What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 World Cup - Netherlands 0 Spain 1 - FINAL

Noa

First Grade
No complaints from me, Spain deserved to win, Holland far, far to cautious. At least this will see the end of Van Bommel and hopefully a more traditional approach from the Dutch.

skeepe

Immortal
Howard Webb has ruined the world cup final.

Not only should it have been a Dutch corner, or even a free kick for the block on Elia, but Iniesta was initially offside, not when he scored but before that when he nodded it back.

What a disgrace.

fish eel

Immortal
I didnt think it was a block in Elia, I thought he ran straight into them. Mind you, they didnt really replay it.

Better team won.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Gosh I have NO voice and I am starving for a feast of Seafood Paella and sangría so I'll make this quick:

VIVA ESPANA SIEMPRE!!!

I hope most of you know (or can figure out) what the means ;-)

Firstly, the Dutch. Most of the players were gracious in defeat and are great sportsmen. Forming a guard of honor for the Spanish team after the trophy was lifted was great sportsmen ship. Also copping a lose the hardest way possible in the dying moments of extra time... that was commendable.

Most people think that it shouldn't have been a goal as a corner should've been ruled at the other end, however, I believe it was Karma, as Xavi should've been awarded a penalty at the other end and it didn't come through.

It was a frustrating final to watch. Both teams had fabulous opportunities that could not be converted. The best thing that I believe came from this game is that the better team won, and at least it did not go to the dreaded penalty shootout.

I am done, I have no voice left, and I am as spent as someone could be. I'll be back here at lunchtime after my feast. For now, it's time for a post-victory siesta. See you all in a few hours :D

Goodnight!

Once more...
spain-euro.gif
1498.gif
2SpainWink.gif

VIVA ESPANA SIEMPRE!!!

(...and yes, I would've preferred Australia to win instead)

Ridders

Coach
Navas was pretty good when he came on. Both teams squandered some pretty good chances. Given the result the one that obviously sticks out the most was Robben's first miss.

Thought Xavi was the best player out there. His off-ball movement is amazing to watch.

Moffo

Referee
Player of the tourney rightfully scored the winner

sh*t game though, and a sh*t world cup

Ridders

Coach
Was nice to see Torres somewhat contribute to the goal. Even if the defender did deflect it. Who cares

weasel

First Grade
\

Most people think that it shouldn't have been a goal as a corner should've been ruled at the other end, however, I believe it was Karma, as Xavi should've been awarded a penalty at the other end and it didn't come through.

Really didn't think that was a penalty. The spanish media are claiming it was, but it would have been extremely soft. Still Webb was very poor in reffing fouls, both teams players went down easily at times and he seemed to blow a freekick on every occassion.

The Dutch did some pretty nasty fouls in the first half. One by that prick Van Bommel which he at least got a yellow, and another by Sneijder, which I thought was the worst challenge of the game, just near halftime, although he somehow escaped a yellow card for that in a very card happy game. De Jong's kick to Alonso's chest was also very reckless. While I wouldn't necessarily agree, certain types of refs could have easily handed red cards out for all three challenges.

In the second half Robben was definitely man-handled by Puyol when he looked like breaking through for a chance. He was entitled to go down, and in that instance you do start thinking red card, although the presence of a second defender nearby might have spared Puyol. Unfortunately for Robben he stayed on his feet, but given his comical dive inside the box when the chance broke down, I'm thinking he might have withstood Puyol's challenge because he wasn't in the penalty area yet, and it looked like it backfired.

Moffo, You've made it clear on several occassions how much you hated this World Cup. I don't think it reached any great heights, but I still enjoyed it. My first World Cup was 98 and the one I've enjoyed the least is 06. Even weighing in Australia's games, which were all thoroughly entertaining and brought me so much joy, I got quite bored of that tournament. Most games were just really uninspiring to me. I think what I disliked about 06 was so many European teams making the second round when a fair few of them were actually dud teams like Switzerland and the Ukraine. With the European homeground boost gone, we got to see more innovative and attacking teams from other confederations get through ahead of the dull Euro teams so I was glad about that.

It's strange, I would say the three Euros from 2000 to 2008 were all much more entertaining tournaments than any of the World Cups I've followed. In those games the Euro teams (with the notable exception of Greece 04) always seem to bring a lot of entertainment, but when they reach the World Cup a lot of the Euro teams become really boring. Teams like Chile, Uruguay, Korea, Japan, Mexico were all very entertainting to watch this tournament. But stage this in Europe and teams like Denmark, the Swiss, Greece, and France find ways to finish ahead of them with the dour football they played.

Red Bear

Referee
lol, Xavi penalty? He stepp on the dutch defender then kicked himself and fell over, not even close.

I dont mind the cagey physical games, but geez how De Jong stayed on the field I wouldnt know.

Iniesta was average today before that winner, and going down easier than a two dollar hooker (as a few were)

Xabi Alonso is awesome

hellteam

First Grade
Xavi should have been man of the match (was he?), Iniesta is getting all the plaudits but he was terrible before his goal.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Xavi should have been man of the match (was he?), Iniesta is getting all the plaudits but he was terrible before his goal.
Iniesta was good throughout the match. The difference being is that when he scored the goal, the was exposed as the free man. It was not Iniesta playing well at only that stage, it was the Dutch defense falling over at the worst possible time. Iniesta was consistent.

Jesus Navas really impressed me. I happy when he, Fabregas and Torres all came on. I thought Torres was sparred a bit too much. He should've come on around the 80-85 minute mark.

weasel

First Grade
Tis much harder to win a Euro cup than a WC IMO

Well, yeh, teams who win the Euros generally have to get past several big name European teams along the way. So at least on paper it looks tough. In the World Cup a path through the knock out stage usually opens up with a few lesser known teams, so people assume the route to the final can often be easy. I think the days are gone, or certainly passing, where these presumptions are clearly true, although no doubt they will continue for a while still, especially from Old Europe.

But then again- Honduras, Chile, Portugal, Paraguay, Germany and Netherlands... is this an inferior list of opponents that Spain defeated than Russia, Sweden, Greece, and Germany? (Recalling they needed penalties to bypass Italy) With the exception of Honduras I don't think so, and Germany was better this time around too.

Don't know if the Champions of Euro 2004 would have got anywhere near winning a World Cup, if they'd even been able to qualify for 2002 or 2006.

I'm surprised that people didn't think much of Iniesta's performance. Was excellent I thought. Navas really opened up Spain's attack when he came on and Fabregas' cameo made me think Spain probably would have scored more goals this tournament if he'd been in the starting side. Torres looked quite dire again, but he hasn't been at full fitness this tournament.

weasel

First Grade
One more thing, almost brought a tear to my eye when I saw what was written on Iniesta's shirt after scoring. Nice tribute to Dani Jarque. I admit I thought of Antonio Puerta as well at that moment but apparently Sergio Ramos wore a t-shirt with his photo on it during the post-match celebrations, so it's nice to know these two players are still remembered.