What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
6774 @ Penrith.

Getting to the point where we just shrug and half expect embarrasing Aleague level crowds like this. Clubs and NRL needs to get its act together and do something about it before we get to the point where we are hoping to get 15k crowd avg never mind 20k.

t-ba

Post Whore
Dont be surprised if the 65k stadium is being designed with a possible oval configuration, so the swans can use it as well for bigger games... apparently scg is too small for them..

Being unable to sell out against collingwood would suggest otherwise. They paid to f**k the Olympic stadium so they can use that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Awful day for crowds and I don't see it getting much better tomorrow. Max 12-13k at Gosford for the Bulldogs game, probably max 10k for Canberra.

That said good weather is expected at both venues so hopefully those targets are reachable.

Canard

Immortal
Fans of every club have every right to comment about every crowd. Grow the f**k up.

That's exactly my point, everyone can comment. Your abusive responses like above, seem to suggest otherwise.

Let's be honest your contributing to the degeneration of this more than most.

On topic, those overnight crowds are woeful, and getting to concerning levels

The Penrith crowd was pretty shocking, but the genius who scheduled a Warriors game simultaneously with a Pantsters game clearly should be shot. I only caught the game in passing, going back and forwards with the Bloodyslow, and I have to admit the Pantsters appeared to be a dire affair.

Don't know why anyone is surprised by Campbelltown. Despite hearing all the time "Sydney people want daylight games at suburban grounds" it isn't really true. Proof's in the pudding. Yesterday morning I was flicking through the QRL's Q-Cup highlights from the previous round. Probably more atmosphere at the Blackhawks, Bears or Jets games. Suburban grounds also. Campbelltown needs to be played at once every five years for a nostalgia round. The game, you would hope, has moved on.

As for the Roosters, it is remarkable that a team doing so well can pull so few at an all seater. You guys give the Broncos some stick, but this was really a pathetic crowd. I hate to say "What is going on a Sydney?" but at a time when the game is supposed to be on a high (look at that TV money) you guys are seriously making it (the product?) look second rate. I can't imagine any of the other games this round will improve matters. But for the Cowboys and Broncos games this round, a dispassionate TV viewer would think they were watching some third grade competition for Nevilles. Especially compared to the Netball World Cup.

For comparison's sake, the Brisbane Lions drew a measly 17k, or around half of the Broncos crowd this weekend. Everything, as Radiohead once said sublimely, in its right place.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I said it earlier, the myth that day games would draw bigger crowds has well and truly been put to bed this season.

Who is going to pay $40 to watch bottom 4 teams at this time of year.

The other problem at Campbelltown is they get 3-4 games a season spread over 27 weeks and they barely promote it. The people I sat with yesterday - members - loved the arvo footy. But even they said people won't pay to watch and many other locals have abandoned the Tigers. Anecdotally - work place, social circles, hell talkback radio, over the past 3-5 years - you've heard tigers people say they've turned their back on the Tigers. That's the proof in the pudding. Sort out the shit in tiger town and win back the fans.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I said it earlier, the myth that day games would draw bigger crowds has well and truly been put to bed this season.

Doesnt seem to matter when games are played now the fans in general are just pathetix in sydney. I wondee if the arl threatened some clubs existence would they start attending or just say whatever and move on, i suspect the latter.

Last night was a very poor effort. I remember in 2013 we got 20k against the storm in this slot and i am sure there were more parra fans there than storm fans that time. Cant explain why are fans seemed to have stopped coming this season to watch what is a very good team.

Sadly after much excitement from 2009-2012 i think the future of nrl crowds is heading towards the 14k mark average wise. The broncos will be the only thing keeping it from going lower. Only vast changes to ticketing and stadia will save sydney now and sadly i cant see massive reductions in prices happening any time soon. As for stadia, townsville and canberra might get the right stadiums eventually but in sydney i think its going down the wrong path and potentially creating a second massive white elephant at moore park will be a disaster for the game when its known fans of most clubs wont travel there except on one off occasions like finals. Sure a larger parra will be useful but only to the eels. Oh and as for homebush just knock it down and build the rectangular stadium that sydney deserves somewhere else in the region

Maybe the nrl noticed but the best buzz and feeling about any game this year was the first game at belmore. I am not saying all games at suburban grounds but they need to find a funding solution to include these stadiums that are the respective clubs spiritual home. Maybe a solution would be a grandstand to replace each sideline hill but keep the end hills as the family zone or for hardcore support like old british terracing i know warrington, st helens and others have maintained terraced stands in the their new grounds.

They ramped the GA up to.$40 at Belmore the other week which was always going to sell out although if they end up playing 2 games a year there then I'd say a lot less people will want to pay these prices for
hill tickets.

Maybe the Tigers have done some numbers and the diehards will probably still pay $40 whereas the number of people you would get at $30 may still result in a lower profit?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
CC - do you think some fans thought "meh it's parra, I'll save my $$ for next week" ??

I've noticed a few ticketing trends with Broncos games, particularly when two big games are back to back.

Edit: Have no idea why a blue whink face is there!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
CC - do you think some fans thought "meh it's parra, I'll save my $$ for next week" ??

I've noticed a few ticketing trends with Broncos games, particularly when two big games are back to back.

Edit: Have no idea why a blue whink face is there!

We have two games left and its been poor all season but i wouldnt rule it out as a factor.

Next week GA prices are $30 adult and $75 for a family pass. A bit high espdcially when at the gate you can add $5 to that. Imo $50 GA family pass should be a key ticketing promotion at every game, every ground.

Round 2 sunday arvo bunnies v roosters 27k tells us we have big issues to address

Look at what the afl did this season with the kids free on sundays at the mcg/docklands. This has been heavily marketed and i think is a simple solution the nrl could implement

Timmah

Staff member
That's exactly my point, everyone can comment. Your abusive responses like above, seem to suggest otherwise.

Let's be honest your contributing to the degeneration of this more than most.

On topic, those overnight crowds are woeful, and getting to concerning levels

Nice try but no. And let's not forget who was abusive to who first here.

I'm actually really interested to see how MNF at Remondis will go. Sometimes the Sharks have surprised with MNF crowds from memory.

Timmah

Staff member
Look at what the afl did this season with the kids free on sundays at the mcg/docklands. This has been heavily marketed and i think is a simple solution the nrl could implement

It's arguable that it's worked. Crowds aren't hugely increased on previous years.

neeknitsuj

Juniors
35 bucks x 3 for my 3 friends to attend last nights Roosters game (I have a season membership). Ridiculous prices and a neutral/non-hardcore NRL fan would never pay that much to attend.

Timmah

Staff member
Roosters games always seem to be overpriced, even for GA adult tickets. Easily the highest in the NRL. Raiders were up there too but seem to have cut back lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.