What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NSWRL Junior Reps - Harold Matts and SG Ball

girvie

Staff member
It looks like Penrith sneak into the Harold Matthews top-8 after their win. Manly's loss to the Knights will see them drop out of the top 8.

Harold Matthews top 8 should be Illawarra, Parramatta, Souths, Newcastle, Wests, Canterbury, Easts, Penrith.

Looks like Penrith and Balmain will both drop out of the SG Ball top-8, with St George and Cronulla both moving up.
Likely SG Ball top 8 - Wests, Newcastle, Canterbury, Parramatta, St George, Easts, Cronulla, Canberra.

girvie

Staff member
It looks like Penrith sneak into the Harold Matthews top-8 after their win. Manly's loss to the Knights will see them drop out of the top 8.
I need to correct myself. Penrith did not win, they picked up 2 points from the bye.

Not really sure how fair it is to allow the teams with the bye to get 2 competition points. By giving them 2 points isn't this assuming that they would have won had they had a game rather than they bye. I think it would be fairer if teams with the bye were given one competition point.

Manly have won more games than Penrith but miss out. They didn't have a bye.

yappy

Bench
Excellent work Wests. Well done.

Penrith have had a shocker of a year. WA scored a big upset to knock the Panthers out of the SG Ball finals

half_back

Juniors
Full Time (Harold Matthews) South Sydney 20 def. Sydney Roosters 12

Full Time (Harold Matthews) Newcastle Knights 32 def. Western Suburbs Magpies 8

Full Time (Harold Matthews) Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 38 def. Parramatta Eels 6

Full Time (Harold Matthews) Illawarra Steelers 14 def. Penrith Panthers 12

Full Time (SG Ball) Parramatta Eels 35 def. Sydney Roosters 22

Full Time (SG Ball) Newcastle Knights 32 def. Cronulla Sharks 28

Full Time (SG Ball) Canberra Raiders 41 def. Western Suburbs Magpies 30

Full Time (SG Ball) Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 46 def. St George Dragons 8

Huge surprise to hear that's wests have been eliminated this early especially as many were questioning whether Canberra deserved there place on the back of an easy draw. Illawarra were also lucky to survive against penrith. From what I heard penrith dominated and a few errors and poor goal kicking cost penrith dearly.

blackandwhite

Juniors
Full Time (SG Ball) Canberra Raiders 41 def. Western Suburbs Magpies 30

Huge surprise to hear that's wests have been eliminated this early especially as many were questioning whether Canberra deserved there place on the back of an easy draw.

Raiders just ran the lazy Wests forwards around They were fitter and better drilled than the Wests boys..They made a lot of ground up the middle Wests couldn't keep up in defence.

The raiders halves & hooker played all over the Wests boys..The Wests halves looked totally lost on the other hand the Canberra boys were organised and played with flair.

Felt sorry for the backs David Nofoaluma and James Tedesco tried their guts out..but when the opposition Forwards are making so much ground and your starting your set on the goal line...chuck in a dropped ball, a half back shepherd, a kick out on the full and your always on the back foot trying to stop the Canberra forwards close to the line.

drago brelli

Bench
It's the semis and Penrith have no teams left in the comp. I watched the Penrith H Matts team play Illawarra, great game. In terms of physical size it was boys against men. Penrith had their chances but blew them. This Illawarra team is quite extrordinary. I have seen them play a few times and they are never ever beaten. They, along with Cronulla are the smallest teams in the comp. Illawarra was held up three times over the line. Illawarra should have won by more than 14-12. Illawarra should beat Souths next week based on what I saw yesterday.

Doga

Juniors
HM Bulldogs 25 def. Knights 24 - Bulldogs play Illawarra in the final
SGBALL Bulldogs 52 def Raiders 6 - Bulldogs play Newcastle in the final

girvie

Staff member
Newcastle must feel a little unlucky in Harold Matthews because they lost Sione Mata'utia to suspension for this week. With him they would have had a strong chance of being in the GF.

Tucantango

Juniors
Newcastle must feel a little unlucky in Harold Matthews because they lost Sione Mata'utia to suspension for this week. With him they would have had a strong chance of being in the GF.

I wouldn't be to concerned, the referee more than made up for Mata'utia's omission today. Nevertheless it was a thriller!

Can anyone give me an opinion on the Dog's bench player Hijazi being a contender. Like Atallah and Monds he has been the quiet achiever for the Dogs and has really come to the fore in the finals! He absolutely smashed Pangai today, and I mean smashed!!!!!!!

Regards,
Tuc.

half_back

Juniors
All games, with the exception on the second half of the last game (dogs v canb) were close and tight affairs. Obviously dogs v newcastle was the standout. Dogs fell asleep right at end of first half until mid second half when newcastle surged. Dogs should have wrapped it up before full time but on several occasions deep in newcastle territory unexplicable kept running the ball on the last rather than either opting for a repeat set, kicking to Morgan (who had already scored a spectacular aerial try) or kicking the field goal. Does raise question marks over Cox as he doesnt seem to control the game or read it that well. Thought Pangai was very strong he was constantly there go to man on the left edge and made plenty of metres continually busting tackles. For Dogs thought Morgan, Poleo and f**kof**ka caused plenty of headaches and made metres at will.

LeaguesFan

Juniors
Tuc,

See the Steelers and the Dogs will face off again. Might make the trip up if I dont have to work. Did you see both games on the weekend who went well for both sides?

Leaguesfan

Tucantango

Juniors
Tuc,

See the Steelers and the Dogs will face off again. Might make the trip up if I dont have to work. Did you see both games on the weekend who went well for both sides?

Leaguesfan

As Half-Back said earlier, for the Dogs it was Morgan, Kaupulu, and f**kof**ka. I also have to agree with him on the Dog's lack of vision with respect to being able to land a killer blow when they had ample opportunities to do so!

For Illawarra, their's too was like Doggies v Knights game. In the first half they were devastating, however they let the Bunnies back in the game during the second half. With respect to the performers, my hat goes off to Attalah. He is certainly giving the NSW selectors no room for doubt. Deejay's finishing chip and chase blow was pretty spectacular too.

Ultimately the try of the day would have to go to Morgan for his aerial spectacular ala Israel Folau style! Sydney Swans would be salivating at this one!

My prediction is the Doggies by 12 on a cool dry day. If its hot or raining, Illawarra for sure!

LeaguesFan

Juniors
As Half-Back said earlier, for the Dogs it was Morgan, Kaupulu, and f**kof**ka. I also have to agree with him on the Dog's lack of vision with respect to being able to land a killer blow when they had ample opportunities to do so!

For Illawarra, their's too was like Doggies v Knights game. In the first half they were devastating, however they let the Bunnies back in the game during the second half. With respect to the performers, my hat goes off to Attalah. He is certainly giving the NSW selectors no room for doubt. Deejay's finishing chip and chase blow was pretty spectacular too.

Ultimately the try of the day would have to go to Morgan for his aerial spectacular ala Israel Folau style! Sydney Swans would be salivating at this one!

My prediction is the Doggies by 12 on a cool dry day. If its hot or raining, Illawarra for sure!

I think i will stick with the Steelers rain, hail or shine but i am showing that i am biased being a St George Illawarra fan. Yes I did see that Atallah scored 2 tries hopefully he takes that form into this weekend along with DJ, Bird, Monds and co.

Tucantango

Juniors
I think i will stick with the Steelers rain, hail or shine but i am showing that i am biased being a St George Illawarra fan. Yes I did see that Atallah scored 2 tries hopefully he takes that form into this weekend along with DJ, Bird, Monds and co.

Sorry champ there was one other performer I left out, and his form for the doggies in the two or three games I have watched as of late has been superb. His name is Jake Kamire. Do you or anybody else know of him?

LeaguesFan

Juniors
Sorry champ there was one other performer I left out, and his form for the doggies in the two or three games I have watched as of late has been superb. His name is Jake Kamire. Do you or anybody else know of him?

Unfortunately haven't heard too much about him but see he has been named in the starting team this week along with Semrany. The front row battle this weekend could determine the winner of this game especially if there is a bit of wet weather which is expected.

aqua_duck

Coach
Michael Morgan will be a good un in a few years, this is his 1st season playing league. I work with his mum, and she told me Peter O'Sullivan was very keen to have a chat

Tucantango

Juniors
Tuc,

Leaguesfan

LF did you end up getting to the game (and you to Half Back if your reading this quote)? If not you both missed a cliff hanger come awesome game of footy!

Bird had a gun game and was so hard to stop, both him and Atallah scored great tries! On the other side Morgan again scored another spectacular Ariel try and kept Deejay quiet. I felt sorry for Deejay when he missed the field goal attempt. Golden point extra time was deserved!

Ultimately the hats went off for Coxy for yet another golden boot winning field goal, not forgetting his try also!

Regards,
Tuc.