What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 SG Ball & Harold Matts (and other junior rep news)

magpie4ever

First Grade
Thought I would create this thread for next year as some of the summer train-on squads will be announced soon.

Should be "Harold" in the heading, oops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The following players weren't required to trial for Penrith and have already been picked:

SG Ball

Robert Jennngs
Jack Nelson
Christian Chricton
Tyrone May
Soni Luke
Dylan Fuad
Peter Tiatia
Cowen Epere
Soni Hala
Oliver Clark

Harold Matthews

Jonah Metuangaro*
Barkut Tastan
John Toso
Sam Radovu
Jack Gillett
Samson Kerr*
Stefano Soni*
Ray Maroun*

*Played Harold Matts for Penrith this year.

ballbag

Juniors
Knights trialled last saturday, 100+ kids for ball, makes you wonder why they have recruitment people if they need that many to trial

magpie4ever

First Grade
Knights trialled last saturday, 100+ kids for ball, makes you wonder why they have recruitment people if they need that many to trial

I think you find most clubs trial that many. Remember the summer train on squads are normally around 35-40 before they're culled to 25.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WC Pirates SG Ball train on squad, all WA jnrs:

1378646_10202107962719373_794406465_n.jpg

magpie4ever

First Grade
WC Pirates SG Ball train on squad, all WA jnrs:

1378646_10202107962719373_794406465_n.jpg

I reckon this is the way to go. I know the parents of a few East Coast boys who went over for SG Ball; they really struggled to settle down for that period. Especially, if they were still at school.

Be interested to see how they go with an all "native" squad, good luck to them.

thorson1987

Coach

Not sure about Knights, but most Sydney clubs have open trials. Anybody can show up on the day and try out.

The only ones who don't trial were players from the previous season.

Pride128

Juniors
Knights harold matts trials were invite only, easily 100 kids trialled and there was plenty of talent running around. The hardest part for the Knights has always been who to pick and who to leave out as they cant recruit them all, and from what i am hearing some very good local talent havent even made the summer squad.

There recruiters have a history of letting some talented juniors slip through the cracks only to complain later about the one that got away. Heath Gibbs (centre), Brodie jones (lock/second row) and Brendan Ohagan (halfback) look the class out of this years lot.

KAB

Juniors
Knights harold matts trials were invite only, easily 100 kids trialled and there was plenty of talent running around. The hardest part for the Knights has always been who to pick and who to leave out as they cant recruit them all, and from what i am hearing some very good local talent havent even made the summer squad.

There recruiters have a history of letting some talented juniors slip through the cracks only to complain later about the one that got away. Heath Gibbs (centre), Brodie jones (lock/second row) and Brendan Ohagan (halfback) look the class out of this years lot.

It's sad, to hear this, knights have had an affiliation with the Centurions for the last 3 yrs. But they have stripped 12 players from the coast possible squad plus a coach. It's a shame that they have ruined this set up. Last year they took one Jack Cogger, this year 12 went up there, and all could miss out. From what I know 4 players have signed 3 year deals with them already. Time will tell. In the ball squad I heard they have dumped 5 players from their system to bring in outsides across the ditch.

magpie4ever

First Grade
It's sad, to hear this, knights have had an affiliation with the Centurions for the last 3 yrs. But they have stripped 12 players from the coast possible squad plus a coach. It's a shame that they have ruined this set up. Last year they took one Jack Cogger, this year 12 went up there, and all could miss out. From what I know 4 players have signed 3 year deals with them already. Time will tell. In the ball squad I heard they have dumped 5 players from their system to bring in outsides across the ditch.

Hey Kab,

• wouldn't the ones (12) that miss out with the knights still be eligible for the coast?
  • are you serious, 5 players (u18s in 2014) brought in from NZ.
This is SG Ball junior rep football not the NRL - f**k; are we losing the plot or what.

Pride128

Juniors
The affiliation with the Centurions is a one way street. The situation definitely benefits the Newcastle Knights as they get the cream of talent from a huge recruiting base which produces competitive junior teams. But it does give the talented central coast boys a clear pathway to an NRL career if good enough.

Also makes it hard for the local young Newcastle boys and the Central Coast Centurions. The Knights rape and pillage the Central Coasts best talent leaving their junior teams weaker. The majority of the Harold Matts team is Newcastle based, but there is still plenty of promising talented locals who miss out on the Knights because there taking kids from outside the area leaving them nowhere to go.

The Newcastle juniors can’t go to the Central Coast Centurions as they are told that it is for local boys only so they are left with the Sydney clubs, but most don’t bother because of the three hour round travel trip.

A lot of people are saying that the Newcastle Knights had already chosen their teams before the trials and picked on reputation rather than form.

KAB

Juniors
Hey Kab,

• wouldn't the ones (12) that miss out with the knights still be eligible for the coast?
  • are you serious, 5 players (u18s in 2014) brought in from NZ.
This is SG Ball junior rep football not the NRL - f**k; are we losing the plot or what.
No as they elected not to trial on the coast, is this dumb? Told that there in as probably the other 80 odd kids.

Yes I'm serious, hey did the same as last year, 2 showed up at Centurions trial .
Yes this is junior footy, Rugby league is about developing local products

If there is any NRL club out there that would like a strong junior base.

KAB

Juniors
The affiliation with the Centurions is a one way street. The situation definitely benefits the Newcastle Knights as they get the cream of talent from a huge recruiting base which produces competitive junior teams. But it does give the talented central coast boys a clear pathway to an NRL career if good enough.

Also makes it hard for the local young Newcastle boys and the Central Coast Centurions. The Knights rape and pillage the Central Coasts best talent leaving their junior teams weaker. The majority of the Harold Matts team is Newcastle based, but there is still plenty of promising talented locals who miss out on the Knights because there taking kids from outside the area leaving them nowhere to go.

The Newcastle juniors can?t go to the Central Coast Centurions as they are told that it is for local boys only so they are left with the Sydney clubs, but most don?t bother because of the three hour round travel trip.

A lot of people are saying that the Newcastle Knights had already chosen their teams before the trials and picked on reputation rather than form.
Yes it is definitely a one way street. The affiliation with the knights was setup so that the local juniors stayed on the coast and played on the coast. But at the end of Ball they where put into 20's program. Not all but 5- 6 may get the opportunity. That was BS.
I really hope the Newcastle team is newcastle based but that means they have told alot of players they are in their summer squads. Newcastle boys could trial at the centurions they had quiet a number the even from Sydney / and hunter regions even far west. Personally I think they ruined a good relationship, I have heard Wyong roos are now on board. It could have been a great partnership. They never once sent a coach to training or development on the coast the Bulldogs /roosters / Sea eagles / sharks have done more on the coast. I heard the a club signed 3 local boys but are allowing them to play on the coast whilst still at school. Wow that's a no brainier.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Parramatta SG Ball train on squad 2014:
Alex Twal
Jesse Titmus
Atini Gafa
Nifo Sevi
Jermaine Mati-Leifi
Tom Amone
Jack Morris
Troy Dargan
Joey Tramontana
Marc Griffiths
Jamie Stowers
Simon Fonua
Mick Doolan
Denzel Tonise
James Gamidge
Jonathan Moses
Craig Field
Cody Grills
Matthew Price
Sione Katoa
Jarron Costelloe
Tangi Hokai
Charbel Anjoul
Jarrod Ross
Thomas Field
Joe Ratuvakacerevalu
Brody Malietoa
Cameron King
James Tasipale
Regan Rona
Kadince Christensen
Langi Suli Ruka
Sean Walpole
Nathan Tuiqali
Wayne Francis
Anthony Layoun
Will Ryan
Bevan French
Dillon Khoury
Richard Latu
Jason Vidal
Daniel Brown
Tyrell Fuimaono
Jake Steadman
Tui Oloapu

magpie4ever

First Grade
Balmain SG Ball train on squad 2014:

Coach: Mathew Head
[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]1. Adam Kennan
2. Andrew Aiono
3. Bailey Sironen
4. Chris Debrincat
5. D’rhys Miller
6. David Oxley
7. Destin Simon
8. Inoke Fainu
9. Jack Dunn
10. Jack Wheelhouse
11. Jacob Tatupu
12. Jake Trindall
13. Jaleel Seve Derbas
14. Jamie Hill
15. Jonathon Mose
16. Josh Finauvala
17. Josh Tupuola -Leato
18. Joshua Nohra
19. Junior Tatola
20. Jye Jarvis
21. Luke Penny
22. Maia Sands
23. Marcel Owen
24. Marvin Slavin
25. Michael Feaunati
26. Monson Paewai
27. Moses Vea
28. Neihana Walters
29. Paul Michael
30. Pifeleti Pifeleti
31. Pio Sokobaulava
32. Raui Poaru
33. Richard Latu
34. Robert Dox
35. Roman Ioefu
36. Scott Hogan
37. Sebastian De Le Paz
38. Taani Aitu
39. Telenotti Moata’ane
40. TJ Uele
41. Tristian Mifsud
42. Troy Simpson
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

magpie4ever

First Grade
I'm sure some of the other train-on summer rep squads have been announced - anyone want to post these.

Latest posts