What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015/16 Champions League

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
The Premier League is harder to win than the champions league. Less matches, non English teams mostly have domestic seasons that are little more than training runs. Nothing matches the week in and week out grind of 38 premier league matches.

:lol::lol:

Ooh wait, you're serious?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
What is this break away league?

Basically a European super league with all the big clubs like Barca, RM, MU, Chelsea, Bayern etc playing each other every week. A few sides are keen to make it happen as soon as 2018 apparently.

if you get a chance jump on Liverpool-Rumours.co.uk and search for ed002's explanation of it. Very detailed explanation of what's happening and what consequences it has for football going forward.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I didn't think you'd stoop that low to create some spin on an Arsenal loss, but you actually did.

I've never loved the champions league. I didn't love it when we were contenders making semis and finals, and i don't love it now. For me it's like state of origin, SOO is a fun spectacle but mostly it just takes away from the form of footy I love most, club footy.

I love the NBA and don't care for the Olympics or the all star game either.

I love tennis and don't care about davis cup.

Point is, this isn't just because we lost.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Basically a European super league with all the big clubs like Barca, RM, MU, Chelsea, Bayern etc playing each other every week. A few sides are keen to make it happen as soon as 2018 apparently.

if you get a chance jump on Liverpool-Rumours.co.uk and search for ed002's explanation of it. Very detailed explanation of what's happening and what consequences it has for football going forward.

Chel$ki ?

Obviously there is no qualification procedure

saint.nick

Coach
I've never loved the champions league. I didn't love it when we were contenders making semis and finals, and i don't love it now. For me it's like state of origin, SOO is a fun spectacle but mostly it just takes away from the form of footy I love most, club footy.

I love the NBA and don't care for the Olympics or the all star game either.

I love tennis and don't care about davis cup.

Point is, this isn't just because we lost.

Champions League IS club footy! :lol: I mean, you have made the most bizarre comparisons to amplify your point. State of Origin is not comparable to UCL because unlike SOO, UCL actually is club football. The only competition you mentioned that can be compared to SOO is NBA All Stars. Olympic basketball and Davis Cup tennis are international tournaments contested between different countries, so how the hell is that remotely comparable to UCL?

There is a perfect place and purpose for the Champions League, and it's the most prestigious club competition in the world for a good reason.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Champions League IS club footy! :lol: I mean, you have made the most bizarre comparisons to amplify your point. State of Origin is not comparable to UCL because unlike SOO, UCL actually is club football. The only competition you mentioned that can be compared to SOO is NBA All Stars. Olympic basketball and Davis Cup tennis are international tournaments contested between different countries, so how the hell is that remotely comparable to UCL?

There is a perfect place and purpose for the Champions League, and it's the most prestigious club competition in the world for a good reason.

The comparison was not liking the added layers of a sport that go beyond the original main focus. Domestic sport.

And I wouldn't want it abolished but I wish it was like the old days when it really was the CHAMPIONS league. If it only included winners of domestic leagues and if it was straight knockout.

saint.nick

Coach
Who cares if it was the original main focus? It evolved for the better. Just because something is original that doesn't mean it must stay that way.

Your comparison is still meaningless. For example, you do realise that tennis grand slams evolved from the Davis Cup, not the other way around? Davis Cup used to be the 'main focus'. They then handed a grand slam tournament to each of the four most successful Davis Cup countries at the time. You may as well stop liking grand slams too since they went beyond the original main focus.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Should they ever win it he'd be praising it. My goodness this bloke is dense.

Last I heard regarding the super league is that it'll only have clubs from the 'top 5' of Europe - Spain, Germany, England, Italy & France

To have a Super League is my dream for football. All of the best teams and best players playing in the one league. Massive matches every single week. Would be amazing.

saint.nick

Coach
And having two super teams play each other every single week eliminates the entire novelty of the game. The only reason why these games are mouth watering is because they are infrequent.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
The introduction of the euro super league would have grave consequences for domestic leagues all over Europe as well. Basically kiss what we have now good bye as all the big money would go with the euro breakaway league.

saint.nick

Coach
Following on from this super league talk, there's a number of reports saying United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and City all met in London with American billionaire Stephen Ross- in fact Ian Ayre of Liverpool, Woodward of United, Buck of Chelsea, Gazidis of Arsenal and Soriano of City were all pictured leaving from a hotel together in London.

According to one of the editors on that site Jack and I read, this was a meeting about a *counter proposal* backed by UEFA to save their own skin. But the structure of the counter proposal idea still seems the same: exclusive; fixed number of teams; pan-European.

I'm scared :lol:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-meet-to-discuss-breakaway-super-league.html

BunniesMan

Immortal
The fact that the Premier League teams would entertain this just seems beyond belief. The Premier League is about to get into its gigantic tv deal, why would anyone want to mess with that.