What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Four Nations Final - Australia v New Zealand

2010 Four Nations Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Boring game? I know the standard wasn't the greatest ever but it was played with intensity and had a bit of everything, I thought it was a cracker.

aarondoyle

Juniors
A good win to NZ. Unfortunately I think they played the better game.

It was great on the town afterwards. Everyone was mates, even if the Kiwi supporters couldn't keep the damn grins off their faces :)

Joker's Wild

Coach
I just watched the highlights for the 1st time just then as I went to the game last night and my god, how the touchies missed the massive forward passes in NZs 1st and last tries is beyond me. Very poor officiating indeed

Would be nice if we could have a game that isn't decided by sh*t house refereeing.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Or how the touchie missed Morris' foot on the sideline......conveniently missed that one out I see!

Joker's Wild

Coach
Ok Eddie I'll give you that mat but to be fair that wasn't in the highlights package I just watched.

Good to see that you're not denying those two passes were well forward though

beave

Coach
Congrats kiwis, too good. Too much hunger, Benji showing what he can do when he switches on.

Officiating was terrible both ways, how the f**k didn't the touchy see Morris's foot on the sideline in the first try is beyond me, I have sh*t eyesight and I could see it on the TV live that he went out. Archer allowed a fair bit of holding down in the ruck, both ways. The game was slow in patches because of it but actually made it a bit more of a contest/spectacle as it wasn't the typical NRL game that we have seen over the last few years where it's almost like touch football at times with regards to ruck speed. I actually like the ruck the way it was officiated last night (about the only thing I thought was done well). Anyone else think the 2 ref system is actually better, because after this tournament, I really think it needs to be implemented in the international game. We (Oz) probably benefited overall in the whole tournament from piss poor reffing to be honest.

Some inconsistencies baffled me as well, Fien was allowed to shove Thaiday in the face a couple of times off the ball (which is footy for sure, I personally don't have a problem with it as there is a fair bit at stake) but Bird (look i think he is a grub don't get me wrong) was penalised for his thing off the ball?????? sure a scuffle broke out but allow play on for gods sake, I can't remember what tackle it was or whatever but I just don't understand how that was a penalty.

Was the nightingale pass forward??? I reckon it was, but the fact Lockyer was there trying to intercept it/bat it down probably took the refs attention away from the pass trajectory. But at the end of the day, it was poor defence by the roos at the end that led to it and kiwis boys should have been shut down a lot earlier in the piece, Tonga defended like a genius leading up to it, was neither sliding or up and in, once he identified that it was 'on' it was far too late, his dive into Tuquiri in vain was hilarious I thought. The Benji pass in the lead up was nicely done I thought, he didn't over play his hand or throw into row 9 of the western stand.

I think these players should probably not be looked at again for a while. Tonga, Tuquiri, Morris, Gidley (who's d!ck is he honestly sucking??).We will be better once JT, GI, Hodges, come back, I would look at Darius Boyd coming in on one wing, but I'm not too sure on the other wing. Neither wingers played all that well throughout the whole tournament. Doesn't help that both centres can be a bit of a ball hog, but still...............

Anyways, congrats kiwi fans. Deserved it I thought, better team on the night.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
JW - I'd be livid if I went to that game. Nothing much between those two teams and in the end it comes down to Archer letting a clear forward pass go...such is life really.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
JW - I'd be livid if I went to that game. Nothing much between those two teams and in the end it comes down to Archer letting a clear forward pass go...such is life really.
we'd been trying to tell you he was crap, but you australians demanded a neutral australian referee!

Big Pete

Referee
We didn't need any convincing we knew Archer was s**t.

Still, Klein really isn't any better and for some reason everybody hated that Kiwi ref who I thought got every call right in the Aus. vs. PNG game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We didn't need any convincing we knew Archer was s**t.

Still, Klein really isn't any better and for some reason everybody hated that Kiwi ref who I thought got every call right in the Aus. vs. PNG game.

Silverwood and that Kiwi ref both perfromed better in the series imo and Archer getting the gig was probably at the ARL's incistence so I guess you reap what you sew!

Frailty

First Grade
Officiating was terrible both ways, how the f**k didn't the touchy see Morris's foot on the sideline in the first try is beyond me, I have sh*t eyesight and I could see it on the TV live that he went out. Archer allowed a fair bit of holding down in the ruck, both ways. The game was slow in patches because of it but actually made it a bit more of a contest/spectacle as it wasn't the typical NRL game that we have seen over the last few years where it's almost like touch football at times with regards to ruck speed. I actually like the ruck the way it was officiated last night (about the only thing I thought was done well). Anyone else think the 2 ref system is actually better, because after this tournament, I really think it needs to be implemented in the international game. We (Oz) probably benefited overall in the whole tournament from piss poor reffing to be honest.

No. Archer has got worse since it's inception.

The standard of refereeing has dropped because we are told that the game is too hard to handle for referees - but by giving them another referee, the video referee, surrender/dominant tackles, and all these other stupid things to make refereeing 'easier' is just making them more incompetant.

Referees today have the best conditioning training available. They are a thousand times fitter than the footballers themselves, yet they can't keep up? The game was slower in the 80s and 90s, but I tell you the referees were a lot less fit in comparison to game at the same stage - yet they got into position.

I'm sure the video referee was introduced for the referee to use if he wasn't in position to see the grounding, etc. But now the referees aren't working into a position to see the grounding. Touch Judges aren't making decisions because they will have the video referee.

If the game is really too fast - reduce the interchange (i'd prefer move back to replacements rather than interchange). Do NOT give referees 'help'. They simply become lazy.

I am willing to have mistakes made, but I want the referees making the decisions, giving their judgement. At the moment they just f**king babysit the game and let the video referee make decisions.

Frailty

First Grade
Whinging Aussies

Were the passes not forward?

Would you say that Archer gave Australia favourable treatment?

Kiwis = Always playing the victim.

Kiwi's dominated in Defence, but to allow those two tries were absolutely atrocious.

Izz

Bench
Yes because Archer really favoured Australia by letting the Kiwis score two tries of blatant forward passes :roll:
And once again an Australian neglects to remember all the blatantly forward passes Archer let through for the Roos v Poms that led, directly and indirectly, to points (which performance, plus his other this tourny, led to people questioning his impartiality and ability).

Typical. Just like the ARL 'forgetting' to bring the Bill Kelly Cup to the stadium on Sat night.

Last edited:

Latest posts