What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 SG Ball and Harold Matts (junior rep news)

girvie

Staff member
The draw is out. There is are byes. Which is crap in my opinion. But that's llife enjoy Xmas everyone footy is back soon.

It's a shame Melbourne aren't in the comp this year to eliminate the bye.

sorry guys i have to disagree, i watched this game from the stands & thought both teams displayed below par performances.. there were 2 outstanding kids in my opinion & some players who stuggled skill wise & physically. central coast had the better go forward up front but i thought they lacked halves to steer them around the park.. i thought roosters had some big strong outside backs & had a very smart half.. time will tell when both teams finalise there squads. there are more trials comming up in the new year so im expecting bigger & better performances from both teams.. i think parramatta & newcastle will be the bench mark in harold matthews cup 2015. again time will tell

siv

First Grade
Will Parramatta be fielding teams now that thie junior organization PDRLC has gone into administration ?

Delboy

First Grade
There is no change at Parramatta, they are bringing th juniors and rep sides under the financial control of. the Leagues club as pee the NRL team

The issue is a factional battle that needed fixing, the junior league board had no finances and was at logger heads with the hierarchy at the funding body, rather than continue the battle, they have assumed control via the Leagues club

siv

First Grade
If I was a pure Parra LC member I wonder if I would want that

Isn't the LC having financial issues of their own ?

Pride128

Juniors
Watched some good hard footy in a trial between the Knights and Manly at Dora creek on saturday. And boy was it hot.

Knights won the the Matts whilst manly won the SG ball.

The Sg Ball was a cracker, hard and tough as expected. Manly won with 6 tries to 5. Knights played without Brodie Jones, Tom Starling, Brendan Ohagan, Jayden Butterfirled, Will Sheeley and See Kali. Thought that the two front rowers in (8) Pasami Saulo and (10) luke Casson were very good whilst Second rower (11) Luke marks showed plenty of heart and aggression, something the rest of the knights lacked. The Number 9 was also a real terrier and impressed.

There were some very dissapointing performances from some of the senior players that were expected to lead. Will only get better once they have made their final cut and get their best players on the field. I think they would have done Manly if they had their best team on.

I was supprised how tough manly were, especially the forwards. They were really agressive in defense and had plenty of the intimidation factor. (7) Cade Cust lead the side around well and their front rower (8) Jaiden Tarrant really unsettled the knights with his stinging defense. He was probably the pick of the forwards on the ground. Manlys whole forward pack was impressive. Bill Bainbridge in second row and Brad Parker in centre also caused the knights plenty of headaches out wide. Bonny Hopoate and (21) Fredi Sione were also notable performers.

Interestingy enough both Sione and Tarrant are Newcastle juniors whilst Cust is from Scone.

This looks a lot better manly team than what they have dished up in the past, if they can keep their best performers on the park then with the draw they have they should deffinately be in the finals.

Both team definately need more game time and have plenty of improvements to make, the knights especially. Overall was a cracker and very enjoyable game.

MOONUNIT

Juniors
Hey PRIDE 128, not surprised to see Newcastle juniors playing at Manly, you seem to know a bit about what goes on up there, i heard from a player manager that a couple of players who missed out from Knights sg ball squad maybe headed to Manly end of this year,have you heard anything ?

Pride128

Juniors
Hey PRIDE 128, not surprised to see Newcastle juniors playing at Manly, you seem to know a bit about what goes on up there, i heard from a player manager that a couple of players who missed out from Knights sg ball squad maybe headed to Manly end of this year,have you heard anything ?

Those rumours have been circulating for months. However i wonder if it is just the player managers trying to force Newcastles hand to sign there clients or the parents doing the equivalant of taking home their bat and ball because there little superstar is not getting selected.

Just because these kids missed out with the Knights doesnt mean any other clubs will pick them up.

The Newcastle players already at the Sydney clubs just didnt walk in the door but were actively targeted and recruited by these clubs. Whilst the knights recruiters were out in New Zealand, QLD and far flung remote areas of NSW looking for the next big thing, the Sydney clubs are doing the same thing in Newcastle right under the knights noses. The same as Canberra and Storm do up in Brisbane.

Im sure not just Manly but the Bulldogs, Tigers and Roosters would love to sign some more of these locals, but only if they are talented enough and uncontracted. In the end all the good talent will get scooped up no mater where there from.

MOH

Juniors
Matts & SG Ball trials - Knights V Sharks at Remondis Saturday 7th Feb.

Last edited:

MOONUNIT

Juniors
Hope Knights Matts side perform better this weekend than they did last week in Mudgee,my spies tell me they are nothing on last years team ,and seem to have big problems in the halves and were soft behind the ruck.Hopefully they have sorted the problems out,comp starts next week.

siv

First Grade
I would expect teams have trials today

But no mention of any other games

Delboy

First Grade
Parra's Matts and Ball sides a at Nrrabeen for tHe weekend, doing the usual " fine tuning" and pre start of the season preparation