What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Winner

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

Wallace is definitely in a more precarious position than last year.

The results may look much the same, but not only were expectations much higher for the club this year, Wallace is also now in the final year of his contract.

Richmond were never going to pay out on 1.5 years of contract, but they may not be averse to paying out on 0.5 years of it.

BWNB

First Grade
^^^

Wallace is definitely in a more precarious position than last year.

The results may look much the same, but not only were expectations much higher for the club this year, Wallace is also now in the final year of his contract.

Richmond were never going to pay out on 1.5 years of contract, but they may not be averse to paying out on 0.5 years of it.
They wont do any better if they did sack him though.
Wallace did say if the Tiges didn't make the 8 the season would be a failure and it looks like it will be one at this stage.

CyberKev

Staff member
I'm in two minds on this one.

When you appoint a coach for a season, I'd expect that he sees out the season.

That said, if you're in your fifth season and have lost the playing group, then you're only likely to do further damage the longer you hang around. I believe that the Richmond Board will inform Wallace that they will not be keeping him on next year at a meeting scheduled for this evening.

IMO, a coach's position effectively becomes untenable as soon as these decisions are made. It will be hard for Wallace to walk and forego the cash, however, which would appear to be Richmond's preferred outcome.

The Richmond team has clear flaws in that it lacks strong bodies and adequate across the board skills. Wallace has been hard done by, in terms of the heat he is drawing this season, given that they were never good things to beat Geelong & the Bulldogs. He does stand condemned for overseeing such a poor overall skill level at this stage of his coaching reign though.

Could a caretaker coach lift spirits and achieve more with the current list? That's the great unknown, but there's little doubt that the Tiger Board and a majority of Tiger tragics are keen to find out.

I would add that I think the Tigers could beat North this weekend, regardless of who is at the helm.

camsmith

Juniors
Probably not legal but if I were Richmond I'd be finding out how keen Collingwood is to keep Malthouse and how much they're paying him.

So I'd be keeping Plough for the season and hoping Collingwood miss the finals.

Getting someone like Malthouse to the Tiges would keep the level of optimism high for next year, putting in someone new and untested may not..

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

But you don't put in a bloke just because he already has a profile and can bring some comfort to the fanbase because of his name, Cammers.

Leigh Matthews would surely bring comfort through profile, but I sense he may struggle, in this case, to lift the team substantially.

You appoint the guy who gives you the most confidence that he can do the job to the highest level. Remembering that Malthouse, as with every coach, started out "new and untested"...

This is not to say that Malthouse couldn't be a good appointment, but Richmond should be doing a full process this time around and not just directly appointing someone on name.

camsmith

Juniors
What do you mean "full process this time around"?

In 2004 they set up a panel which included Parkin who looked at nine potential coaches and ultimately recommended Terry Wallace. How exactly is that not "full process"?

And yes Malthouse started out as untested but so did Danny Frawley, Mark Harvey, Tim Watson etc.. I think we've gone down the route of going for young fresh coaches the last two times and it hasn't worked. A Matthews or Malthouse is exactly what we need. Malthouse especially can get the best out of an average list (even though I believe our list is better than most rate it). It's not just about getting him for his name, its what he has done so far as coach and while Collingwood hasn't got a premiership few could argue they have done extremely well considering the talent they have had.

Collingwood need to decide whether they want to go with Bucks now or risk losing him to another team when in 2-3 years they (perhaps) decide to move Malthouse on.

If Richmond are going to go with a younger coach Hardwick would be the obvious choice.

CyberKev

Staff member
In 2004 they set up a panel which included Parkin who looked at nine potential coaches and ultimately recommended Terry Wallace. How exactly is that not "full process"?

It was a furphy.

They paid lip service to the process as soon as Wallace expressed interest and he was the only person who was ever going to be appointed to the gig, provided he said yes. By quickly offering a big money, extended contract there was little prospect of him doing otherwise.

To be fair, the Bulldogs also jumped at the first guy who came along, and have fared better.

It will be a big decision for Richmond, who will be sitting ducks whatever they decide if success doesn't follow. Over the past three decades they've mixed it up between experienced hands and newcomers, with neither having worked yet.

Wallace was an experienced coach (but was carrying baggage), by comparison, Frawley was a risky choice as a new coach, given his tenure as an assistant at struggling Collingwood.

Malthouse may do well if available, although the signs are that the changing game is swinging toward younger coaches, who are perhaps quicker and more willing to grasp contemporary tactical processes.

Regardless, there are likely to be several very capable candidates, and Richmond need to go thoroughly through the process, no matter who pops up during it.

They'll leave themselves wide open if they initiate a process, Leigh Matthews throws his hat in the ring, and that's all she wrote, there and then.

RUNVS

Juniors
If Richmond are going to sack Terry Walace mid season they should either go for Leigh Matthews or Kevin Sheedy and then they will have time to decide on their new full time coach for the 2010 season.

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

No way known would Matthews take-on a short-term caretaker gig at this stage of his life, particularly when he has it so cushy with his media committments.

RUNVS

Juniors
^^^

No way known would Matthews take-on a short-term caretaker gig at this stage of his life, particularly when he has it so cushy with his media committments.

Maybe not Leigh but i could see Kevin taking over as he isnt doing anything at the moment and he did used to play for Richmond back in the day.

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

LOL. He's kidding himself.

Richmond may let him be caretaker this season, but there's no chance that they (or any other club) would appoint the old coot to a full-time ongoing head gig next season.

RUNVS

Juniors
Gary Ablett Jnr surely isnt human. Another 42 disposals today making for a average of 37.8 disposals this year. That statistic is insane.

Latest posts