What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Toyota Cup Grand Final: Raiders V Broncos

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no, he was offside, was he?. Unfortunate way to win, if so.

no, definitely not

mind you I had to replay it in slo mo about 3 times, dead level with the kicker

and still no one can kick a field goal

Sood

Juniors
no, definitely not

mind you I had to replay it in slo mo about 3 times, dead level with the kicker

and still no one can kick a field goal

Cheers

Grats to dugan on the jack gibson medal.. hes a gun, my fav toyota cup player.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
at the time the ball left his foot he was level

first time I've ever really put MyStar to good use (equivalent of Foxtell IQ for us country bumkins)

Big Pete

Referee
at the time the ball left his foot he was level

first time I've ever really put MyStar to good use (equivalent of Foxtell IQ for us country bumkins)

Twizzle I may have my rules muddled up but from the replays it apparantly shows one of the support runners to be offside? Is that true?

Either way I'd hate to take the gloss of the Raiders victory. Well done guys on a fantastic year. Just know though that our "second-rate" juniors took you to your limit. I couldn't be prouder of the boys.

*Paul*

Juniors
There's a forward lumbering down the middle who was offside, but not affecting the play.

Twizzle I may have my rules muddled up but from the replays it apparantly shows one of the support runners to be offside? Is that true?

Either way I'd hate to take the gloss of the Raiders victory. Well done guys on a fantastic year. Just know though that our "second-rate" juniors took you to your limit. I couldn't be prouder of the boys.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Broncos did extremely well to get there tbh. Without Beale for the end of the year, didn't even use Taylor and Moon also.

Congrats to the Raiders though, most consistent team all season.

Twigg

Juniors
Shattered here. What a bad fortnight for the club. :(

Broncos f*cked it up in the end.

Btw that broncos no try - I didn't really see what happened there cause I was getting a drink. Was it a forward pass?

Big Pete

Referee
Re. Twigg from the replays it appeared flat at best.

A bit unlucky but considering our clubs stance on the U/20's I'm still beeming.

Twigg

Juniors
Well we did look gonskies at the start of the season. I am happy for them making it this far. But it's just that they had a great chance of winning today's game. I thought they choked it up!

Hopefully some of them can get into first grade and kick butt.

JW

Coach
It was a bit of a choke. They had endless easy opportunities to end the game but the decision making was terrible at best - really lacked a good leader and some general composure. Mind you Canberra were in the same boat until a quick piece of brilliance broke the deadlock (congrats to the Raiders by the way). They're all still kids though, and both sets of players will take plenty out of it, especially an experience that many NRL players have yet to have.

I also second Pete's comments, this is a fantastic result for us. The way the club has set their system up meant we were odds on to struggle from the word go this year, and we did. But to come from dead last to second and then push the minor premiers - who some stated would enjoy a flogging of their opponents - into extra time is a wonderful effort.

Really excited to see a few of the faces out there today being given their opportunity in first grade next year too, with Yow Yeh and McCullough pretty much dead certs for run.

Raider_69

Post Whore
we didnt derserve to win yesterday but the best team in the comp won so cant complain, we didnt play well at all
the broncos really gave it to us, they were very unlucky

i too thought waddell was the difference

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

sorry mate I didn't record it, I just rewound it after the try

I dont recall seeing anyone else but I was only looking at the ball, the kickers foot and the receiving player

miccle

Bench
Fun game to watch aside from a host of basic handling errors. Last try was questionable, but so were plenty of calls that went the way of the Broncos. All in all, I love the fact that the refs and officials are forced to make the calls and go with their gut feelings. Makes for a quicker game, and this one was definitely entertaining.

Proud as punch of the Broncos young'uns. Horrid start to the season, really warmed into it and pushed the minor premiers for 88 minutes in the big one. Definitely heartbreaking to lose like that, but the Raiders are a formidable team and have been all year.

Congrats Raiders fans, a well deserved premiership for the first year of the comp. Some great young players on display yesterday too, the future of our game (and our respective clubs, if we can hang onto them!) is definitely looking bright. Picker and Dugan were super impressive for the Raiders yesterday in particular, while I think McCullough and Yow Yeh put away any remaining doubt about the fact that they are ready for the top grade.

miccle

Bench
we didnt derserve to win yesterday but the best team in the comp won so cant complain, we didnt play well at all
the broncos really gave it to us, they were very unlucky

i too thought waddell was the difference

Agreed on both counts, but just remember that winning a big match even when you're playing below your best is just a sign of a really gun team. The fact that your boys won that despite a host of errors just shows the class in quality and the confidence they have in themselves and each other. Deserved premiers.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Agreed on both counts, but just remember that winning a big match even when you're playing below your best is just a sign of a really gun team. The fact that your boys won that despite a host of errors just shows the class in quality and the confidence they have in themselves and each other. Deserved premiers.

Good point. We've done it alot this year, didnt play great but somehow we hang on and when the game is there to be won, we find a way through Picker/Dugan/Thompson or in this case - smith and croker
its a sign of a great team.

I agree with you too about the refs, no doubt there were some questionable calls on both sides but the ref made a call, the game flowed on and no one stopped for 20 minutes to analysis each minor call. And the game was more entertaining for that fact.

That Yeh Yow and McCullough were definite stand out for the broncos, Hunt controlled them well aswell and Spence was awesome off the bench for them. Hoffman was very safe at the back too. Some great talent on show for both clubs. Broncos fans should be and are rightfully very proud of their sides efforts this year. Remarkable given their start to the year

NYC has been a massive success this year and im pleased our boys are the inaugrual champions.