What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016/17 Summer of Cricket

Kornstar

Coach
Love it when they contemplate if we can run down the score.

They could set us 120 and we could easily be 0/99 and then all out by 110.

Have they not watched this current test team?

Noise

Coach
Besides Warner and Smith there is not 1 bloke in the team that I want to watch play, let alone pay good money to go see it live. No wonder the crowds at the WACA have been so piss poor and we are getting our arses raped

Bazal

Post Whore
Besides Warner and Smith there is not 1 bloke in the team that I want to watch play, let alone pay good money to go see it live. No wonder the crowds at the WACA have been so piss poor and we are getting our arses raped
Starc? Arguably the best fast bowler in the world

Noise

Coach
Starc? Arguably the best fast bowler in the world

IMO he is no where near the best fast bowler in the world. His test stats are ok but four of his seven 5 wicket hauls have been against lowly Sri Lanka. Furthermore he doesn't seem to be a match winner with the ball.mHe has had seven 5 wicket hauls and the team has only won in 1 of them. Three of those 5 wicket hauls he has been hit for over 100 runs.

Bazal

Post Whore
IMO he is no where near the best fast bowler in the world. His test stats are ok but four of his seven 5 wicket hauls have been against lowly Sri Lanka. Furthermore he doesn't seem to be a match winner with the ball.mHe has had seven 5 wicket hauls and the team has only won in 1 of them. Three of those 5 wicket hauls he has been hit for over 100 runs.
Lol. I'd suggest you look at the batting in those matches as well. Our problem is that our batsmen haven't been doing their job for about two years, tough for a bowler to do much when we struggle to get to 300 with the bat. Starc has become an elite fast bowler, that's really without question.

Noise

Coach
Lol. I'd suggest you look at the batting in those matches as well. Our problem is that our batsmen haven't been doing their job for about two years, tough for a bowler to do much when we struggle to get to 300 with the bat. Starc has become an elite fast bowler, that's really without question.[/QUOTE

True, but you also have to look at the bowling and when the opponents are scoring 400-500 runs in a number of those innings and Starc is getting 5 for 100+ runs you aren't bowling that well

And he is ranked 8th in the world. The best in Australia and only Aussie in the top 10 but over 100 points behind Aswin in the ICC ratings.

In comparison we have 3 batsmen in the top 10 (Smith 1st, Voges 7th, Warner 9th)

Bazal

Post Whore
True, but you also have to look at the bowling and when the opponents are scoring 400-500 runs in a number of those innings and Starc is getting 5 for 100+ runs you aren't bowling that well
Well when his bowling partners are the most one dimensional spinner of all time, Plod Siddle and Mitch Marsh, it's tough for him and Hazelwood tbh. Lots of overs get spread between them.

Noise

Coach
Out of the official rankings list what is your argument suggesting Starc is better than any of those above him - particularly the top 5?:

1. R. Ashwin IND 900
2 D.W. Steyn SA 878
3 J.M. Anderson ENG 853
4 H.M.R.K.B. Herath SL 832
5 S.C.J. Broad ENG 821
6 Yasir Shah PAK 820
7 R.A. Jadeja IND 805
8 M.A. Starc AUS 792

Aswin is particularly impressive in that he would play most games on dusty spin friendly wickets but still ranks 1 on fast bowler list

strider

Post Whore
I think the argument is that he is better than all of them cos none of them are new south welshmen :thumbsup:

Bazal

Post Whore
Out of the official rankings list what is your argument suggesting Starc is better than any of those above him - particularly the top 5?:

1. R. Ashwin IND 900
2 D.W. Steyn SA 878
3 J.M. Anderson ENG 853
5 S.C.J. Broad ENG 821
6 Yasir Shah PAK 820
7 R.A. Jadeja IND 805
8 M.A. Starc AUS 792

Aswin is particularly impressive in that he would play most games on dusty spin friendly wickets but still ranks 1 on fast bowler list

Umm...Ashwin is a spinner. So is Shah. And Jadeja. And Herath

I'm not sure of the value of arguing a cricketing point with someone who isn't aware of that, to be perfectly honest.

Basil Brush

Juniors

1. R. Ashwin IND 900
2 D.W. Steyn SA 878
3 J.M. Anderson ENG 853
5 S.C.J. Broad ENG 821
6 Yasir Shah PAK 820
7 R.A. Jadeja IND 805
8 M.A. Starc AUS 792

Lol.

Well i think you may have lost your argument now.

You watch much cricket?

Basil Brush

Juniors
The more i see it, the more i think that runout of warner is one of the best bits of fielding I have seen in an extremely long time. It was amazing in so many aspects.

Closest i remember was some of Ponting's genius runouts from cover point in one day games. Border was also great running people out from midwicket.

Jonty Rhodes was a great fielder but no real specific runout sticks in my mind, besides that obvious one when he took the stumps out but that was overrated imo. I have obviously missed some.

Bazal

Post Whore
The more i see it, the more i think that runout of warner is one of the best bits of fielding I have seen in an extremely long time. It was amazing in so many aspects.

Closest i remember was some of Ponting's genius runouts from cover point in one day games. Border was also great running people out from midwicket.

Jonty Rhodes was a great fielder but no real specific runout sticks in my mind, besides that obvious one when he took the stumps out but that was overrated imo. I have obviously missed some.

Jonty could hit the stumps from anywhere. And he was absolutely lightning in the field. Look up his highlights on YouTube, may not be as spectacular as some modern fielders but they're very impressive IMO. loved Jonty

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon there has to be a raft of changes before next test. Mostly off the pitch. When the majority of your side has continuously gone backwards over past few years that points to poor coaching. Plus team management and non incumbent development have been laughably bad. For inarguably the premiere sports team in the country to be so bad on and off the pitch is embarrassing. f**k at the moment they're not even our 3rd best national side

84 Baby

Referee
Actually stuff majority, all of the f**king team have gone backwards except Warner and Starc, but then it's not like they've gone forward either

phantom eel

First Grade
I think some of the players have started to indicate in interviews that cricket "season" is just too long now - goes all year round, three different forms (test, one day, 20-20), home and away tours, and throw in BBL and IPL as well.

It's not surprising that players don't know whether they;re arthur or martha anymore, and that the quality of performances in the older forms of the game have gone downhill.

I'm surprised the best players bother playing for their country anymore. If it were me I'd be hopping from tournament to tournament, raking in the dough.

84 Baby

Referee
I think some of the players have started to indicate in interviews that cricket "season" is just too long now - goes all year round, three different forms (test, one day, 20-20), home and away tours, and throw in BBL and IPL as well.

It's not surprising that players don't know whether they;re arthur or martha anymore, and that the quality of performances in the older forms of the game have gone downhill.
Doesn't seem to have affected India, Pakistan, England, Sri Lanka, NZ or Bangladesh? Besides us, the teams it seems to affected are Windies, whose players chose the short form over test decades ago and the Saffas, and well proof is in the pudding that at least they have handled it better than us. I reiterate our off field performance has been far more woeful than everything we have done on field

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I reckon there has to be a raft of changes before next test. Mostly off the pitch. When the majority of your side has continuously gone backwards over past few years that points to poor coaching. Plus team management and non incumbent development have been laughably bad. For inarguably the premiere sports team in the country to be so bad on and off the pitch is embarrassing. f**k at the moment they're not even our 3rd best national side

the selectors have already announced that the same team will play in Hobart, hopefully Siddle gets to carry the drinks

Latest posts