What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012-13 UEFA Champions League Final @ Wembley Stadium, 4:45AM kickoff SBS

How will the final go?

• Bayern Munich win after extra time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Borussia Dortmund win after penalties

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
So you think being a self sufficient team with no debt that doesn't rely on hand outs from TV deals or Oil Pimps isn't a model to follow? Yes, such a poor structure :lol:

Lets take the arsenal approach. Sell your best players each year. Sign random French players that suck. Celebrate 4th spot. Celebrate qualifying for the CL 15 years in a row. Tell the world "but we matched it for a few minutes with the eventual champions" them complain that teams like Bayern get things done. Celebrate zero trophies.

Munich make 80mill a year off TV/Media deals.

That model of arsenal's is because of the brand new stadium we built, that we own and dont have to share with another team. Now the debt is payed off

Lol held up with the eventual champions, 2nill in your own back yard, only non german side to defeat you.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Oh and if you want me too stop, then hurry up and tell me if Leon Goretzka is any good, i dont get a chance to watch Bundesliga 2.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
So you think being a self sufficient team with no debt that doesn't rely on hand outs from TV deals or Oil Pimps isn't a model to follow? Yes, such a poor structure :lol:

Yeah I have to side with TT on this one. Comparing Barca, Real Madrid, Chelsea and City to Bayern is a bit of a stretch. Completely different business models. One model that is self sustainable compared to ones that would not be sustainable if the money from TV deals or owners suddenly dried up.

And this coming from a City fan by the way. I embrace the success but I am in no way blinded to how the success has come about.

Last edited:

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Yeah I have to side with TT on this one. Comparing Barca, Real Madrid, Chelsea and City to Bayern is a bit of a stretch. Completely different business models. One model that is self sustainable compared to ones that would not be sustainable if the money from TV deals or owners suddenly dried up.

And this coming from a City fan by the way. I embrace the success but I am in no way blinded to how the success has come about.

i got no problem with how there money business is made, through marketing, tv Media deals and jersey sales, its world class no doubt.

When comparing them to Real, Man City, PSG, Chelsea it was based on the fact that they just buy players to win championships, its the reason why i didnt put Barcelonca in there.
Barcelona spend on 1 or 2 players but 80 percent of there team is home grown Catalan.

Of there current team

Xavi, Messi, Puyol, Valdes, Busquets, Pedro, Alcantara, Fabregas, Tello, Montoya, Alba, Pique are all from the youth team. Now to have that kind of Success with a team full of previous youth team players is a beautiful achievment.

of the starting 11 tonight for Bayern only 2 were youth products, now if Kroos wasnt injured it would have been 3.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Was a lovely game, some of the early saves neuer made kept Bayern in the game, IMO Reus was man of the match, closely followed by Neuer or Ribery.

Great finish to an awesome Champions League season.

Barca's days of being the best in the world for the last 4 years is well and truly over, there is a new king. Bayern Munich have played the best this season and now they have the trophy to back it up.

So what will the future be like for Bayern? Pep coming in, will he change the style to the model he knows or will he continue on what Heynckes brought in. TT, what are your thoughts on this? Is there a bit of worry amongst Bayern fans that Pep may f**k it up? Or are you just ready to roll with whatever Pep brings?

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Cant see him bringing in tic tac toe or whatever its called :) you would have to assume that apart of the deal to bring him in was too continue along the lines of what they doing now.

But a attack of , Bastien, Kroos, Gotze,Muller, Robben. Lewandowski they could well try it.

Reus was man of the match :lol: Ribéry? Lmao

You whinge about Bayern spending then talk up Barca. Hundreds of millions in debt spent €50m a year on 2 players, you're an amazingly butt hurt individual.

Stop while you're miles behind

Tommy Smith

Referee
Reus MotM? Surely not. It had to be Robben. He's a sook of the highest order (dogging last year's shoot-out after missing in ET) but he played great today. Set one up and scored the winner. Can't argue with that.

After Robben i reckon Alaba was next best on ground. He's an absolute beast and shut down anything BvB threw his way. Best left back in the world atm IMO.

Anyway congrats Bayern...too good in the end. You dominated throughout the competition like no-one has arguably done before in the modern era. And but for the first 20 minutes you dominated the final and if it wasn't for Wiedenfeller the scoreline could have been 4 or 5-1.

It's hard to be too disappointed as a Dortmund follower (not to be confused with a hardcore fan who invests themselves a lot more than i do; but i do love everything about the club). Bayern have been the best team in Europe all year so congrats.

It will be interesting to see were Pep takes the team from here. He's walking into a tough situation in a way - they'll have won the treble in perhaps the club's greatest ever season so the only way is down.

As for BvB, just need to spend the 40 odd million from Goetze wisely. The team is still fantastic but a direct replacement in the attacking midfield role is essential. Will probably have to replace Lewandowski as well sadly. But so long as Klopp is there BvB should remain one of the top 5 teams in Europe easily.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would have voted Robben for MOM, his effort affected the result imo and he did it when it mattered

ugly prick tho

Robben was the official MOTM. Presented his medal by SAF.

As for BvB they were rumored to be signing Christisn Eriksen and Son from HSV is a beast if they get him. Dzeko is not a good fit for them though.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Nah Dzeko is too much of an aerial target man. Definately not suited to the style BvB play. Eriksen would be great. Although i see him leaving for the Premier League for some reason.

Meanwhile in entirely unrelated news - maybe worthy of a separate thread- Neymar is officially off to Barcelona. Great signing. Now they just need two new centre backs and a new keeper.

Well Eriksen was quoted as saying he would love to play for Dortmund. BvB or Liverpool, it's an easy decision.

Dzeko is a nuisance in the dressing room as well. They'll weaken their rival and keep a stranglehold of the CL spot ;-)