What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 ROUND 4: Bluebags -V- Titans

Jesbass

First Grade
Newtown Bluebags -V- Gold Coast Titans

bluebagsf7s.jpg
-V-
2010gco-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 2 reserves for the visiting team, + 3 reserves for the home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 24th April 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Wednesday 4th May 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: Non Terminator
Venue: Henson Park

ground_henson_1.jpg

The officials shuffle onto the field, carrying the coveted (by some) Sandy Crack Cup which will go to the winner of this match:
sandy_crack_cup.jpg

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
Once more goaded on by the lure of the elusive Sandy Crack Cup, here come the Titans:

1. Amadean
2. Tittoolate
6. tits&tans
11. Titanic
12. Coaster

Bench
7. Titan Uranus
18. lockyno1

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Newtown Bluebags finds the bus stop and the team races onto the hallowed Henson Park turf.

TEAM: NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS - ROUND 4, 2011

RHCP (c)
AlwaysGreen (vc)
Willow (vc)
Timmah
Rexxy

Interchange:
Red Bear
JoeD
Ridders

Good luck one and all. :thumn

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Always Green gets the Bluebags rumbling with a 748 word effort.

################################

Three funerals and a jersey

I went to a funeral recently. The deceased was dressed in his best suit, a suit that he reserved for weddings and, ironically, funerals. At other funerals I have seen or heard of individuals buried in their favourite jeans, their wedding dresses or even in the raw.

When my uncle and aunt died they were buried in St George Illawarra jerseys.

Uncle John was a mad Dragons fan who in the sixties took his family from the Beverley Hills region of Sydney out to the wild west beyond Mt Druitt seeking housing and work opportunities. Thousands trod the same path, as well as those that the media and politicians at the time called ‘new Australians’. People with big hearts and small wallets escaping old woes and seeking new happiness. Like all frontier areas the area was a bit rough and ready as the various tribes took time to settle in.

Part of this settling in was transporting the football team they supported to their new home. My Uncle and his family wore the red V as part of their regular attire and the Sunday night League telecast was a ritual that no event could interrupt. The most fanatical of this tribe was my Auntie Chris, a tiny livewire who tore strips off referees and non believers. Some of these non believers lived next door, Canterbury fans that were equally fanatical. Across the street Parramatta fans staked their claims.

Throughout the great Penrith district the same thing occurred – every house was passionate about league and parochial about the team they supported.

Sometimes these allegiances and displays of triumph could become quite hostile and it was not uncommon to hear about an assault in which the cause was a disagreement about the results of a match past. In schools and at work, friendships were formed and enemies made along Rugby League club lines. The only thing that united the area’s fans was their mutual hatred of all things Manly and growing respect for the new local boys, the Penrith Panthers.

My Uncle’s sons played in the local leagues. Success here could lead to the big time and the avenue created by the Panthers inclusion into the big show in 1967 caused a slow switching of allegiances to the local boys. My cousins became converts to the Panthers, shelving the Red V for the brown and white and then the black and multicoloured Panthers jersey. My Uncle, a reasonable man above all things, accepted this happily but proclaimed that he would “never change my soxes”. The Panther premierships of 1991 and 2003 and the lack of success of his beloved Dragons in the same period didn’t budge him and the joint venture with Illawarra made his bond with the club stronger.

A life time of the wrong food and cigarettes caught up with my Uncle. Accursed cancer had come to take him. The end was slow yet happy as Uncle John spent his time doing what he wanted to do; lounging with the grandkids and watching the Saints go round. A simple man with few possessions he had just one request to his family. When he died he wished to be buried in his Dragons jersey. No suit, no psalms, no hoopla. His Dragons jersey was his treasure, not because it was authentic but because it was given to him by his kids on his fiftieth birthday. Uncle had lived in that jersey and he would die in it.

His wish did not come to pass. On my Uncle’s death my Auntie could not let him be buried in that jersey. To her it was him, that jumper and his love for her, the family that they had raised and the team he supported were one and the same. Uncle may have been gone, but keeping his jersey would let her have a little of him. His wish wasn’t granted but the family understood. The kids and grandkids went out and bought a new one and Uncle was laid to rest in that. A compromise had been made.

The agony of death did not leave my Uncle’s family however. Three months on from his passing more pain was to follow. Auntie was diagnosed with the same dreaded disease. This time death came quickly and harshly. No last requests were made because they did not need to be. Auntie was buried next to Uncle in his jersey.

They will rest in peace.

748 words

Coaster

Bench
image.php

Coaster kicks off his season for the Titans after a long preseason
(748 OWC between the dashes)

-----------------------------
The Price Ain’t Right

I love the smell of onions at the footy. This is not some parody of Apocalypse Now, but rather wishful thinking. To me rugby league has always been the crunch, the crowd, the sizzling, gooey steak burgers with ice-cold stubby chasers and Thelma, forever the canteen lady.

Often while I sit in the Legion area watching my Titans, I wonder why the place is not packed. The stadium is not without its faults but by Australian standards it’s pretty damn good. The team may not have won anything yet but it’s mine and I’m proud of it. I watch in amazement at the crowds in Brisbane dropping and the Cowboys, even now they’re winning, seem to have really lost their support. What is it that’s keeping the average person away? What has changed to repel all those diehards? Then it hit me like Bin Laden's wake-up call.

While sipping my coffee and reading the Courier Mail online, I read an article about Michael Searle trying to join forces with the Broncos and Cowboys to reduce prices. The story itself wasn't all that interesting until I got to the comments posted in reply that made me slam my cup down. Nearly 90% of the comments mentioned the same reason they wouldn't go to the football and it wasn’t the price of admission, it was the price of food and beverages. I agree with them wholeheartedly. The only thing I ever hear from people at the football is complaints about the caterers’ prices. You expect to pay for your entrance but it is the cost of footy food that makes you scratch your head and wonder where all that cash went when you get home.

All the stadiums in question are controlled by a branch of the government called “Stadiums QLD”. They are in charge of tendering the rights for catering at most major stadiums in Queensland. These catering companies have no association with the teams that play there and vice versa. The bottom line is that the team I support does not get a brass penny for any food and drinks sold at our own stadium, yet the very services these parasites are supposed to provide are driving the lifeblood of the clubs away.

These third party companies are not shy when it comes to charging. Last home game I bought 4 cups of lukewarm, mid-strength beer to take back to our seats. I was charged $26.40 and then another 60 cents for the cardboard tray. That is not capitalism, it is highway robbery. Mind you, most fans blame the club and are voting with their feet.

I contacted the Titans to lodge my complaint and was told "Patrons have the option of bringing their own home-made food like sandwiches, rolls, unopened bottles of water, and a thermos of tea or coffee into the venues." This is surely welcome news for most families trying to live within a budget and a fact that is not public knowledge. Still it offends me as to why Stadiums QLD do not open their franchises to free trade?

The entrepreneur in me cries to open concessions to competitive chains such as McDonald’s or Subway. Surely the improved returns would be attractive to the government? These companies already pay large sums to have their signage inside these grounds, so why not grant them preferred supplier rights? I am not an advocate of public drunkenness, however, a few beers at the footy? Surely beer sponsors could offer competitive prices? What about the flow-on to the consumer and the club?

You may consider me old fashioned but my heart tells me that service clubs or charities need my hard-earned more and I’d be giving something tangible back to the community. Does everything have to be so, so, so mercenary? A sausage sizzle, a large tub of iced cans and a doubles ticket would do me – I might even shout a friend or three.

2011 Price Comparisons:
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Mid-strength Beer (425ml)

Suncorp - $6.60 (up 30c) 
Skilled - $6.60 (up 30c)
 Dairy Farmers - $6 (up 50c)

Pie

Suncorp - $4.60 (up 20c)
 Skilled - $4.50 (up 30c) 
Dairy Farmers (only gourmet) - $5 (up 10c)

Hot chips (Large)

Suncorp - $5.20 (up 20c) 
Skilled - $5 (up 20c) Dairy Farmers - $5 (same)

Soft drink (600ml)

Suncorp - $4.80 (up 20c) 
Skilled - $4.60 (up 20c)
 Dairy Farmers - $4.50 (up 40c)

-------------------------------------------
Price comparisons courtesy of:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/...-1226028700504

Tittoolate

Juniors
Fresh from his yoga warmup TTL bounds on to the field, says something about Oscar Wilde to the Ref, and offers these 726 words below the line.

ODE TO THE BEER COASTER

IMG_4453.jpg

Oh! Sainted beer coaster of mean utility to guzzlers
Now thee has’t burst from tawdry bar-room chrysalis
To rightful, gainful glory and refereeing fancy!
Cosseted, stalwart friend of the whistle carrier,
In thy reflected glory we humble writers grovel
And beg small mercies of affection – our work to be liked.

To careless ale-spillers you but sop up drips.
None pause to ponder the secrets of your genesis,
From whence thy cardboard potency descends! Amongst
Recycling of yesterday’s papers, office detritus and unpaid bills
Modern coaster-masters with arcane law mix the spirits:
Justice Murphy, Diogenes, Jack Gibson and worthy Keats.

Late at night in the brothels, bars and boozers
When fun, frivolity and beer slops have dried,
The magical secret potency of Coasters emanates -
The very ether doth throb with Refereeing power.
Lightening crackles and tears from the ghostly nibs
Of superhuman writing judges from down the ages.

‘Tis said that Joan of Arc found her froggy-freeing destiny
Written on the back of a soggy Kronenberg mat.
‘Till her career ended atop a pyre sparked by dry Coasters.
Legend recounts how mighty Achilles waged war unabashed,
Loins girded in Mythos Coasters. He stoutly lead Myrmidons
Until a dry coaster slipped and sliced his Styxian heel.

In the modern era, Coasters ignite many a bar fire.
Causes inexplicable to sooty firemen, opaque for doughty underwriters,
This self-combustion wrought by careless acts of yokel barmen,
Who guilelessly stacked the Coasters too high!
Oh foolish youth! Could you not feel the self-righteous
Incandescence sparking from Referee Druid’s round tablet?

After closing time haunted images of humbled writers
Being beset by fiery discs hurled by refs’ hands
Echo around the pub. Lo! the wretches cry:
How we beseech thee! A fair and transparent marking scheme!
A Titanic Matrix where faith unfilth’d can flow!
“BAH!” Retorts the ethereal CricketWood spectre.

“We mighty referees, adorned in black and white
Have no need for mortal, terrestrial constraints.
Our wit, our vigor, our intellectual omnipotence
Cannot be bound by such mechanical artifices.
We have our Coasters! Tremble foul writing wretches
From up north! The Coaster RULES! HA HA!”

And so the humble beer coaster erupted onto the field
Of league writing battle. Heretofore defined by disposability
The coaster is raised iconic, in whose presence the F7s tremble.
‘Tis a thing of wonder that a round of stained cardboard
May so easily supplant alternative scoring systems
Founded on fairness and reasonableness, free of bias.

Distributed in multitudes by brewery proselytizers,
Jauntily proclaiming favored boozy beverages
Or the footy club; our winter sanctuary. Such
Coasters this Easter in the erudite, inventive, modest
Hands of his lordship Sir CricketWood The Unbiased
And his enraptured adherents, are born anew! Hallelujah!

As faith is the willing suspension of disbelief,
So too are we called to accept the divine wisdom
With which the coaster-scribbler is imbued by virtue
Of a coaster-borne system for ninnies. We must have
Faith that a robust and transparent structure so encumbers
The sainted Ref’s creativity as to render him mortal.

We writers ’ware this sizzling Coaster potential, oh yes!
We keep our Coasters well soaked in beer; the beery antidote
To pontification is efficacious in India, China and Oz.
A dry Coaster is not our friend. There we spy arcane runes
Emerging on the round as it dries. “I don’t like it!”
“Hate Queenslanders!” “Quoth League each sentence!”

Some gilded youths less robust than Titans
Do publicly rail ‘gainst Coaster bred unfairness
And so debase their reputation with peers.
Oh youth! Harken to the Titans and their Captain!
Seek first to offer the fruits of intellect and experience
So one day CricketWood et al use Coasters just for beer.

And so we tremble while pondering enlightenment that
Drips from Coaster and Pen near matches’ end.
We wonder “are we liked?” and “could I mention League more?”
Quietly in homes and clubs we elevate this refereeing icon;
Placing coasters in castle’s pool room, or atop the ‘fridge with lotto tickets.
Forcibly we suspend disbelief; genuflect to ill-considered cardboard.

But when all is done, and said, and written, and argued,
And represented and ignored we robust Titan writers
Shake off Coaster-borne barbs. Standing proud and undaunted
To liberally adorn palates and Coasters with foamy ale.
The Titan team will fight on, though heavily de-marked
For not being liked. Pen! Paper! Originality! Grammar! Hurrah!

Last edited:

tits&tans

Juniors
image.php

tits&tans for the Titans snorts, squeals and oinks onto the field ...

748 words (OWC) between the stars

pigs%20might%20fly.png

Daggie Dogfoot

As one of the most intelligent domestic animals, pigs have copped a fair bit of flak over the years and many derogatory expressions have become standard usage. Actually, isn't it an oxymoron to refer the forwards as the pigs? Anyway, how often have I heard that Bazza is "sweating like a pig"? Pigs don’t even have sweat glands. Or that Wazza looks "as happy as a pig in poo"? Pigs actually bathe in mud to prevent sunburn and reduce infection.

Pigs have played a major role in not only the history of human civilization, but more importantly in the development of League. Pigs were domesticated in China around 4900 BC and had made their way to Europe by 1500 BC. Whilst Jewish and Muslim laws banned the consumption of pork, it was under Christianity that the pig flourished. Pigs are supremely efficient at converting feed to meat, produce plentiful fertilizer, sows farrow quickly and the meat is delicious; hence they've become prevalent across the world, in particular in China (1 for every 3 people). There are approximately 170 million pigs in Europe, 70 million in the US/Canada and 32 million in Brazil. Interestingly, Denmark is the only country to have more pigs than people.

Growing up, one of my favourite pigs was this article’s namesake (more recently published as “Pigs Might Fly”). It’s a wonderfully uplifting story about the runt of a litter becoming a hero and it occupied a special place on my bookcase for many years.

In fact, so important is the unassuming pig to the origins of our game, that it’s astounding that we don’t see the hog more often (or at all) in any of our teams’ names.

It’s the shape of the pig’s bladder which is reputed to have given the rugby ball its distinctive shape. Due to the difficulty of manually inflating the bladder with only lung power and a clay pipe, by the 1880s the ball was being commercially manufactured and soon approximated today’s shape and size.

What originally attracted me to this suilline and celestially mathematical problem was watching a centimetre-perfect 40/20 that tragically veered out on-the-full. I began to think about how the flying pigskin actually flies.

As much as league is thought of as a handling game, the more commonly used method to propel our porcine friend into orbit is the kick. Whether it’s an midfield bomb, chip, grubber, torpedo, drop or place kick, the outcome the same: the adynaton comes true - pigs actually do fly.

To analyze the flight of a prolate ellipsoid, it's initially necessary to model it as a simple particle. Assuming an identical release and landing height and constant horizontal velocity, the kinematic equations for motion for a symmetrical trajectory can be solved for
s (flight distance of the ball): s = (u2 sin2A)/g.

To model reality, two additional factors are needed:

• Air resistance
  • Magnus effect
We see the Magnus effect in the curved flight path of all balls that are thrown or kicked and, at the same time, spun. As a spinning ball moves, it creates a boundary layer of air that clings to its surface. On one side of the ball this boundary layer collides with passing air, causing the air to decelerate (high pressure). On the opposing side, the layer is moving in the same direction as the passing air, so there is no collision and the air collectively moves faster (low pressure). The pressure differential creates a lift force that causes the ball to move from the high to low pressure area.

When kicked in a spiral punt the pigskin spins about its longitudinal axis and if this is in the direction of motion there will be no Magnus effect. However, as soon as some yaw develops there will be some Magnus effect. Particularly in the case of cross- or head-winds or misjudged timing, this can be effective in causing the ball to drift to the right or the left, whether deliberate or accidental.

Before I drift into the translucent world of fluid dynamics and celestial mechanics or digress into the mechanics of a forwards-moving backwards pass, I’ll return to the here and now. I would like to ask of you that, occasionally, when you are munching on a sausage sizzle at the game or soaking up last night’s celebrations with a flaky sausage roll, you stop and think about the humble pig and how its flying ability and urinary sac have defined our modern game.

RHCP

Bench

RHCP takes the field for game number two, except this time not naked from the waist up

749 words below

-

A Numbers Game

A man who many considered to be wise, but to any educated fellow was obviously not (no, not Phil Gould) once made the statement ‘Premierships are not won in March’. This man, whoever he was, be it BunniesMan , Gaba or some other unknown man at the pinnacle of Rugby League knowledge is best described in one word: imbecilic. Punters, pay attention to this article; it shall lead you to the winning premiership pick.

Numbers are man’s best friend, even more so than the loyal dog, ice cold beer or reliable right hand on a cold lonely evening. They cannot lie and would not challenge that integrity even if they had the option, they paint a picture with no colour without interpretation, they present facts and expose lies. Numbers cannot be disputed, and Rugby League thrives on numbers. Tries scored, crowd attendance, contract figures, the amount of balls Ox will drop, the age of a player and the number on his back, they all contribute to the game in different ways.

Numbers expose lies perpetuated by ignorance, such as ‘Premierships are not won in March‘. Here are some numbers that might spark your interest young inquisitive fans .

The number of teams that have won the premiership in the NRL era (post 1998) from outside the top four: zero. Therefore one can conclude with confidence that the winner of the NRL in 2011 will be a team finishing the season inside the top four.

Here’s another interesting statistic that in tandem with the aforementioned magic number of zero forms a powerful combination. If someone were to ponder what the number of premiership winning teams in the NRL era outside of the top eight at the finale of round eight, the answer they would get also be zero.

That means that unfortunately for the long suffering fans of those outside the eight, they will not be winning the premiership this year. No premiership fairytale in Cronulla’s last season, no maiden Kiwi club title and another off-season of LOLing@50uffs.

And so there were eight. Eight sides still in contention for the top four and the 2011 premiership. But how do we know what teams will finish in the top four? Speculation? Octopuses? No, of course not. We shall use numbers!

23 of the 26 teams to be placed first and second at the end of round eight since 1998 have gone on to a top four finish. That’s 88%. With that number in mind, it’s safe to say the Dragons and Broncos will be hanging around at the business end of the season.

The water is murkier when it comes to the final two places. There’s several stats which one could use to rationalize the inclusion of any of the remaining six sides.

For example, the Wests Tigers have only made the finals twice since their debut season in 2000. That’s a strike rate of 1 in 5. Or, albeit illegal, a less level headed fan could cite the finals successes of the Melbourne Storm.

But the best number to put your money behind in Rugby League is zero. Yet another juicy duck egg sits next to the amount of times the Bulldogs have missed consecutive finals series since 1998. The Bulldogs are the undisputed masters of the bounce back, having not missed the top eight in consecutive seasons since the inception of the NRL and finishing in the top four every time they perform their trademark off season transformation. With this in mind, the Bulldogs will take the second to last place in the top four.

The other big zero sits next to the Newcastle Knights, but in less flattering circumstances. Without the greatest player of all time in their squad, the Novocastrians have never had a top four finish.

With the demise of the Broncos last season, the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles currently hold the longest finals streak, not missing out on September footy since 2004, and collecting a premiership and another grand final appearance in the years since then. The Silvertails will round out the top four, the rest of the sides in contention falling to the wayside.

But do pray tell RHCP, which horse should I back with my cold hard cash? Well with the word count encroaching my fellow fan, there won’t be enough time to reveal that secret. But there is one thing that you can be 100% certain of. 2011 is a write off, for 2012 will be the year of the Rabbits!

Rexxy

Coach
5686374948_b2b514cbea_z.jpg

http://www.myfakewall.com/w/Rex+C+Hunt

start->

FAKEBOOK

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Donut Shaper at Krispy Kreme. Studied at School of Uncertainty. In a relationship with Jacqueline Magnay. Lives in Sydney. Born 1/1/1.

4/4/11-Like-Comment-Share-See-Friendship

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
When things get me down, and the world seems confusing, I like to call on the wisdom of the greats. Problem is, many of the greats of the rugby league are no longer of this world and out of contact. Until now.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
I can't imagine you as the Facebook type, Jack?

11-and-2-people-like-this

Big-Jack-Gibson
Technology was never a problem for me, Rexxy. I was first to introduce video and weights, remember?
111-and-2-people-like-this

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
How are they treating you up there?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Can't complain. See all the games on TV and there's some park footy to watch.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
What's the standard of the local comp like?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Surprisingly good. Saw a 130-year-old Dally Messenger score a runaway try using a walking frame. He was still faster than Ben Creagh.

999-and-22-people-like-this

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Do you still take an interest in what's happening down here? Your thoughts on the Independent Commission?

Big-Jack-Gibson
In the race of life, always back the horse called self interest. Having said that, John Quayle is a good man. Probably too good....

222-like-this

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
What do you think of two refs?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Twice the refs, twice the mistakes. They should rename them "egg timers"

333-and-33-people-like-this

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Egg timers?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Yeah. They blow the whistle every four minutes.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
That reminds me you were known for many colourful quotes.

Big-Jack-Gibson
Like Ding Dong The Witch is Dead?

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
When Parra broke their drought?

Big-Jack-Gibson
No, it was when Rebecca Wilson got sacked from the Sunday Telegraph. Dead set, that woman could give a Panadol a headache

999-like-this

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Who's currently your favourite footballer?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Adam McDougall. I've been following him since he played for the first Newcastle team.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
In 1988?

Big-Jack-Gibson
No, the first time around in 1908. To look so young he must have done a Dorian Grey deal with Reebs.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Reebs?

Big-Jack-Gibson
That's how we refer to Lucifer here. Reebs, or JR or simply Ribot. French for the one with the cloven hoof.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Are there many footy fans up there Jack?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Is the Pope a lawnmower?

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Tell us about them.

Big-Jack-Gibson
When I arrived St Peter said "Here are the Eels fans, over there are Panther fans, and over there, Bronco fans"

I said "who are those people behind that large stone wall?". He said "They're Manly fans, they think they're the only ones queer."

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
???

Big-Jack-Gibson
Hair.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
huh?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Here .... Bloody predictive text. You get the idea.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Who will win the comp this year, Jack?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Dragons. Jamie Soward is so quick .... He can switch off the light and get into bed, before the room is dark. With his headgear removed.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
How do you keep up with what's happening? With your pension can you afford cable?

Big-Jack-Gibson
What's cable? I log into VIPstand.net on my iPad, free. Sweet.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
You coached at Shark Park, what's going to happen with their development down there?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Waiting for the Sharks Development is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt... and I should know. I'm Harold's bookmaker.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Any advice for them?

Big-Jack-Gibson
Yes. Change the song from "Roll Out the Barrel" to Mozzie-Mozzie-Mozzie Oi-Oi-Oi ... They should also change their name...

Big-Jack-Gibson
to Cron-LOL-a.

10129032917329817328937219833289271378923218379-like-this

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
LOL indeed. Any other old mates up there? Seen the Grasshopper?

Big-Jack-Gibson
He never made it up. Who would have thought God was a New South Welshman?

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
My allotted Facebook time is almost up, so anything else you want to say to young footballers?

Big-Jack-Gibson
There's always free cheese in a mousetrap. Always kick it to the seagulls and talent is secondary - being confident is what matters. Do that and you'll do good and play strong.

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Just one more thing. Can I get you to count up to 750?

Big-Jack-Gibson

Why?

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Long story.

Big-Jack-Gibson
701 659 713 679 708 702 732 641 664 710 662 686 652 666 661 651 658 631 634 637 687 713 672 690 699 740 701 661 739 725 702 747 697 721 714 743 703 677 716 665 658 646 690 700 651 653 699 652 652 727 715 697 697 644 744 749 638 740 679 694 747 707 750 721 747 660 713 674 681 747

Big-Jack-Gibson
You didn't say in what order. hahahahahahahaah!

Rexxy-4-Bluebags
Thanks Jack Gibson. It's been an honour.

<ends

http://www.myfakewall.com/w/Rex+C+Hunt

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
Titanic for the Titans, tightens his tights and raises his voice two octaves. (750 OWC)

self-hatred.jpg

Dear F7’s Referees’ Boss

I have reached my wits’ end and don’t know where else to turn.

Although my love of rugby league is undiminished, I’m faced with a dilemma. My relationship with the greatest game is fast becoming more hate than love, as I now demonstrate:

I hate hearing that Willie Mason’s changing clubs again. Nobody cares, not even his mother who still thinks he’s in Townsville.

I hate uncontested scrums. One man, pushing two men’s heads up three men’s bums for the sole purpose of pleasing another grown man dressed in pink.

I hate the referees. I was going to type “video” there but I realised that they weren’t alone. I considered “touchies” also but since the advent of the pocket referee they’ve nearly vanished into extinction.

I hate the delays in forming the Commission … you know, the independent commission. Then again what can you expect from an organization that forms a committee to select a committee because they have too many committees?

I hate the endless series of odds that are quoted during the match commentary. They’ve permeated the panel shows and even the LU website. I’ll bet you a Houston to a Wicks that Tandy gets off scot-free.

I hate losing. No I don’t. There must some losers each week because if every round was full of draws then Des Hasler would have to spend some time coaching and Sharks fans would live in hope until September.

I hate the Indigenous Dream Team. The forgotten nation parades around feeling deadly, everybody loving each other then they hit the field and bash each other senseless only to love each other again. Bring back the biffo. No don’t, there is something quite unsettling about the memory of Ian Roberts belting poor “Jimmy” Jack.

I hate the All Stars who feature more withdrawals than Debbie Does Dallas and are about as committed to the circus as Matt Cooper is to City/Country.

I hate the uniforms that represent the chameleon that rugby league has become. It may be that men have transcended any stigma attached to wearing body-hugging fluorescent-coloured gear but not in my house, ducky.

I hate Ray Warren and Gus Gould’s banter nearly as much as I hate Gary Belcher and Laurie Daley feeling each other up over a Raiders game. Where’ve you gone Jason Costigan with your Steedens and your horns?

I hate Idris. You may ask why do I hate Jamal when everybody adores him? His lack of defence and poor aerobic fitness aside, no rugby league player can be that nice.

I hate MG and his permanently unshaven dial with his permanently shaven dome. There was a rumour that the CIA was closing in until they discovered his lookalike in Pakistan and iced him.

I hate David Gallop and his puppet-masters at News. How I miss those heady days when Arko and the Cannon ruled the roost. When Bears were more than a reflection of the economy and the Blues were competitive.

I hate the NRL clubs and their rapacious greed. In club-speak the term “expansion” refers to their bank balance. Worthy contenders Perth and Gosford will get trampled in the dash for cash when the new media deal is done.

I hate test football because it destroys my Fantasy Team and causes me to think. What with byes, selections, replacements and feigned injuries… it’s just not fair.

I hate Wally Lewis because the bloody Emperor looks old and he’s the same age as me. Furthermore, he refuses to play for Queensland just as Locky is giving it away.

I hate the qualification rules for establishing player eligibility. It’s clear that if a player wants to play for or is wanted by Queensland then he’s right but everybody else must play scissors, paper, rock blindfolded.

I hate Craig Bellamy because he frightens poor Kevvie Walters who never did anything to harm anybody.

I hate State of Origin because it only lasts for three games and one day Queensland will lose. I want to invest in a time machine so I don’t get ulcers again this year but the neighbourhood clairvoyant conjured-up a “666” response, so I think I’m safe.

I hate the boutique beers that have led Todd Carney et al astray and have endangered real drinks like Bundy.

Finally, I hate myself, my self-loathing and my negativity.

Help me find the righteous pathway, Mr. Referees’ Boss, I must regain the love that has until recently sustained me.

See you N.T.

Titanically yours.

Amadean

Juniors
Amadean the Analyst with 737 words for the Titans and an awesome pocket calculator.

image.php

-------

Chris Sandow and Salary Cap Economics

salary-cap.jpg

Fresh off the wire comes the news that South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow is moving to the Parramatta Eels for next season. Russell Crowe&#8217;s Twitter feed informs us the halfback will be paid $550,000 a year at the Eels, a figure many pundits believe is too high. High or not, the fact is that Chris Sandow would likely be paid more still were there no salary cap. In essence, a salary cap transfers capital from players to clubs.

John Fairfax, a Fox Sports commentator, noted that world-class players such as Darren Lockyer and Benji Marshall were struggling to earn $550,000 a season, and that Sandow&#8217;s worth compared to other players in the NRL was more likely between $300,000 and $400,000. This back-of-the-envelope estimate is undoubtedly up for discussion, but that the NRL salary cap weighs heavily on all player payment talks is not. It is in fact easily demonstrable.

The NRL salary cap for 2011 is $4,100,000 in total for the highest-paid 25 players at each club. Each club is able to freely allocate this sum as they wish amongst their players. For the purposes of this analysis these facts have two important consequences: each club is equally able to bid for marquee players, and that any increase in salary for one player must be paid for through decreases in his team-mates salaries. As a result, Crowe&#8217;s tweet was excellent news for clubs competing with the Eels (it meant the Eels would be less able to bid for other players, as they&#8217;d blown a wad on Sandow) and very bad news for current Eels players (as their potential salaries were now more limited).

These two examples clearly demonstrate how salary caps transfer economic rent from players to clubs: they limit the amount clubs must spend and accordingly limit the amount players can earn. If there were no limit on the amount Parramatta could spend on player salaries then (given that the Parramatta Eels Leagues Club is a notably well-funded club with considerable liquidity reserves) Chris Sandow&#8217;s salary would be only of interest to his wife and accountant. As there is an upper limit on total salary spending Sandow&#8217;s wages impact a far wider group indeed.

To delve deeper into economic theory, a salary cap is a form of monopsonistic competition &#8211; a cartel. The most common type of cartel is an agreement among competitors not to sell their product below a fixed price: a monopoly. Examples of these include OPEC and cigarettes in China; they are generally illegal under Australian law. Another type of cartel, the monopsony, is an agreement among competitors not to pay more than a fixed price for a key input, such as labour. These are also, typically, illegal under Australian law. By agreeing to pay less, the cartel (of NRL clubs) purchases less of the input (they pay players less) then they otherwise would under free competition.

Let&#8217;s be very clear on this point, the NRL is a cartel who uses anti-competitive practices to control labour costs.

Although cartels (monopoly or monopsony) are typically illegal in Australia, the NRL&#8217;s salary cap has not been challenged in any court. This is surprising given the wages at stake: players seem to have an incentive to sue the NRL in court for anti-competitive practices. The Melbourne Storm demonstrated that players were keen to be paid more than the salary cap &#8211; and their agents are certainly keen to find new sources of revenue. The NBA in the USA had their salary cap successfully challenged by players as far back as 1972.

The question of why the salary cap still exists is therefore interesting in a legal sense. The question of why it should exist from society&#8217;s perspective is interesting in an economic sense.

Researchers have repeatedly found (for instance here, here, here and here) that salary caps have a range of benefits not captured in simple player-club pay models. Competitiveness between teams increases greatly under a salary-cap system. Player salaries are lower, but more equal &#8211; possibly increasing feelings of &#8216;fairness&#8217; and &#8216;teammate-ship&#8217;. Moreover, (as shown here) teams with high actual and perceived fairness of pay are more successful than those who over-pay a single superstar.

After all the analysis there is a simple call to make. If you like a balanced competition then ignore Australian law and support a salary cap. If you are Benji Marshall or Billy Slater, don&#8217;t.

-----------

Sources as linked:

The Berkeley Electronic Journal of Analysis and Policy
Catholic University Law Review
Scottish Journal of Political Economy
Competition Policy in Professional Sports: Europe after the Bosman Case, Kesann and Jeanrenau
The Journal of Sports Economics
Journal of Economics and Business
....and LeagueUnlimited.com

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Bluebags

Wanted: One Rugby League Journalist

"Every journalist who is not too stupid or too full of himself to notice what is going on knows that what he does is morally indefensible. He is a kind of confidence man, preying on people's vanity, ignorance, or loneliness, gaining their trust and betraying them without remorse."
- Janet Malcolm (born 1934)
- Written 1990

There's a 'journalist' called Andrew Webster. He writes for The Daily Telegraph. Young Andrew recently referred to Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward as a 'rock star'. It was an unflattering description given after Webster felt he had been brushed off by Soward in the team's dressing room. Soward was asked for post-match comments while getting out of the shower. He reportedly replied: "Are you serious? Can I towel myself off?"

"He can't handle a few questions while wet..."
- Andrew Webster (born yesterday)
- Written 2011

Soward did the interview soonafter but by then Webster's ego was bent. The 'news' headline included the words "Rock Star" and a fair portion of the article moaned about Soward's curt comment. Yes, Webster was the rock star. Sadly, modern journalism forgets that supporters are interested in the players, not the reporters.

Suffice to say, the article was full of fluff, offering no insight or new information.

When I was young and naive, I thought journalism was an honourable occupation. A journalist, I thought, was someone who sought out the facts, documenting their findings into a well-written format - a journal, if you like. To seek a career in journalism meant you had a passion for investigative reporting, free speech and the skill of writing. A journalist, I thought, would write to benefit readers thus opening a door and inviting all-comers into a wondrous world containing revelations of the day's events.

As a young Rugby League lover, I looked forward to match reports. News of players, crowd atmosphere and how the match unfolded. With minimal TV/radio coverage, I relied on the intimate knowledge of the journalist to take me to the game.

But any honour journalism had was sullied long ago. Perhaps that's why the old-styled stuff, written before I was born, manages to put a smile on my face.

"On a day of glorious sunshine, the team from the Eastern Suburbs was led out by Herb Gilbert. The dual rugby international looked particulary fit following a robust breakfast of liver and eggs cooked by his own dear mother. The team was greeted onto the imperfect bowl of the Royal Agricultural Showground by a glistening crowd, a gay show of colour on their vests and bonnets exhibiting jubilation never before seen in the game of Rugby League. Indeed, the roar resonated across the Paddington roof tops in readiness for the first player to be delivered to the turf."
- Willow (born 1959)
- Written 1916

OK, I made all that up. But it's not too far off the mark. It sounds corny, but how many writers today bother to mention weather conditions? Let alone tell us what a player had for breakfast that morning!

My favourite old league writer went by the name of 'Forward'. He only ever wrote under a pseudonym - perhaps another story lost to history. 'Forward' wrote in a time when there was no TV coverage, relying entirely on his own sharp wit and an even sharper pencil to notepad.

While covering the inaugural first grade match for St George, 'Forward' included team lists and scores before writing this brief but insightful match report for The St George Call in 1921:

"A warm reception greeted Saints as they were led onto the ground by 'Geoff' McMurtrie's little son, the mascot of the team. St George, after giving a weird sort of war cry, kicked off and soon got busy, beating Glebe repeatedly for the ball in the scrums. Fine tackling by St George prevented some ugly looking rushes developing. An incident that amused was the Ref. getting mixed up with the players in a round up. In the second half, Gray and Gilbert shone occasionally in individual runs for St George. St George gathered extra strength at this stage late in the game and Fusedale, picking up at centre, passed to Carstairs. The left wing three-quarter put in a fast strong run, upset Proctor by bumping into him, and scored a fine try. Wall missed the goal. Undoubtedly Saints were the better team on the day and unlucky to lose."

Informative, comprehensive... and without a hint of fluff.

There you go Mr Webster, that's how it's done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words | 750

Research | Kogarah library

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Timmah gears up for the Mighty Bluebags. Sorry I'm late gents, couldn't find the ground.

Are we losing sight?

This morning in my duties covering news for this website, LeagueUnlimited.com, I was woken by the buzz of my smartphone as we received word through that Rabbitohs halfback Chris Sandow was leaving the club at the season&#8217;s end.

At this point, just 8 short rounds into the current season, all we seem to be seeing in the media is &#8220;Player X to Club Y in Z million dollar deal&#8221; &#8211; is this really what our game is reduced to? Speculation on who&#8217;s playing at which club next season? When the rules changed surrounding the June 30 negotiation deadline around three years ago, the media each season became awash earlier and earlier with the speculation of player signings &#8211; so much so, that now we&#8217;re seeing huge long-term deals signed after barely a few rounds of the season!

As I am a Bulldogs supporter, this disgruntled attitude might be easily attributed to the recent defection of Jamal Idris to the Gold Coast Titans. It may even seem hypocritical given the recent signing sprees the club has undertaken for the 2009 and 2011 seasons respectively. But honestly? I&#8217;m at the point where even the defection of a player from a team I hate to another team I hate is frustrating me &#8211; and I can&#8217;t be the only one.

The effect of this reaches far beyond just the fans and the ongoing stress of their weekly support of their team. Amongst the playing groups at each club where such a situation occurs &#8211; the evidence is clear for all to see in some instances. When Ben Hannant was reported to be homesick at the start of the 2010 season, it seemed to de-stabilise the ranks, something sources within the club seemed to confirm in the aftermath of the failed season where the Bulldogs club finished a lowly 13th &#8211; less than 12 months after being preliminary finalists. The mentality, to me at least, is obvious. If a player is intending to, or committed to playing elsewhere the following year, it is easy to question their loyalty to their current club and commitment to the current campaign. And if there&#8217;s a bloke amongst you who you don&#8217;t trust to have their mind 100% on the job, then why should you put 100% in yourself?

It isn&#8217;t confined to playing stocks either. Arguably the biggest story this year has been Wayne Bennett&#8217;s defection from St George Illawarra to Newcastle. While &#8220;Saint Benny&#8221; has undoubtedly maintained complete professionalism throughout the whole saga, it remains to be seen whether this will affect the playing group at the Dragons as the season continues. If the form of the competition frontrunners dips in the second half of the premiership, then we&#8217;ll have an answer to the disharmony loud and clear. With the future of fullback Darius Boyd unclear at the time of me writing this, it may well be the tipping point for what is currently a very tight-knit group of men.

At the other end of the scale we have the South Sydney Rabbitohs. First with the replacement of John Lang, which was the subject of much media exposure during the opening rounds of 2011 &#8211; particularly after the side&#8217;s failure to perform despite the big-name signing of Greg Inglis and having one of the competition&#8217;s most formidable forward packs. Then of course we have the frustration of the last fortnight with the re-signing of John Sutton and the conjecture around Chris Sandow&#8217;s future, resolved this morning with him departing the club for Parramatta in a deal commencing in 2012. The whole situation has taken a clear toll on the Rabbitohs, and their ladder position already reflects a club destabilised by uncertainty over the future of both players and coaches. Even the reaction of management and ownership leaves a lot to be desire after parting shots were fired by both owner Russell Crowe and CEO Shane Richardson over Sandow&#8217;s defection.

While these stories all make great fodder for our friends at News Limited and Fairfax, and we as fans ourselves thrive on the discussion surrounding it &#8211; does it really create such a good look for our game when on an almost daily basis we&#8217;re asking who&#8217;ll be where next year, the year after, or even in five years?

I hark back the days when club loyalty meant something. But of course that was when the 'professional' game was more amateur with truck drivers and cellar men filling the first grade ranks. But this is the modern game.

749 between the lines

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
5 v 5, a top effort by all and what looks like it'll be a close run thing for the Sandy Crack.

Oh, Sandy Crack Cup.

:crazy:

Titanic

First Grade
Lol, Timmah but then again what's a little sand between the cheeks if not just a smidgin rash and potentially the butt of raw jests?

Totally agree 5v5 - well played Titans and just a little too well played 'Baggies.

Up and over to you, Sir NT.

bgdc

Juniors
That is a quality game all of you - glad I wasn't caught on the bottom of all that :p

Amadean

Juniors
Thanks 'bags - always a pleasure reading your work.

Titan, well, what can anyone say? Sterling performance under incredible pressure, showing massive heart, true grit, real ticker and a worryingly vivid imagination. Splendid all around.

I do love this comp sometimes.

Over to you NT!