new guys need time to fit into our style of play. Where we benefit from them is in depth. The bench will be supre this year, and when players get injured, especially in the forwards, the preplacements will be quite capable.

But as for just shoving Cannings, Thorman, Musprat, pearson et al straight in - no chance. They just are not upto it!

Redback71

First Grade
the hardest thing smith has next year is decided who will the spot on the team which is a good thing cause last year i feel the players got in a bit of a rut and lost the hungers for a win and we did not have enough quality players to there place next years there no problem with that and players know if they dont cut it theres someone ready to there place in premier and that breeds hunger and keeps the first graders on there tows or simply put they will be dropped

bartman

Immortal
While it's true you can't just go and make wholesale changes to start a new season, I feel that given the disappointments of the last two seasons, Smith (as coach) has to do something different for next year (to give us a chance of a better result - as requested by many on this forum).

To me, that thing is to throw open a lot of the positions, and tell players (old and new) that they have to earn their spots in the trials. We all know what our wonderful players are capable of - the trouble has been they are generally not showing it on gamedays.

By Smith throwing the first grade "clique" open and giving newbies chances at selection, this will motivate them and get them in the spirit as Eels, as well as (hopefully) putting a rocket up some of the existing guys who most need a form reversal! For mine, the players that should be expected to keep their spots based on form are: Jamie Lyon, Michael Witt, John Morris, Nathan Hindmarsh, Lee Hopkins, Nathan Cayless. The rest should all be open for competition through the pre-season.

Otherwise all we will have done with our recruitment is "add depth" (or swap it), instead of using it as a legitimate option to broadly increase the qualities of the 17 man sides that take the field. We need more than just a swap in our depth players to turn things around, and I will be disappointed if we start the season with the same 13/17 man line-up (especially the pack) who didn't do the job in 2003...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
My side

1. Luke Burt
2. Eric Grothe Jr
3. Jamie Lyon
4. David Vaealiki
5. Matt Peterson
6. Adam Dykes
7. Chris Thorman
8. Aaron Cannings
9. John Morris
10. Nathan Cayless
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Chris Armit
13. Daniel Wagon

14. Michael Witt
15. Michael Vella
16. Lee Hopkins
17. Craig Stapelton

on standyby

18. Chris Muckett
19. Shane Muspratt
20. Corey Pearson
21. Ashley Graham

Please don't ask me to justify my selections........and i know i left out Dean Widders!!

We Will Finish 7th.

Chipmunk

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
My side

1. Luke Burt
2. Eric Grothe Jr
3. Jamie Lyon
4. David Vaealiki
5. Matt Peterson
6. Adam Dykes
7. Chris Thorman
8. Aaron Cannings
9. John Morris
10. Nathan Cayless
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Chris Armit
13. Daniel Wagon

14. Michael Witt
15. Michael Vella
16. Lee Hopkins
17. Craig Stapelton

on standyby

18. Chris Muckett
19. Shane Muspratt
20. Corey Pearson
21. Ashley Graham

Please don't ask me to justify my selections........and i know i left out Dean Widders!!

We Will Finish 7th.

You are back Ron Jeremy? Where the Facari Rugs have you been?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Chipmunk said:
Ron Jeremy said:
My side

1. Luke Burt
2. Eric Grothe Jr
3. Jamie Lyon
4. David Vaealiki
5. Matt Peterson
6. Adam Dykes
7. Chris Thorman
8. Aaron Cannings
9. John Morris
10. Nathan Cayless
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Chris Armit
13. Daniel Wagon

14. Michael Witt
15. Michael Vella
16. Lee Hopkins
17. Craig Stapelton

on standyby

18. Chris Muckett
19. Shane Muspratt
20. Corey Pearson
21. Ashley Graham

We Will Finish 7th.

You are back Ron Jeremy? Where the Facari Rugs have you been?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was on location in Terrigal for women, beer & real estate......my father brought 7 acres up and is sub dividing so there will be 7 houses per acre.....i was marching the brickies around :D

Pazza

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
I don't think we bought anyone who deserves to get a walk up start in first grade over existing players. Smith loves Wagon (he was skipper in JC's absence). I can't see any of our backrowers DESERVING a start over Hindmarsh and Hopkins, who had a wonderful season with us. Jc and Morris are safe, and while Vella might be on this ice, Corey Pearson, a bench warmer for the Tigers, won't usurp him until he hearns it.

The new guys need time to fit into our style of play. Where we benefit from them is in depth. The bench will be supre this year, and when players get injured, especially in the forwards, the preplacements will be quite capable.

But as for just shoving Cannings, Thorman, Musprat, pearson et al straight in - no chance. They just are not upto it!

Misty Bee said:
I agree Eelementry. We need big changes.

Parra need to start strong. usually BS fiddles around with the side for the first half of the season, then comes home strong. I'd hate to think that we would be into Round 5 with patchy form. No one will gain confidence from that.

I don't get it Misty? do you want changes or not?

The Colonel

Immortal
I agree with you Misty regarding the new players.

Pearson I would think may start early in the season. He has been around for so long and will basically be on the field to provid go forward. Muckert, Cannings and Muspratt will eventually make first grade as will Stapleton but I wouldn't be surprised to see them start the year in first division - maybe one of them may make the bench.

Thorman I think long term will be the starting five eight. However how long he spends in first division will depend on how easily he adapts to the Australian way.

Given Smith's penchant for tinkering I wouldn't be surprised to see some unusual starting positions at the beginning of the year.

Freak

Juniors
My Starting side would be.
1. Burt
2. Grothe
3. Lyon
4. Vaealiki
5. Petersen
6. Morris
7 Witt
8. Cayless
9. Thorman
10. Cannings
11. Our king
12. Armit
13. Widders

14. Vella
15. Peek
16. Muspratt
17. Hopkins

That's right no Wagon, no Dykes. - You are the weakest link - GOODBYE!

Some may be suprized by the selection of Morris at 5/8, but I have always been of the opinion he is not quick enough off the mark at dummy half to be a great hooker. His kicking game from 1st reciever was great this year and lets face it, when he moved to 5/8 we were winning games.
All good reasons to leave him there. Anyway this is my opinion.

PB

Bench
i would like the 17 blokes who are in the best form come round 1. So if Mckinnon had gone better than Grothe in the trials and pre seaon training, he gets the start. Lie wise the fullback spot for Burt/Graham, the lock with Wagon/Muspart/Hopkins, the 5/8 with Thorman/Dykes, Props Vella/Cannings/Pearson etc...

Y2Eel

First Grade
Freak said:
My Starting side would be.
1. Burt
2. Grothe
3. Lyon
4. Vaealiki
5. Petersen
6. Morris
7 Witt
8. Cayless
9. Thorman
10. Cannings
11. Our king
12. Armit
13. Widders

14. Vella
15. Peek
16. Muspratt
17. Hopkins

That's right no Wagon, no Dykes. - You are the weakest link - GOODBYE!

Some may be suprized by the selection of Morris at 5/8, but I have always been of the opinion he is not quick enough off the mark at dummy half to be a great hooker. His kicking game from 1st reciever was great this year and lets face it, when he moved to 5/8 we were winning games.
All good reasons to leave him there. Anyway this is my opinion.

good side i think the only changr would be morris at hooker he made some good meters there this season and a few good breaks in last game against penrith wagon should play prems till he gets good...

PB

Bench
I also thought Wagon had a particularly poor year, but didnt he win the players player for the season? Going to cause a bit of disharmony and confusion if he gets dropped?!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
PB said:
I also thought Wagon had a particularly poor year, but didnt he win the players player for the season? Going to cause a bit of disharmony and confusion if he gets dropped?!

Yeah he did win it!......Wagon did do some good things for us this year.....espically against NQ & St George but??.....IMO he cost us a finals birth by not throwing the damm ball against penrith when we where up 10-0....16 nil the game would of been ours!!

Y2Eel

First Grade
1. Graham /Burt Or Prince if he bulks up a little our fullbacks ar too small i think..
2. Burt/Grothe
3. Lyon
4. Vaealiki
5. Petersen
6. Dykes/Thorman
7 Witt
8. Cayless
9. Morris
10. Cannings
11. hindy
12. Armit
13. Muspratt

14. Vella
15. Tslous/Wagon
16. Muckert/Pearson
17. Hopkins

4 forwards on the bench would be better then a small guy hopkins can play anywhere same as wagon...

Latest posts