What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 AFL Toyota Grand Final - SYD v WCE *Live Updates*

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
grand finals are traditional hard fought slogs rather a spectacle of skills, and this game was typical of that

if you only watch one game a year, its not the game to expect to see mark of the year (go Otto :D )

still pretty exciting stuff tho

CyberKev

Staff member
Twizzle said:
grand finals are traditional hard fought slogs rather a spectacle of skills, and this game was typical of that

Spot on!

It wasn't the most skillful game you'll ever see (same goes for last year), but it was still edge of the seat stuff.

The AFL would rightly be rapt with both deciders.

They know only too well that its all about the 'contest'.

lockyno1

Post Whore
So does everyone think we'll have a decider next year? I do! Fair dinkum these two sides are so far ahead of the rest. Adelaide with their top side could give it a shake but who else? Dogs, 2 yrs probally not next. The Dockers...well they are called the Shockers for a reason! The 2007 GF Sydney vs. West Coast part 3.

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
O'Keefe played well but not well enough for the Norm Smith. Great game. These two sides will play the GF next yr! Clearly the best 2 sides in the comp!

O'Keefe was well short of NS standard, Locky.

I also don't know which game you were watching to suggest that poor kicking cost the Eagles a ten goal lead at halftime. The Eagles were certainly the better side, but only had 5 extra scoring shots across this period and it was Sydney who had the worst misses.

I think the two sides were the best in the comp, but not clearly so.

Both should make the finals gain next year, but I've seen better premiership sides than the Eagles perform below expectations the following year.

Will be interesting.

lockyno1

Post Whore
O'Keefe played well. How good was his goal. He was a darkhorse for the Norm Smith, and played well. It doesn't help when your midfield gets smashed! Poor kicking was all over the shop. No-one could kick straight. Lets not talk about the 100 or so clangers in the game. Who else was up with these two sides? Adelaide..yes but they ran out of petrol and made the stupidest decision EVER..resting their captain in a prelim! FFS put him in the forward line! Sydney are my tip for the flag especially if Everitt goes there!

aqua_duck

Coach
The eagles are going to have a scary team in the next few years considering Lynch, Seaby, Hansen, Judd, Kerr, Waters, Butler, Waters, Selwood, Armstrong etc are all in their early 20's and have alot of time to get better. Then you got the guys that missed out yesterday like Nicoski, LeCras, Sampi, Graham, Staker, Hurn, etc who all have alot of talent and will push the current guys. Then you got guys like Cox, Embley, Glass, Hunter, Cousins, Steinglein, WIrrpanda, Fletcher, Braun and co who should all be approaching the best years of their careers. The only veterans they got really are Banfield and Chick

CyberKev

Staff member
aqua_duck said:
The eagles are going to have a scary team in the next few years considering Lynch, Seaby, Hansen, Judd, Kerr, Waters, Butler, Waters, Selwood, Armstrong etc are all in their early 20's and have alot of time to get better. Then you got the guys that missed out yesterday like Nicoski, LeCras, Sampi, Graham, Staker, Hurn, etc who all have alot of talent and will push the current guys. Then you got guys like Cox, Embley, Glass, Hunter, Cousins, Steinglein, WIrrpanda, Fletcher, Braun and co who should all be approaching the best years of their careers. The only veterans they got really are Banfield and Chick

Yes, but I wouldn't go panicking about it.

We can't be sure of how much improvement is left in a lot of those players, and other sides will not sit still over the years.

It also takes a lot out of a club to stay near the top of the table over a long period.

Red Bear

Referee
Was a very good game, unlucky for the swans. Barry Hall had a sh*tter but it happens.

No proof the Eagles will be up there for years. Look how good Essendon was 99-01, and look at them a few years down the track. Retirements happen, salary cap etc. Will no doubt be a force over the next few years tho.

2 True Blues

Coach
What a farkin year, Both my sides the newtown ( Bluebag ) Jets and the side I followed since my Jets were kicked into the grey zone of the 1980's from Rugby league before coming back to reserves in year 2000 ( The Swans ).

making both grandfinals in 2006 in their respective codes, only to both lose that grandfinal by 1 solidary point.

Words cannot sufficiently express the pain. But it's 2007 in no time at all. And bring it farkin on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007 Premiers : Sydney swans, and Newtown Jets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!