What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Draw wishlist

docbrown

Coach
Well at a guess Eels would be playing the Bulldogs at ANZ and the other game - if logic were to prevail - would be the Eels playing the Dragons at ANZ on Easter Sunday.

Easter should always contain:

Thursday Night Football Game - preferably in Newcastle or Canberra (outside the major capitals to avoid traffic problems)
Good Friday Day - Dogs vs Rabbitohs @ ANZ
Good Friday Night - Storm vs Sea Eagles @ Melbourne
Easter Saturday Night Game - potentially a once off 6:40pm start
Easter Sunday Day - Eels vs Dragons @ ANZ
Easter Sunday Night Game
Monday Arvo - Warriors home game (6pm NZ, 4pm EST)
Monday Night Game

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Nope, v Souths, as it has been for 3-4 years now.

Interestingly Easter will be Round 4 this year, a bit earlier than usual with it falling on the last weekend of March.

Your Thursday idea is terrible though - Hume and Pacific Motorways are both clogged like buggery on Holy Thursday, Newcastle and Canberra bad idea. I'd suggest have the game somewhere like Brisbane or Melbourne if you have to, both public-transport friendly venues where traffic wouldn't be such an issue.

docbrown

Coach
Nope, v Souths, as it has been for 3-4 years now.

Read it again, it was just a suggestion.

Holy Thursday, Newcastle and Canberra bad idea.

I actually live there and having experienced both I can tell you that Newcastle on Holy Thursday is a million times better than being in Sydney.

My suggestion would be Newcastle Knights vs North Queensland Cowboys to target NSW & QLD. There aren't that many traveling away fans for that game which decreases the traffic problem further as the Knights crowd will come from within the city itself for a big event game like that. The F3 is for through traffic at that time. Any Cowboys fans would have to make the same arrangements they would for any game they played on a Friday so their travel is a day earlier anyway...

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
On this years efforts why would eels dragons be worthy of Easter Sunday day?

Because you need to look past the form of one year and realise that it would be held EVERY YEAR.

Event games are about more than just form. They're about tribal loyalties and tradition. That's why a struggling Roosters or a struggling Dragons can still get a big Anzac Day crowd.

The pay off comes when Eels and Dragons - the next two biggest clubs in Sydney - play on Easter Sunday afternoon at ANZ in front of another large crowd. We're always talking about having a lack of big Sunday afternoon games. Well here's a chance to make one that can rival both Good Friday & the Anzac Day game.

Anzac Weekend. Easter Weekend. Queen's Birthday Weekend etc. They all need big marquee games.

Last edited:
For purely selfish reasons I would like to see Saints in Melbourne.

I would also like the Dragons game in Canberra not to be on Monday.

Saints v Sharks on a Sunday afternoon.

Expansion

Juniors
Same article confirmed the Bulldogs are looking to repeat the Mackay experiment, but the Storm GF replay will remain at ANZ, and the likely Mackay opponent to be Canberra or the Warriors.

Remain or 'moved to'? Melbourne haven't played Canterbury there for years.

Timmah

Staff member
Remain as in they last played on Grand Final Day at ANZ ;-)

Lambretta

First Grade
Heritage round clash at the SCG between two Sydney clubs on the Saturday AFTERNOON

Sydney match of the round at big stadium with free entry for members of both clubs involved (as suggested by Saint Doc)

Opening game of season on the Thursday Night again = Grand Final replay

Friday Night games to be spread among all the clubs during the first five or six rounds rather than one club getting every f**king game

Monday Night Football to be shared round also with Foxtel agreeing to double the gate receipt for each club for the inconvenience.

docbrown

Coach
Heritage round clash at the SCG between two Sydney clubs on the Saturday AFTERNOON

Any reason as to why a Saturday? Sunday is a more traditional slot.

My suggestion to the NRL for the 2013 Heritage Round SCG Game was to honour the 50th anniversary of the 1963 Grand Final between St George & Wests, which of course produced this iconic image:

images

Imagine St George Illawarra Dragons and Wests Tigers fans packing out the SCG (or SFS depending on construction work). Bring out the surviving legends of 1963 to meet the crowd.

Remind everybody why we love this game.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Its gotten pretty quiet on the idea to a have a sydney match of the round or blockbuster at ANZ or SFS.

Will be interesting to see who Parra play at ANZ in the additional games. I guess Dragons/Tigers/Penrith at a stretch

Timmah

Staff member
Opening game of season on the Thursday Night again = Grand Final replay
No no no no no.

This will draw a 30k+ crowd regardless, put it sometime after R5 but before R10.
Any reason as to why a Saturday? Sunday is a more traditional slot.

My suggestion to the NRL for the 2013 Heritage Round SCG Game was to honour the 50th anniversary of the 1963 Grand Final between St George & Wests, which of course produced this iconic image:

images

Imagine St George Illawarra Dragons and Wests Tigers fans packing out the SCG (or SFS depending on construction work). Bring out the surviving legends of 1963 to meet the crowd.

Remind everybody why we love this game.

I understand the Tigers tried this at the SCG in 2011 (can't remember what the anniversary was at the time though), however the match got scheduled Fri night instead of Sunday and the Tigers chucked a fit and moved the game back to the SFS. Now the construction's started I don't know we'll see any NRL there til 2014.

Its gotten pretty quiet on the idea to a have a sydney match of the round or blockbuster at ANZ or SFS.

Will be interesting to see who Parra play at ANZ in the additional games. I guess Dragons/Tigers/Penrith at a stretch
ANZ? They're playing 2 games there again next year, v Dogs and Souths.

8 x Parra, 2 x ANZ, 1 x Mudgee, 1 x somewhere else TBA is what I read?

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, bit of a backlash brewing against moving any more home games from Parra to ANZ I reckon.

So it will still just be our home games v Dogs and Souths that we play at Homebush, one home game in Mudgee, one home game out of Sydney at TBA (maybe Qld, Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, Gosford... who knows?) and 8 home games at our actual home ground :?.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Yeah, bit of a backlash brewing against moving any more home games from Parra to ANZ I reckon.

So it will still just be our home games v Dogs and Souths that we play at Homebush, one home game in Mudgee, one home game out of Sydney at TBA (maybe Qld, Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, Gosford... who knows?) and 8 home games at our actual home ground :?.

Pretty poor form from Parra. It's a bit of a slap in the face to their members with only 8 games at Parra Stadium.

Raiderdave

First Grade

so there'd be no backlash when moving a home game to mudgee ... 500k's away from church st .. that about 5 sydney based parra members could go to
but there would be if they moved anymore games to ANZ ... 10k's away that they could all go to :sarcasm:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Pretty poor form from Parra. It's a bit of a slap in the face to their members with only 8 games at Parra Stadium.

you won't ever grow your membership base much beyond where it is now
if you played any more games at parra stad .. it limits your ability to grow your brand as well.

I think 8 is right for parra stad.. that should be the limit.
4 at ANZ

the Dogs .. Souths .. Tigers & Dragons should be played at Homebush from now on ...
sell a 4 game membership called the homebush blockbuster membership
build a tradition around these games in partnership with these clubs

gotta start thinking bigger as a game.

Latest posts