What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 SG Ball & Harold Matts (and other junior rep news)

ranga

Juniors
Robert Jennings injury rules the Panthers out of SG Ball IMO. Thompson Tuigamala also gone for season.

If Matts get the likes of Jonah Metuangaro, Stefano Soni, John Toso and Ben Cartwright back they will be a chance. No idea when they are back though. All of them have been out for awhile.

ranga

Juniors
Robert had the same injury as his brother George(whats the odds on that) and Ben Cartwright needs a total knee reco

Tucantango

Juniors
Sad to see Jennings injured yet again during the rep selection time of year! He was odds on to make the U18's team this year (as he was the year before), but just like last year an injury will keep him out!

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I think he should be back before that side is picked. Hopefully he can show some decent form in the Holden Cup or NSW Cup to warrant selection.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Up to 11 or 12 teams can still make the 8 with 2 rounds remaining and whoever makes to 8 will be in with a reasonable chance to win the comp (they are all capable on their day). Some answers might be provided after this round (the Balmain v CC and Cronulla v Penrith or Parra games, especially).

This is an exremely close SG Ball competition.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
What a cracker of a competition the SG Ball is in 2014.

There are now only 11 sides able to make the top 8 with 1 round remaining.

The Central Coast are out of it after their lost to Balmain.

WSAS will need to win next week by a massive margin given their for and against.

Congratulations to the North Sydney Bears on their win over Canterbury, today.

Congrats, to the Western Suburbs Magpies on their win over the previously undefeated Penny Panthers. Yeah, Baby - made an old magpie PROUD.

Last edited:

KAB

Juniors
Yeah, it was Illawarra - I got over excited.:?
Haha - as quoted by B.Toohey in today's Telegragh, a sprinkling of local boys, in the newcastle side. Big win by the Knights ball side. And as for the Matts the matts side they will be the team to beat the knights recruited well, from the coast and New Zealand this year. Whoops, I shouldn't say that, but that reality of Jnr development. Big news will come out in the coming week on the coast.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Results from 7 of the 9 games will affect the make up of the 8 and positions within the 8 for the SG Ball comp.

Penrith v Cronulla
Newcastle v Melbourne
Balmain v Illawarra
Easts v Manly
WSAS v Parramatta
Norths v Canberra
Wests v Souths

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Captain Oliver Clark back from injury for Penrith SG Ball this week. Just in time for the finals.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Ok, the SG Ball top 8 is finalised.

I think next week's qualifiers are:

Parra (1) v Souths (4) - winner to week 3, loser to week 2
Penrith (2) v Easts (3) - winner to week 3, loser to week 2
Balmain (5) v Melbourne (8) - knockout qualifier - winner to week 2, loser out
Canberra (6) v Newcsatle (7) - knockout qualifier - winner to week 2, loser out

Any predictions?

KAB

Juniors
Ok, the SG Ball top 8 is finalised.

I think next week's qualifiers are:

Parra (1) v Souths (4) - winner to week 3, loser to week 2
Penrith (2) v Easts (3) - winner to week 3, loser to week 2
Balmain (5) v Melbourne (8) - knockout qualifier - winner to week 2, loser out
Canberra (6) v Newcsatle (7) - knockout qualifier - winner to week 2, loser out

Any predictions?
Some cracker games ahead. Next weeks predictions from me. Canberra over Newcastle, Balmain over Storm, Roosters over the Panthers, Para over Souths

From what I have seen Balmain are hitting their straps at the right time again, and so are the rabbits.

Coast report - the ball - had 2 wins 4 draws and 3 loses. And achieved maybe but in this comp it's great achievement and the best any Ball side from the coast has done. I hope some NRL clubs pick up some of these boys, they deserve it.
Matts - their priorities have not been where it should be, on footy.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Some cracker games ahead. Next weeks predictions from me. Canberra over Newcastle, Balmain over Storm, Roosters over the Panthers, Para over Souths

From what I have seen Balmain are hitting their straps at the right time again, and so are the rabbits.

Coast report - the ball - had 2 wins 4 draws and 3 loses. And achieved maybe but in this comp it's great achievement and the best any Ball side from the coast has done. I hope some NRL clubs pick up some of these boys, they deserve it.
Matts - their priorities have not been where it should be, on footy.

Yeah, really hard to select the winners but, here's my go.

I think Parra has had an easy run into the finals than the others team, therefore, I think Souths are a real chance. Toss of the coin.

Easts beat Penrith in the prelim rounds, but with Oliver Clarke back for the Pennies, it might be the difference.

Canberra have been storming home, it will not be easy but I would say the Raiders in a close one.

Balmain have also been storming into contention, beating Illawarra 30-0 was a big result. If Tucs reads this don't say a word, unless it is via PM. The Storm will be dangerous but if Balmain's defence holds solid it should get the tigers over the line in a close one.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Easts beat Penrith in the prelim rounds, but with Oliver Clarke back for the Pennies, it might be the difference.

Penrith actually beat the Roosters in their Round 5 despite missing Robert Jennings and Tyrone May. Jennings won't be back but May has returned and looked sharp on the weekend. May was Penrith's SG Ball Player of the Year in 2013 despite being a year young.

Jennings replacement at centre is a Konrad Hurrell clone. Absolute powerhouse picked up from NZ.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Well done to all winners yesterday.

Can pretty much rule Penrith out of the SG Ball race unfortunately. It appears inspirational captain Oliver Clark has picked up a serious elbow injury. They simply can't win the comp without Clark and Jennings.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Parra were always going to win it anyway.

Here's an interesting factoid:
In the past 20 years Parra has won Harold Matthews nine times. In the same period we've only won SG Ball twice and Flegg/NYC not at all.

By comparison, in the past 20 years the Roosters have never won Harold Matthews, but won SG Ball three times and Jersey Flegg three times.

The Tigers have not won Harold Matts in the past 20 years but have won SG Ball twice and Flegg/NYC three times.

It seems other clubs have been far too good at poaching talent, however under Pete Nolan I think we've started to catch up. In previous years this SG Ball side (who won Harold Matts the last two years) would all be playing for other clubs.

An example of a club that does it properly (recruitment and retention) is Penrith:
Since '94 (an arbitrary year but 20 years is what I'm going with) the Panthers have won four Harold Matts, three SG Ball, and three Flegg/NYC titles.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I disagree that Parra were always going to win it. A Penrith side featuring Jennings and Clark would have provided a huge challenge. Penrith did beat Parra Round One too.