What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 World Cup Format

joshreading

Staff member
If we are to have a RL World Cup we need one that is respectable and not laughed out and also one that will make some money.

This is NOT what I would rather see in the perfect world but this is not a perfect world.

Only Ten Teams (maybe 12 if stretched or adapted)

Australia
New Zealand
PNG
South Pacific
England
Wales
France
Russia
Lebanon

and Emerging Cup Champion.

Questions: Why South Pac and not Sam, Fiji etc. In preference I would rather them in BUT South Pacific would be immensely stronger and have a bigger crowd drawing capacity.

Why England and Wales and not GB - well Ireland or Scotland might still qualify BUT England is coming to the point of good competitiveness and Wales is just on the horizon of having an explosion in RL.

Why Lebanon - they are strong in playing strength as an international Squad and their country is starting to really get behind League. Also as a crowd drawer they would be good.

South Africa might be a good option IF they show TRUE Domestic development and strength not RU pretend strength but real strength.

Just thinking any thoughts???

Razor

Coach
I'll say 16 teams

Have Australia, NZ, England, Wales automatic entrants (as SF from last WC).

Europe qualifying - Scotland, Ireland, France, Russia, Italy, Greece, Serbia, Holland, Lebanon (even though they aren't Europe have to go somewhere)

African qualifying- South Africa, Morocco, (Kenya)

Pacific Rim qualifying- US, Canada, Japan

Pacific qualifying - PNG, Tonga, Fiji, Somoa, New Caledonia, Cook Islands

Have I missed any sides?

Europe - 5 + 1
Pacific Rim - 1
Pacific - 4 + 1
Africa - 1

6th placed European team plays off against 5th placed Pacific team.

My prediction (placed on now)

Europe - Lebanon, France, Russia, Ireland, Scotland
PR - US
Pacific - PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga
Africa - South Africa
Playoff - Italy v New Caledonia - Italy

Alan Shore

First Grade
2005/9 RLWC
1. Australia
2. New Zealand
3. France
4. Pacific Islands
5. England
6. Ireland
7. Scotland
8. Wales
9. PNG
10. Russia
11. Lebanon

Minimum three spots up for grabs with an 'Emerging Nations WC' consisting USA, Morocco, Japan, Greece, Italy, Yugoslavia, the Netherlands, Sth Africa, Canada etc.

In-goal

Bench
I don't think we should merge the Pacific for World Cup events, i am of the belief that they could be a test nation but not a WC side catch my drift. 10 or 12 teams is max in my eyes anymore and we run the risk of massive blowouts which would be derogatory to what were trying to achieve.

A WC needs good planing and infastructure if it is to work, if the ARL are to announce this event they should do it in about 12-14 months from now, once the OWC is out of everyones minds.

There is more than enough support for Australia to host such an event but to be succesfull we need good contests and a big profit.

In-goal

Bench
Ireland had names like Ricketson and Campion running around for them in 2000, these players should never have been given this oppertunity unless they were willing to play for Ireland always.

Mango

Juniors
Let's be fair dinkum. You have a world cup as a celebration of a World game. World cups held by pretenders will only hold the code up to ridicule. Spend the time and money developing a world game and then celebrate the achievement with a WORLD CUP. Soccer spent over 50 years before their game was a real international event, Cricket, Hockey, Rugby have developed their games in a large number of countries over 100 years, but have only recently staged WORLD CUPS. Don't put the horse before the cart. League has to find sponsors willing to part with several hundred milllion dollars to develop the code outside Sydney, Auckland and the two northern English counties before it considers another farcical WORLD CUP. learn from history or it will repeat it's mistakes many fold.

Mango

Juniors
Stevo G,
As you know, i am not a league lover, but ignoring the points and the commercial realities will not make them disappear. I have sponsored sporting events with my own money(not always my preferred sports) but those I considered were commercially viable. You may be a young lad with little knowledge of the real world but please read my previous post as a serious contribution to this thread, it was not a wind up. The history of RLWcups is one of failure, do not ignore history or it's lessons. The world is full of failures that have taken that course.

dimitri

First Grade
the 1995 world cup certainlywasnt a failure

the 2000 world cup was only a failure due to the terrible weather conditions and poor programming which meant small crowds and big losses

a world cup in aus with plenty of promotion and hard work will do well

In-goal

Bench
RL was one of the first sports to have a world cup, unfortunatley momentum was lost some were and the international sceane just droped away. I personaly think the rot started when Australian administrators took over.

dimitri

First Grade
the problem rl has is that the international body has no power or authority over the arl/nrl and other bodies

Mango

Juniors
Dim & In goal,
Don't worry fellas, when you get to High School you will study comprehension. The subject is about how to develop the game of league, not trying to excuse the failures of the past. You lot will not threaten Rugby or anyone else until you can address your games shortcomings.

dimitri

First Grade
oh yeah thats right mango

perhaps we need to do what the yawnion world cup has done

grab hundreds of players from sydney club rugby yawnion and put them in other nations colours

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Moffo

Referee
Mango said:
Dim & In goal,
Don't worry fellas, when you get to High School you will study comprehension. The subject is about how to develop the game of league, not trying to excuse the failures of the past. You lot will not threaten Rugby or anyone else until you can address your games shortcomings.

We had a world cup almost 40yrs before you had your first one. What, you guys are into your fith world cup? Great effort :lol:

Our games shortcomings?? lol, get me a tissue, im about to cry

Cheers
Moffo

Mango

Juniors
Dim.
You are an embarrassment to the people on this thread that would wish to promote league. Your irrelevant comments label you in the 'too stupid 'basket. Please go to the league vs union thread if u do not wish to contribute to this discussion.

***MH***

Bench
(my copy from another thread but highly relevant)

i think a davis cup type championship will benefit international league a lot further rather than having one huge tournament at once,

having a tree, knock out style championship competing through the calendar year with the Grand Final at the end.
through the year, teams would play there way through the tree until they lose, leaving the two most consistent teams to battle it out at the end.

a tree like

Round 1
During April

Australia
v @ Sydney
Wales

Ireland
v @ Dublin
Lebanon

Italy
v @ Rome
France

England
v @ London
Papua New Gunni

Fiji
v @ Suva
New Zealand

Scotland
v @ Edinburgh
Russia

USA
v @ New York
Tonga

South Africa
v @ Cape Town
Western Samoa

Round 2
During June

Australia
v @ Beiruit
Lebanon

France
v @ Paris
England

New Zealand
v @ Auckland
Scotland

Tonga
v @Tonga
Western Samoa

Round 3
during August

Australia
v @ Brisbane
England

New Zealand
v @ Christchurch
Tonga

Final
during October

Australia
v @ Sydney
New Zealand

winners in orange...
example for progression in the championship.

it would be difficult to determine who gets home games, but im sure the tennis bosses running the davis cup has a way to do this,

Razor

Coach
Mighty Heighty said:
it would be difficult to determine who gets home games, but im sure the tennis bosses running the davis cup has a way to do this,

The way the Davis Cup works out who has home is

First time - Randomly drawn (both names go in, one drawn out - they get home)

After that they alternate.

Problem with the knockout system is getting clubs to release the players for the 4 weekends throughout the year required. With a tournament at the end of the year, no clubs will be on.

Mango

Juniors
get with it chaps.

Who is going to supply the money, What clubs will release players, how is a genuine national comp promoted in nominated countries...having a Lebanon based in Sydney or Tonga based in Auckland does not expand the game, but it does open it up to ridicule. What commercial entity is going to fund this farce.
come on chaps, grow the game first, then in 30 years celebrate with a world cup that means something.

Latest posts