What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008/09 Champions League

Mong

Post Whore
My Sat Nav is not working, I just put Chelsea in and its saying 2 minutes from Rome..

shiznit

Coach
match fixing???? holy sh*t whats that??? I've never heard of that EVER!!!!

NEVER EVER HAPPENED!!! NO SIREE!!!!

you naive titbag

ohhh look... more Chelsea crying...

johnterry11.jpg

The Tank

Bench
It was just about as insane as putting a ref who has only had 10 CL games under his belt to ref a semi.

I'd say Ballack and Drogba will be hit the hardest as well as the club.

Look the ref made some mistakes but we should have won anyway. Drogba (once again) missed an easy chance and we paid for it. Barca were slightly better over the two legs anyway so they probably deserve it more.

four penalties he missed. the red card was nothing.

:roll: Yeah a bullsh*t red card in the second leg of a Champions League semi final is "nothing". I'd be fuming if it were the other way around. The ref was sh*t, and he was sh*t for both teams.

We were a man up, a goal up, playing at home, with a host of opportunities... and we couldn't finish them off... If we were good enough, we'd be off to Rome, regardless of refereeing decisions...

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The ref was terrible, however, does Hiddink know who Byron Moreno is? ;-)

Blog: Remembering Korea

Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink said last night’s referee was the worst he’d ever seen. But, asks Giancarlo Rinaldi, what about Byron Moreno?

The summer of 2002 is one I don't recall with any pleasure. I had to get time off work to get out of the office to watch the Azzurri clash with South Korea in the World Cup. I remember wishing I hadn't bothered.

And yet all the memories have come flooding back to me following Chelsea's elimination from the Champions League. The same finger-pointing at the referee, the same conspiracy theories, the same bitter recriminations. Except it has all been turned upside down.

Let us recall what Italy fans were told after they lost out in the Far East. "Get over it," was the main message. "You didn't take your chances - so don't blame the referee. You are just making excuses."

Well, Blues of Stamford Bridge, how about taking that advice?

How many times have I seen an Italian team which based its game on stout defence and great organisation go out to a late goal? We are usually told it serves us right. So why does the same not hold true for an English club side?

The conspiracy theory about UEFA not wanting an all-English Final is laughable. Magnificent as the match referee was, how could he have foreseen Iniesta's late, late thunderbolt? Without that, remember, Chelsea were heading to Rome. And how does the ludicrous red card for a Barca player fit into the theory anyway?

Of course, those of us long enough in the tooth to remember South Korea will recall who was sitting on the opposition bench that day. Yes, it was Mr Hiddink. So when he says the referee on Wednesday night was the worst he has ever seen it is hard not to think he might have a slightly selective memory.

Byron Moreno was streets ahead of Tommy Ovrebo in the controversial decision department. He managed to send a man off when he should have got a penalty. Now imagine if that had happened to Didier Drogba...

The match between Spain and Korea was worse, IMO, which puts into perspective how bad it was considering how bad the officiating in the Korea and Italy game was.

Football gods have evened it out. Italy/Spain for, Australia/Chel$ki against.

four penalties he missed. the red card was nothing.

Wrong.

#1. Understandable the ref called it just outside the box.
#2. Pique handball, fair enough.
#3. Same shout for Henry in the first leg not called. Drogba's diving reputation goes against him.
#4. Not a penalty.

Four shouts and one was genuine and one was maybe a little harsh. So, in reality, you have 2, at best, shouts for a penalty. Over the course of the two legs these are evened out by Henry's penalty shout denied and Abidal's terrible red card decision.

You can crap on about the ref all you like but that does not mask the fact Chel$ki could not score the goal to kill the game against 10 man Barca for over half an hour.

Where Chel$ki lost it;

#1. 100 minutes of football and one goal.
#2. John Terry doesn't score from the corner.
#3. Abidal sent off (harshly) in the 65th minute.
#4. Drogba passes the ball into Valdes' lap.
#5. The key moment that changed the game; Essien doesn't clear the ball but flicks it straight to Messi who immediately passes to Iniesta who scores. If that ball was cleared correctly then we don't have this discussion.

Typical reaction from a fair weathered, 2004 Chel$ki "fan."

The Tank

Bench
#5. The key moment that changed the game; Essien doesn't clear the ball but flicks it straight to Messi who immediately passes to Iniesta who scores. If that ball was cleared correctly then we don't have this discussion.

Yep, I know it all happened quickly, but I just knew they'd equalise after that happened. Happens on FIFA all the time... There's no break on or anything but I just get that feeling that they'll score and they generally do unless I hack them down quick.

Yep, I know it all happened quickly, but I just knew they'd equalise after that happened. Happens on FIFA all the time... There's no break on or anything but I just get that feeling that they'll score and they generally do unless I hack them down quick.

Except never in your favour and always for the computer :x

Game_Breaker

Coach
Well the Champions League pain continues for Chelsea. I feel for the players, they were magnificent over both legs and snuffed out a great team like Barcelona with great discipline and energy. We should of got the second goal and you always leave the door open for a great team to pounce and it was a fantastic finish.

Yes, you cannot have reactions like those of Drogba and Ballack. It is not a good look for the game and they deserve to be suspended or sanctioned in some form. Im not calling for replays, I don't like the ref receiving death threats, its all very unsavoury. Are Chelsea to blame for these ugly scenes or UEFA?

Why is a man with only 10 CL games appointed to a 2nd leg Semi Final of this magnitute? Why is a man plucked from relative obscurity when there are refs with big experience and regard out there? This man was clearly out of his depth and Chelsea fans and players have a right to be livid and disgusted by his performance which had a direct influence on our exit from the tornamanet. It is simply not good enough in a game of this magnitue to have blatant penalties missed or turned down.

This is the showpiece event of European football and to have an official make so many obvious mistakes is just embarrassing. I don't condone the reactions of Ballack and Drogba, I certainly understand the frustration. Its not like it was one incident. I bet my bottom dollar that you could replace the names Dorgba and Ballack with any other 2 players from any other side in the world had they been on the receiving end of such injustice. These are big stakes and emotions are running hot. You cannot expect grown men who work for 10 months to get to this point to simply leave the field without a word when they have blatantly kicked in the teeth. Please don't pin Chelsea as bully boys, this incident could of easily happened to other teams. I thought most players like Terry and Lampard handled themselves immensely in the situation.

This is nothing to do with Barcelona. I wish them well in the final and they deserve there chance to be in the final, they are a great football side.

Dont believe the Chelsea conspiracy theories

He has reffed more than 20 CL games. John Terry mentioned he only had 10 after the game, but thats wrong.

How come none of this was mentioned before the game?

The match between Spain and Korea was worse, IMO, which puts into perspective how bad it was considering how bad the officiating in the Korea and Italy game was.

Wrong.

#1. Understandable the ref called it just outside the box.
#2. Pique handball, fair enough.
#3. Same shout for Henry in the first leg not called. Drogba's diving reputation goes against him.
#4. Not a penalty.

Four shouts and one was genuine and one was maybe a little harsh. So, in reality, you have 2, at best, shouts for a penalty. Over the course of the two legs these are evened out by Henry's penalty shout denied and Abidal's terrible red card decision.

You can crap on about the ref all you like but that does not mask the fact Chel$ki could not score the goal to kill the game against 10 man Barca for over half an hour.

Where Chel$ki lost it;

#1. 100 minutes of football and one goal.
#2. John Terry doesn't score from the corner.
#3. Abidal sent off (harshly) in the 65th minute.
#4. Drogba passes the ball into Valdes' lap.

Typical reaction from a fair weathered, 2004 Chel$ki "fan."

Exactly, couldnt have said it better myself

The only penalty I would have given is the Pique handball.
Eto'o one wasnt a handball, he was just protecting himself, he had a split second to react, and the ball was heading towards his head.

Just because Chelsea screamed for a penalty 4 times, doesnt mean they were all genuine.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I thought there were two pretty obvious penalties. The Pique handball and Toure pulling Drogba's shirt from behind. The Alves one on Malouda was also pretty close IMO. So i think Chelsea had 3 very good claims compared to Barca's one in the first leg.

But its getting boring going over the same ground. If you can't hold onto a 1 nil lead against 10 men then you really only have yourselves to blame as your fate was clearly still in your own hands.

Ah yes, but still no mention of Henry being pulled to the ground in the first leg.

Drogba's diving reputation went against him.

It's not an issue with me, I just made a point and you shot it down with abuse. When you actually make points like above instead of just saying sh*t like I dont know my arse from my elbow, you are a good poster. Not that you would give a sh*t, but anyway...

I missed this. I apologise, sorry about that, carried away in the heat of the moment, sir.

hybrid_tiger

Coach

I agree on Spain vs Korea. The officiating in that and the Italy Korea game was just abysmal. Worse than yesterday.

But at the end of the day, thems the breaks. It all evens out in the end. One day Chelsea will get through a game in the same circumstances as Barcelona did.

In the end it was a f**ked up clearance that led to the goal. If Essien had cleared it properly there would no discussion. As bad as referees can be, they are very, very rarely the ones that decide matches.

Ridders

Coach
Since there isn't a thread for the uefa cup, i'll post here. Really enjoyed the Hamburg vs Bremen game, great advert for German football. I though the 2nd leg was better than any of the champions league semi finals matches. The icing on the cake really was when Rost went down with a shout for a penalty in Bremen's box right at the end of the game, couldn't ask for anymore. Diego' somehow being yellow carded for being shoved in the chest was joke, can't believe he's not going to be in the Final.

Jimbo

Immortal
Exactly, couldnt have said it better myself

The only penalty I would have given is the Pique handball.
Eto'o one wasnt a handball, he was just protecting himself, he had a split second to react, and the ball was heading towards his head.

Just because Chelsea screamed for a penalty 4 times, doesnt mean they were all genuine.

So you think the correct result is 2-1 Chelsea then

Okay...

Mong

Post Whore
I rather doubt that anyone thought that Mong was clever enough to come up with it all by himself...

No one claimed i did Jimmy..

It was pretty funny though wasn't it? Laughing at chelsea and the bandwagoners is always pretty funny..

Latest posts