What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 ROUND 7: Rabbitohs -V- Dragons

Jesbass

First Grade
delightful weather here in the forum today

That would sure explain why the referee is lazing in the sun instead of filing his match report!

(Scores should be submitted tomorrow - hang tight!) :thumn

Jesbass

First Grade
Yeah, sorry folks. On Saturday, Mrs Jesbass pulled out the old “1st birthday party” card, followed by the “engagement party” card, so the referee was somewhat indisposed! :shock:

I’m working on it this afternoon, though. :thumn

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah, sorry folks. On Saturday, Mrs Jesbass pulled out the old “1st birthday party” card

given you can operate a computer and seem to have a pretty good grasp on language etc, i thought you were much, much older than that..

;-)

Jesbass

First Grade
given you can operate a computer and seem to have a pretty good grasp on language etc, i thought you were much, much older than that..

;-)

:lol:

Getting engaged at 1 year of age, too - must be an arranged marriage!

(Oops - I mean...goo goo ga ga...)

:crazy:

Lambretta

First Grade
It looks like there are some good articles there. I will joining Sowf Siddderney (as Cockney geezers call em) next week.

Pity I missed the game with the Dragons. Would have been fun to throw my hat in the ring to see how I fared against EA and co.

Jesbass

First Grade
Hey guys, I went to post the results last night but couldn't get LU to load. I'll post them shortly. (Promise!)

Jesbass

First Grade
Match Report:

Round 7 came with a rematch between Round 2 rivals, the St George Dragons and the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The referee may have arrived embarrassingly late, but when he finally signalled the beginning of the match, Dragons fullback _Johnsy made sure that the visiting fans would think that it had been worth the wait.

This was an interesting piece. It was well researched, but you took a long time to bring rugby league into the frame. I couldn't help but feel that there was a lot of potential here but it wasn't fulfilled because it seemed that it was only when there was about a third of the article to go that the core idea came to fruition. Even a league-related intro would have done wonders, I feel. T'was a very timely topic, though - especially after watching my Warriors destroy the Rabbitohs yesterday! 78

Dragons lead 78-0.

The Rabbitohs bounced back quickly when Monk broke the line and dived over in the corner.

An interesting article that reflects the varying fortunes of some of the game's greatest junior prospects. This was a solid piece, but a little bland, and could have done with a bit more "flavour". One minor note is that Ben Matulino is a prop nowadays. 85

Rabbitohs lead 85-78.

South Sydney began to show their mettle when byrne_rovelli_fan82 guided them further into the lead with a try that was scored from smart support play.

The NRL has actually changed its interpretation of what to do around simultaneous "held" calls, which is why there was such a major disparity between the Berrigan and Hodges incidents. Regardless, though, you're right that the rules differ from grade to grade and contest to contest. The grade aspect is likely a safety issue, but differing rules between clu and country, (such as the number of interchanges, for example), is bound to cause confusion. This article was well written with a clear perspective running throughout, with a healthy does of common sense added for good measure. 87

Rabbitohs lead 172-75.

An embarrassing moment for Jason Maher came when he collided with the goalpost, and was stretchered off the field. His replacement, Drew-Sta, had immediate impact, fresh legs carrying him around tiring Rabbitohs defenders and over the try line.

Haha, very funny, and I see a theme pattern forming from the St George side. All of your characters were believable - it was easy to imagine each of them responding in the way they did. Well done. 91

Rabbitohs lead 172-166.

From the ensuing kick off, Everlovin'_Antichrist took a hitup, bowling over defenders, then offloading to set up a try as the Dragons reclaimed the lead.

This was a highly impassioned plea for a change to the way refereeing is done nowadays compared to how it used to be done and I have to say, it was a thoroughly engrossing read. I felt that your grammar could be tweaked here or there to help the flow a bit better, but my favourite sentence of the entire match was: "The modern Referee dresses louder, talks all game like Rain Man at a QANTAS fan day and gets less respect than a Boer farmer at a Mugabe family barbecue". 90

Dragons lead 256-172.

The lead change came in the nick of time, as the half time siren sounded, and the Dragons went to the changing rooms, ahead on the scoreboard.

HALF TIME: Dragons lead the Rabbitohs 256-172.

Just a fwe minutes into the second half, Rabbitohs captain griffo346 forced his way through three defenders, touching down near the sideline to give his team the narrowest of leads.

A solid piece about the good and not-so-good signings for the 2011 season. While not a particularly original idea, I agreed with most of your assessments. Perhaps it might be itneresting to follow this up with an opinion piece on why some players excel at new clubs, and others falter? 85

Rabbitohs lead 257-256.

The Dragons' start to the second half got even worse when DragonPunk displayed a poor tackling technique and was left flat on his back. But Cheesie-the-Pirate was quick to replace him, scoring off an intercept and the lead changed once again.

I thought your topic was a very good one, and taking focus on what happens to players who have career ending injuries, and what can be done about it. Unfortunately, there was a lot of repetition, particularly of "players like Dean Young", which really distracted from my enjoyment of the article. 82

Dragons lead 338-257.

That proved to be a game changer as the Dragons finally managed to maintain their momentum, with a strong attacking set resulting in a try to muzby when he was the first to dive on a deftly kicked grubber.

A humorous piece that continues the theme of laughing at Souths. I enjoyed this at times quirkly article and the involvement of Tom Cruise was somewhat fitting. 87

Dragons lead 425-257.

But Marshall_Magic restored some respectability to the scoreline with a consolation try in the dying moments of the game, as he spied a pair of complacent Dragons defenders, and took advantage.

I enjoyed this piece. Part nostalgic, part looking towards the future. I liked that you didn't simply write the game off as soft, but as a reflection of a changing society. Your opinion seemed open enough to offer discussion, and yet you still made your point very clear. Well done. 88

Dragons lead 425-345.

The full time siren sounded, with the Dragons triumphing again, but unlike in Round 2, this match was much closer.

So close, in fact, that many Rabbitohs fans were left wondering what might have been if they'd seized their opportunities with another player...

FULL TIME: Dragons defeat the Rabbitohs 425-345.

Score Sheet:

South Sydney Rabbitohs:
Monk: 85
byrne_rovelli_fan82: 87
griffo346: 85
Marshall_Magic: 88

St George Dragons:
_Johnsy: 78
Drew-Sta: 91
Everlovin' Antichrist: 90
Cheesie-the-Pirate: 82
muzby: 87

POTM: Drew-Sta

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Cheers Jess, thanks :)

EA, you still have it bud! Wish you weren't going into retirement again :)

Cheers Jess for the marking.

Congrats on the win Saints, all the best for the rest of the season. Some of your articles were great reads.

Jesbass

First Grade
Cheers, guys, and thanks for being so patient.

There were definitely some fantastic reads in this match.

Bunnies, you've definitely got a couple of wins in you if you can muster up the numbers!

Monk

Referee
Cheers for the marking, it's great to see that we can put forward some quality articles, and hopefully we can field a full team for the next game :)

Latest posts