What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 World Cup - Netherlands 0 Spain 1 - FINAL

abpanther

Staff member
I thought Iniesta was excellent, as was Xaiv, the whole Spanish midfield is just a joy to watch, makes you realise even more how amazing the setup at Barcelona is with Messi in that mix

fish eel

Immortal
Tis much harder to win a Euro cup than a WC IMO

Well, yeh, teams who win the Euros generally have to get past several big name European teams along the way. So at least on paper it looks tough. In the World Cup a path through the knock out stage usually opens up with a few lesser known teams, so people assume the route to the final can often be easy. I think the days are gone, or certainly passing, where these presumptions are clearly true, although no doubt they will continue for a while still, especially from Old Europe.

But then again- Honduras, Chile, Portugal, Paraguay, Germany and Netherlands... is this an inferior list of opponents that Spain defeated than Russia, Sweden, Greece, and Germany? (Recalling they needed penalties to bypass Italy) With the exception of Honduras I don't think so, and Germany was better this time around too.

Don't know if the Champions of Euro 2004 would have got anywhere near winning a World Cup, if they'd even been able to qualify for 2002 or 2006.

I'm surprised that people didn't think much of Iniesta's performance. Was excellent I thought. Navas really opened up Spain's attack when he came on and Fabregas' cameo made me think Spain probably would have scored more goals this tournament if he'd been in the starting side. Torres looked quite dire again, but he hasn't been at full fitness this tournament.

Key point - it's harder to qualify for the WC than a Euro. Get another big name in your WC group and you're looking at a playoff.

Bumble

First Grade
"It's a victory for football!"

Craig Foster is biggest c*** on the entire planet.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Pretty predictable in the end. I tipped Spain as the winners and to beat the Netherlands in the final, before the tournament started. I just wish I was a betting man...

The Dutch almost pulled off the feat of a 100% world cup qualification and finals, even with a defensive and cynical style of play. They abandoned the free flowing football of Euro 2008 because they were all about getting results, but the Spaniards have been the best team since 2007. Stats showed they were by far the best passing team in the cup, the Dutch who completed the 2nd most passes, still only completed 2/3 as many passes. While Spain were the lowest scoring World Cup winners ever, that probably is a more a reflection on how tactically astute top level teams are these days. Four 1-0 wins in the knockout stages proved to be enough. With Villa, Iniesta, Xavi etc I can see the Spaniards being big contenders for several tournaments to come.

Moffo

Referee
Really didn't think that was a penalty. The spanish media are claiming it was, but it would have been extremely soft. Still Webb was very poor in reffing fouls, both teams players went down easily at times and he seemed to blow a freekick on every occassion.

The Dutch did some pretty nasty fouls in the first half. One by that prick Van Bommel which he at least got a yellow, and another by Sneijder, which I thought was the worst challenge of the game, just near halftime, although he somehow escaped a yellow card for that in a very card happy game. De Jong's kick to Alonso's chest was also very reckless. While I wouldn't necessarily agree, certain types of refs could have easily handed red cards out for all three challenges.

In the second half Robben was definitely man-handled by Puyol when he looked like breaking through for a chance. He was entitled to go down, and in that instance you do start thinking red card, although the presence of a second defender nearby might have spared Puyol. Unfortunately for Robben he stayed on his feet, but given his comical dive inside the box when the chance broke down, I'm thinking he might have withstood Puyol's challenge because he wasn't in the penalty area yet, and it looked like it backfired.

Moffo, You've made it clear on several occassions how much you hated this World Cup. I don't think it reached any great heights, but I still enjoyed it. My first World Cup was 98 and the one I've enjoyed the least is 06. Even weighing in Australia's games, which were all thoroughly entertaining and brought me so much joy, I got quite bored of that tournament. Most games were just really uninspiring to me. I think what I disliked about 06 was so many European teams making the second round when a fair few of them were actually dud teams like Switzerland and the Ukraine. With the European homeground boost gone, we got to see more innovative and attacking teams from other confederations get through ahead of the dull Euro teams so I was glad about that.

It's strange, I would say the three Euros from 2000 to 2008 were all much more entertaining tournaments than any of the World Cups I've followed. In those games the Euro teams (with the notable exception of Greece 04) always seem to bring a lot of entertainment, but when they reach the World Cup a lot of the Euro teams become really boring. Teams like Chile, Uruguay, Korea, Japan, Mexico were all very entertainting to watch this tournament. But stage this in Europe and teams like Denmark, the Swiss, Greece, and France find ways to finish ahead of them with the dour football they played.

all those teams you mentioned though....none of the big guns (i think with the exception of Germany) really fired. Sure Spain and the Dutch got to the decider, but as you say, it was largely with dour styles.

Thats exactly what my problem with this WC was. None of the big guns really fired. I don't know about you, but come the biggest event on the calendar, I want to see guys like Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo etc fire up. And the reality is that all of them were absolutely sh*t. Add the debates about the vuvuzela and the jabaluni and really...the cons start to stack up

Look, I think some teams had a crack. But as a spectacle, I really never warmed to it. The breaking point for me was England vs Algeria...I struggled to watch a game after that. A lot of them just didn't seem that interested...

Everyone plays the same boring european style these days. The early 90s...so different, the south american and african teams used to play with so much more flare...now most of their players are sitting on big fat european contracts...and really, country comes second. you might dispute that, but watch how they played.

Anyway, i'd struggle to give the tourney more then a 3/10. i'm interested to know what else you enjoyed about it to be honest.

Cheers,
Moffo

Noa

First Grade
Maybe time for Fifa to experimant with some type of sin-bin to combat persistant foulers, particulary in big-games were refs are relectant to send people off.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
they'd need to bring in a video ref or something similar first imo

CC_Eagle

First Grade
"It's a victory for football!"

Craig Foster is biggest c*** on the entire planet.

:lol:
No doubt after the goal he quickly ran to the mens to rub out a few knuckle children.

The only good thing about the WC finishing is my evenings are now Fozzie-free. Considering he needs to be neutral when reading the news.

Ridders

Coach
What always makes me lol about Fozzie is that he's so open with his bias. Doesn't even try to hide it.

Bumble

First Grade
I lost count of the number of times he said something along the lines of "There's only one team playing football"

CC_Eagle

First Grade
I lost count of the number of times he said something along the lines of "There's only one team playing football"

not%20fap%201.jpg

Latest posts