What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 State of Origin :: NSW vs QLD

Monk

Referee
z-nsw-main.jpg
V
z-qld-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 3 reserves for each side)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://forumsevens.com.au/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://forumsevens.com.au/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Monday 24th of June 2013 (6:00pm AEST)
Full Time: Monday 8th of July 2013 (9:00pm AEST)
Referees: Non Terminator and LeagueNut
Venue: Front Row Stadium

ground_tfr_1.jpg

Monk

Referee
NSW arrive at the ground ready to show their stuff. Goooooooooooooo blueeeeeeeeesssssss

z-nsw-main.jpg

NSW
Monk (c)
Drew-Sta
eozsmiles
Horrie is God
Tommy Smith

Monk

Referee
Monk leads his team onto the field. They can take our players, but they can never take... OUR FREEEEEDOM!!!!

731 words according to the OWC

================

The Gospel according to Monk

Down the hatch went the golden brew of my forefathers. What number was this? Ten...no... Eleven! Who even cared anymore? I prayed to the mighty Footy Gods above that my team would be able to hold on for the win.

“Dear Footy Gods... whoever you are. Please give the Roosters the strength to hold on and conquer the scum that is Manly. I know I’ve prayed to you a lot in the past. But I promise, should you make this happen, I will learn more about you, and I will help spread the word of the great and almighty Footy Gods!”

Sure enough, the Chooks managed to hold on. So I made it my mission to educate others on the wonders of the Footy Gods. My friends, this is the Gospel according to Monk.

The Queenslanders, they do pray to God Wallos, that they may win another series and continue their domination of New South Wales. What seems to the simple minded as a “Queenslander!” cry is actually a key part in one of their prayers. Here is an excerpt from one of the scriptures I found during my readings.

“I pray to the Gods Wallos and Mallos that through their will and my own, Queensland will be offered passage through the Blue Sea to the try line. I offer my undying support to the Maroon jersey and I trust that my blood does flow in the name of the Father Bennettos, the Son Lockyos and the Holy Spirit that is Beetos. I offer my war cry’s as a testament to my faith.

QUEENSLANDER! QUEENSLANDER! QUEENSLANDER!”

However those who do willingly oppose the worshipping of the God Wallos will lend their ears to those who speak the words written by the hands of God Tommy himself. It was his will that every street corner be bathed in maroon; the blood of his enemies. Preaching the messages and commandments of God Tommy were the Prophets Ricky, Freddy and Joey. Through their actions, they introduced the world to the Ten Blue Commandments. Staying true to these words will ensure New South Wales remains strong for years to come.

I :: Thou shalt always remind those with Queensland allegiances that their players doth hail from our residence.
II :: Thou shalt always remember to run over a Cane Toad whenever it is seen on a road, even if it doth mean swerving into oncoming traffic.
III :: Thou shalt never drink XXXX beer during the months May through August. From September through April it may be consumed so long as it is likened to ‘Cat Piss’.
IV :: Thou shalt refer to every bald male as “Lord Sterlo”.
V :: Should a fellow Blue be without a cold beverage on Origin night thou shalt supply him with one.
VI :: Should a co-worker be hung-over after a Blues loss he may be given a longer smoko break and, in extreme circumstances a day-off.
VII :: Thou shalt not wear maroon on Origin night.
VIII :: Thou shalt not steal a mate’s beer while his remaining beers are less than six.
IX :: Thou shalt remember to keep Origin night holy and sacred.
X :: Thou shalt not covet Queensland’s players.

These Commandments are law for the chosen people of God Tommy.

While the hatred burns strong between the long-rivalled Queensland and New South Wales, a greater evil exists and it has been attempting to grow stronger over recent years. Spreading the poison of its plague the Australian Fumbleball Legion has taken a good number of soldiers into its web of lies and girly singlets.

While the venom which spills through the fangs of this bumbling serpent is potent, the antidote is widely available to the public. This allowed for the great areas of Western Sydney and the Gold Cost to escape total obliteration. The key to the antidote is that exposure to this poison is not fatal when combines with a heavy dose of Rugby League.

So I ask you, friend. Spread these words through all the lands you have seen and all of the ones you are yet to see. Should you find your path blocked by a deadly serpent remember that so long as you follow the words of your God (whoever he may be) he will guide you through the fumbling darkness and you will arrive to the beautiful lights of ANZ Stadium.

Amen.

Last edited:

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Horrie Is God saunters out, surveys his surroundings, and takes in the roar of the crowd.

Bring it.

731 words (including title) according to the word counter thingy.

It takes balls to play Rugby League.

Jack's eye's snapped open. He turned his head to look out the window.

It was another beautiful Gold Coast winter morning. The sun was out, and the breeze was still. It was a shorts, tee shirt and thongs day.

He leapt out of bed as nimbly as his 42 year old body would allow. After a couple of quick stretches, it was time for the family breakfast. The kids were now in their teens, so Sunday morning was the only time they could find to sit down, and eat and talk.

"Shane and I have to be at Tugan Oval by 10AM, but should be done by 1, so we'll just get a lift to your game with Mum ", Shane, the extrovert of the twins, said.

Ahhh... Jack's game. He was on the wrong side of the hill, but competitive drive, pure love of rugby league, and the fact that he was a fitness fanatic, kept him backing up years after he should've, arguably, hung up the boots. Today would be the last game though. You can attempt to fight Father Time, but it's a battle one can never win. So the line in the sand had been drawn.

With brekky done and dusted, it was time to shower, get his kit ready, and get out to see his boys play the first half of their game, before driving down to South Tweed to join his team.

The twins’ game was going to script, both scoring tries, and Shane kicking all the conversions, and with a big enough lead to be safe, Jack now needed to do his part. He was nervous, but more so excited. He knew what he had to do, the same thing he'd done for the previous 35 winters. Defend well, and put his outside men into space. So as he drove to the game, he was loose and positive.

"G'Day Methuselah" was the first thing he heard as he got out of the car. It was a nickname Jack had picked up 10 years ago. It was funny then, but it was apt now. He had 8 years on the next oldest guy. Age is only a number though, and he still had the endurance, plus he knew a thing or two.

"G'Day Brownie, how are you feeling?"

"You ready to score a few meat pies today?"

Brownie was the gun player in the grade. He was made in the Billy Slater mould, and the guy Jack liked to give as much time and space with the ball as he could. The kid could sniff out a try with the best of them.

"Mate if I was any fitter, I'd be dangerous!" Brownie replied.

"If we get 37 kankas right, it'll be a long day for them."

37 kankas was the move they'd kept up their sleeves all year. They practised it every session, but only used it early in the season, late in a big win. They hoped no one had noticed. It was a simple move, but done right, very hard to defend. Its genius was that it involved Jack taking the last pass, and still having the speed to get through the gap and score.They'd never suspect the old guy.

By the time the ref blew game on Jack was ready. He hit hard in defence, and spread it early. Things were going to plan. The game was tight, his team were only up by 2, but they had the momentum. It was time for 37 kankas.

"Two minutes to glory, we win this scrum, and put this baby to bed!" Jack screamed.

He turned to Brownie and winked.

"37 kankas mate."

The scrum was won, and the boys had the standard settler to get the ball where it was needed.

Then it was time.

Jack got the quick ball needed, passed to Brownie, and looped around, hitting the hole beautifully. Brownie hit him on the chest with the pass. The line was a yard away.

Jack dived for his moment of glory.

He landed over the line, but straight on his 'crown jewels'.

The team went nuts, but Jack's agony was overriding his ecstasy. The trainer got to him with the magic sponge.

"Methuselah, you legend, are you okay?"

Jack could only point to the problem area.

"Don't rub 'em mate"

"Just count 'em!"

Last edited:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Drew-Sta hits it up for the mighty Blues!

---

THE RECIPE FOR SUCCES

frogs%20legs.jpg

The New South Wales selectors filed into their chambers. They weren’t entirely sure what was going on, but Laurie seemed desperate for their attendance.

“Err, what’s this?” Bob McCarthy said. In front of them was a set dinner table, and what appeared to be a score card.

“Quick, sit, sit,” Laurie urged, almost bubbling with excitement. He was almost like a child in a toy store such was the twinkle in his eye.

Bob Fulton and Geoff Gerard took a seat either side of Bob McCarthy. None of them knew exactly what was going on.

“Right, with the final game of the series coming up, I’ve been thinking –” as Laurie was talking Bob Fulton groaned and put his hands in his face “ – that we need to adopt some new techniques to coaching.”

“Laurie, we don’ pay you to think,” Geoff said patiently. “We pay you to coach the team. Y’know, train them in ball skills and the like.”

“YES! I know, I do that already,” Laurie whined, impatient at their lack of understanding for his brilliance. “But most of the issue we have is mental.”

“Mental?” Bob asked.

“More like he’s mental,” Bozo grumbled.

“Yes! It’s mental! Our players have lost the understanding of what we need to do to win,” Laurie continued, behaving as if he’s just struck gold. “We need to show them what it is to win!”

“How are you going to do that, Laurie?” Gerard quizzed, slightly puzzled. The selectors glanced at each other worriedly, agitated that this was taking them away from vital work.

“Cooking.” The look on Laurie’s face was priceless. He looked like the man who’d just discovered the meaning of life.

Bozo’s jaw set, and his face got red. “Cooking?”

“Yes! It’s brilliant, I know! I knew you’d understand Bozo!” Laurie pranced over and gave Bozo a big bear hug. “I’m going to train them in how to cook.”

“… why? I’m sorry, I don’t see the relevance,” Bob said.

“What they need to find is their own recipe for success! Watch!” Laurie whistled, and the lights went dim before a spot light highlighted the centre of the room.

Matt Moran ran in, a trolley following. He set up in the spotlight and immediately he set to work.

“Evening gents! What we’re cooking tonight is cane toad soup, and I’m going to show you how we’re going to whip your boys into mental shape!”

Geoff threw up a little in his mouth as Matt pulled a live cane toad out and sent a knife through its head while Bob stared on in disbelief.

Matt Moran went to work, quickly detailing how he would cook the cane toad.

“Spice, my friends. Spices make anything taste good! And onion; just like the French enjoy their frogs legs.”

Moran’s hands moved with lightning speed, filleting the cane toad before boiling it right up.

“The key with cane toads is making sure you remove the poison sack –” he flicked his knife and an ugly purple piece of flesh flopped onto the floor “– to ensure you don’t poison your clientele. Cane toads are best served with fresh veggies, but we’ll be instructing your team to serve them a cold dish of revenge.” Moran gave a steely smile.

Bozo groaned again.

Moran moved quickly, and without too much hesitation served up three dishes.

“Cane toad soup!” Moran beamed with pride at the… delicacy.

“See, the players need to remove the fear they have of our opposition,” Laurie continued, more seriously now. “We need to show them that Queenslanders are simply mortal beings too. By making them cook cane toads, we’re getting them to visualise their actions next Wednesday night. It will drill into them a sense of competitive edge; every time they hit up the ball, instead of seeing Sam Thaiday bearing down on them, they’ll see two little legs and think to themselves ‘I’ll triumph here just like I triumphed in the kitchen!”

There was silence in the room.

“It’s the best we got,” Bob said in a resigned voice. “After the Merritt experiment, it’s not like we're flush with options.”

---

Words: 702

eozsmiles

Bench
Eozsmiles on debut for the blues wearing number 14. Bang on 750.

The Hunter And The Hunted

A Rugby League match is a study that would no doubt interest Darwin or Attenborough. The two teams, or species, will seek to outlast their opponents in a survival of the fittest. It is an eighty minute battle for supremacy between the strongest each club can muster, waged using finely honed weapons of flesh and mind. Each player chosen displays varying degrees of power, speed, aggression, and wit. In some areas they will be accomplished and ominous. In others they will be inept and threatened. It is this skirmish between the adroitness and deficiencies on each team that will decide the result. The strong thrive on the flaws of the weak.

Within this collective struggle lies individual challenges. Although players realise that they cannot prosper unaided, their mere existence is a testament to their abilities as an individual. Each has himself developed to a point where his talents are judged worthy of joining the fray. But as Mother Nature shows us, each strength can be offset by a fault. An elephant, like a prop forward, has immense size but lacks agility. A fox is like a halfback, cunning but small. Wingers relate to rabbits - difficult to chase but defenceless once caught. Although adept in their own habitat, a player can become humbled when presented with exceptional tasks or caught in unusual positions. The most highly evolved of these beasts, and therefore the least flawed in both defence and attack, is the fullback.

At various times in a match each player will take their turn at being either predator or prey. Whether they fly or fall in those moments will have a bearing on the success or failure of their team. The fullback faces the greatest number of unique and perilous contests, while also in position to endanger the opponent.

The custodian is a contradiction. While always the most vulnerable player on the field by virtue of isolation, he is also deftly dangerous. He needs an abundance of both swords and shields. They are the last line of defence but often the focal point of attack, which makes their role tireless. The custodian will be handed a great deal of responsibility but spend much of the match in isolation. In a team game he is required to constantly make one on one tackles. Where in a defensive line each player is protected by the man next to him, the fullback protects himself. If they fail, he must succeed. An error from him can hold instant and final results, whereas the foibles of others become his problems.

In attack, the modern day fullback is a natural born killer. For all the preparedness of the defensive line, weakness will appear and mistakes will be made. A class fullback lurking behind the ruck is like a wolf surveying a prairie. He stalks, scanning the spread of the herd, constantly searching for a kill. The opportunity can arise in many ways. A tired forward, an injured back, or simple strength in numbers. All will be taken advantage of. Pace and agility mean only the smallest convenience is required. While the halfback and hooker will lead the hunt, today's fullback is bred to end the fight.

The essence of the fullback's world can be encapsulated in the bomb kick. On one hand he is in the backfield, in solitary, and in sight of the enemy. This makes him the obvious target. The most talented playmaker's in the game spend years perfecting attacking kicks. Sweetly struck spiral kicks spin and swirl into the air, expertly placed to maximise risk or reward. The ball is masked both naturally and synthetically by white lights, yellow sun, and grey clouds. The receiver will at once ascertain the trajectory, velocity, and distance the ball is travelling. He will trust his fleet of foot across dew and mud scotched ground against that of the chasers, unseen but not unheard. With his neck craned skywards he is defenceless, and must rely on his mates for protection. They are charged with impeding the marauding hordes, and they do not always succeed. Hence, the fullback also needs the nerve of a lion to match his finesse with hand and boot. This is nevermore evident than when defusing an attacking kick.

And while the defensive fullback is using all his aptitude to save the situation for his team, his opposite number is using the same set of skills in an effort to usurp him.

While one hunts, the other is hunted.

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
Busy time of the year must have taken its toll. Not the way we wanted to get the win but hopefully it's a sign of things to come on the 17th...

Titanic

First Grade
Sh1t, sh1t and sh1t ... I am currently overseas (well Australia is overseas to me) and I completely lost track of dates ... my apologies and will make it up when I can (talk about being dacked) ... sorry one and all.

eozsmiles

Bench
Oh well, bit of an anti climax in the end.

Do these articles count as "submitted" or can they be used for another game?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'm concerned that NSW doesn't have this in the bag as we didn't submit 5. I'm so scarred by QLD that I am still waiting for them to submit 5 articles and somehow pull off one of those miracle last minute snatches to win :sarcasm: :crazy:

MONK - The Gospel According To Monk
LN (85): I enjoyed this one, there's plenty of sharp references and it all ties together nicely. It'd be interesting to see a follow-up story about someone who fails to follow the commandments…
NT (85): You total prophet. A few great lines there.

HORRIE IS GOD - It Takes Balls To Play Rugby League
LN (83): This one made me wince, but in a good way.
NT (82): You can see those articles that build up to the one big punch line. This was one of those. Good storytelling however.

DREW-STA - The Recipe For Success
LN (86): This was just the right amount of weird to make it a very enjoyable read. A few typos knocked off a couple of points from your score.
NT (85): My mother always told me NEVER EVER have a typo in the Subject of a State Of Origin article. Bless her living soul.

EOZSMILES - The Hunter And The Hunted
LN (90): A brilliant read - it's very well crafted and makes a lot of sense. Well done!
NT (89): A shit read - it's horribly crafted and makes no sense. Well done!*

*An absolute lie.

NEW SOUTH WALES 685
QUEENSLAND 0