What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 4Nations - NZ 8-14 Australia @ Coventry

Week 2: New Zealand v Australia

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mxlegend99

Referee
Gee New Zealand looked ordinary. They made Ferguson look like a god. Hopefully he got a nice big confident boost from that.

He's much better without Dugan inside him too.

Spade

Juniors
Kiwis should take a lot out of that, they were absolutely pathetic for 77 minutes and still were in it on the final play. They would absolutely kill for a decent halves partner for Johnson.

Cronk should make a bit of a difference for Australia, Morgan was quiet.

Foran is a massive hole they can't fill, he should be back in 12 months hopefully.

If Australia play like they did in the last 60 minutes against the Kiwis again, I think the Kiwis would beat them. All that possession, especially in the first half, an they could only score 2 tries? Sheesh.

Morgan may be a good player for the Cowboys, but he offered zero for Australia today. Did sweet fa from a creativity point of view. Also the Australians have to run onto the ball. There was way too much standing still in this game and they made themselves easy pickings for the NZ defence.

Gillett didn't seem to offer much in the second row, Frizell might be better in his spot.

Klemmer played well oFf the bench. Seemed to punch holes in the Kiwis defence. Cordner kept powering along when he had the ball.

Ferguson though was brilliant. Didn't put a foot wrong. Proves how well he goes when he has a half decent centre inside him unlike that ball hog Dugan.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think Michael Morgan is a good player, but also rather limited. He's a strong ball runner who thrives outside of a genius like JT. The Cowboys are in for a rude awakening when JT retires because Morgan will find life much tougher.

Personally I still think Milford is a much more dangerous player and if you're looking at someone as Australia's next long term 5/8 then surely he'd be a better option than Morgan.

The Kiwis would have nightmares trying to defend Milf when already worrying about JT and Boyd.

Or Mal could simply have picked Maloney who is a far more accomplished 5/8 than Morgan. Not to mention one of the game's best big game players.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Gee New Zealand looked ordinary. They made Ferguson look like a god. Hopefully he got a nice big confident boost from that.

He's much better without Dugan inside him too.
I know Fergo is rather maligned on here, and tbh he doesn't deserve to be on tour after a poor year.

But he remains one of the most supremely talented outside backs in the world. So I'm amazed that people are shocked when he does something good. Well not shocked; I think it's more that people want him to fail.

He definitely benefited from having a genuine centre inside him.

Coastbloke

Bench
Didn't get to see the game but the Kiwis are missing Foran, RTS and Mannering. I also think Manu Vatuvei would be interesting up front. (Is he on tour..??)
On the commentating issue, it's clear Nein has no interest in IRL whatsoever and it would have been great if they had onsold the series to Seven and then Seven could have 'road tested' a potential RLWC Commentating team..

mxlegend99

Referee
Moylan is better than Morgan. Morgan hasn't done anything to deserve to be an autopick.

Be interesting to see if Meninga rests his utility to experiment with another. Not much of a risk compared to resting his star halfback against the second best team in the four nations.

The same side we beat Scotland with could do the job against the poms. Australia arent overly impressive either. These other sides are incredibly shit

Latest posts