What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Coach Rumour

FootynRacing

Juniors
Highly unlikely but just about anyone would be better than the gimp we have now. Next year though, assuming kpi's are in place and JT's lack of results can no longer be ignored surely it's time to bring in a tried, tested and proven coach that has results on the board ? That's if any of them are willing to join this mess

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Good to see the boardroom leaking has continued in its fine form of undermining the club.

As to the issue of replacing Taylor, I have heard in several fora that there are actual KPI's attached to Taylor's contract. Dunno if its true but I'd like to think that we have learnt from the Teflon Tim debacle and inserted them automatically in every coaching contract. If so, I'd say Taylor has only till about Round 10 or so of 2016 to show a way forward from the less than inspiring results for 2015. Yes, there were reasons in part for the result, but it cannot go on to 2016. 2016 has to be a marked improvement in the on-field performance of the team inc key areas of the halves, back rowers and our wing attack.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I know there are many pro's and con's with this whole situation with Robbie Farah, whether he stays or whether he goes; but I do know one thing, if we were to sack Taylor too early we will never attract a big name coach again.

What coach would come here, they see certain players are ruling the roost. A coach is the one who should have control over the players, not vice versa. Imagine Bennett or Bellamy being controlled by the players. It shouldn't happen. If Taylor doesn't get results by round 10 next year OK, he is seen to have failed, but sack him too early and it can be seen as the board backing players.

I really don't want Farah playing for another team (in Oz anyway) but it is nearly to a point where his position is untenable. The board must back one of them, if it is Farah the coach loses face and we run the risk of future coaches not wanting to come here. This is a major issue for the Tigers going forward.

It is just pi$$ing me off how it keeps happening to the club I support.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Farah is running the club, how come he has immediately adopted the new game plans etc by the last two coaches?

Given we have a rather hopeless pack, we need a hooker who can get the forwards some momentum and on the front foot. Farah is the best in the game at exactly that. Cherrington isn't far behind either.

If the club insists on mediocre forwards with a smattering of quality, then we need Farah purely to help the forwards go forward.

We shouldn't even consider moving him on until we get a pack that can make metres without assistance from dummy half.

Evidence - 2015

Sheens, Potter and Taylor have never said anything negative about Farah, or said anything about Farah pushing them out of their jobs, even after the former coaches were let go.

Sheens and Potter though have had a go at the way the club has been run. They never mentioned having any grief with any of the players.

If they are happy to come forward and criticise the way the club is run, then surely criticising or outing Farah, if he was in fact involved in their demise as coaches here would be something they would have done just as easily.

Former players have criticised the way the club is run. Not Farah.

Farah for mine has been made a scapegoat.

I would not be at all surprised if Farah moved on and we found the same issues and the same results and the same bullshit antics continued happen at the club.

Then they'll go after whoever is next handed the poisoned chalice of club captaincy.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I think by everything seen so far, the club will continue to back Taylor. But, I suspect Taylor, to is on borrowed time unless the team performs soon in the 2016 season.

The way I see it is not that Farah is disruptive but simply an opinion, by the club management and coaching staff, that the money being paid for Farah is not worth the total impact on the team structure and where they need to free up money to try to get players to remedy known deficiencies in our player rank abilities and to add urgency to the need to make the hard decision is the salary cap problems the club finds itself in through mismanagement by past executives and board.

Despite the nature of who has been tapped on the shoulder, I'm glad to see the club backing the coach in a hard decision. That the coach then gets a free pass on his, and the teams performance subsequent to this should not al all be taken for granted. Taylor will be under the microscope something severe now.

I get that the coach and board may not want Farah for various reasons but the moment they tried to blame a lack of player support as a reason for releasing Farah reflects perfectly how far out of their depth they are.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Madunit, you make some valid points relating to the club and coaches and I am not suggesting Farah is the one causing all the problems, I am more saying that as it stands now something has to give with our coaching staff and this continual desire for us (Wests Tigers) to sack coaches. It is a poor look in my opinion.

I am all for Farah, I think he will be sorely missed if he leaves the club. Truth is he is a proven commodity where Taylor is not, the only thing Taylor has done is nearly get us the wooden spoon.

One Farahs performance for the year a guy at work told me that Farah has only polled Dally M points once this year and that was last week against the Warriors. Can anyone confirm this? I guess it really does show he has had a quiet year if true.

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I get that the coach and board may not want Farah for various reasons but the moment they tried to blame a lack of player support as a reason for releasing Farah reflects perfectly how far out of their depth they are.

The whole thing is just another less than credible performance by our clubs management of a situation. Seems so much of what they do is ham-fisted.

Most things concerning Farah I'm taking with a grain of salt at the moment- both positive and negative. The truth will out in the future but not now when the barricades are up on both sides and the PR war in full swing. (edit- and lawyers in the wing sweating on their piece of the $$$$)

Last edited:

Johnny88

Juniors
Noddy would be a good coach imo . I know he always says you coach a side to its strengths' in commentary. Not sure how long Taylor will last with all this pressure around.

Tigers Tale

Juniors

True....

I have not seen one player give Farah the cold shoulder. I am not a body language expert but I tell you what the whole team seem pretty happy with Farah to me.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Madunit, you make some valid points relating to the club and coaches and I am not suggesting Farah is the one causing all the problems, I am more saying that as it stands now something has to give with our coaching staff and this continual desire for us (Wests Tigers) to sack coaches. It is a poor look in my opinion.

I am all for Farah, I think he will be sorely missed if he leaves the club. Truth is he is a proven commodity where Taylor is not, the only thing Taylor has done is nearly get us the wooden spoon.

One Farahs performance for the year a guy at work told me that Farah has only polled Dally M points once this year and that was last week against the Warriors. Can anyone confirm this? I guess it really does show he has had a quiet year if true.

When you win 25% of your games and have such a mediocre game plan and your star players key asset has been taken away from him (Farah's running game from dummy half) then all Farah becomes is a passer and a tackler, which is all he has been allowed to do this year, then its impossible for him to score Dally M points (or any of our players for that matter)

But it's what Taylor wanted and its exactly what Farah provided. Farah did as he was told.

Look beyond Farah. Brooks, Moses, Tedesco, Cherrington, Simona - these kids create opportunities. They like to take on the line.

Taylor has taken that away from all of them as well and has us playing this one-out-then-midfield-bomb bullshit. The times we aren't forced to do that, we just crab sideways.

It's painful to watch, especially when a side like the Sharks, well known for their one dimensional attack, looks far more threatening with the ball in hand then we do, especially when we have the side full of creative attackers.

That match alone showed just how bad a coach Taylor is.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some facts

We won 1 of 4 games against the 2 worst defensive sides in the comp (Titans and Knights)
2 of wooden sponners (Knights) 8 wins were against us.
The worst attacking side in the comp (Penrith) racked up 35 points in their win against us.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
When you win 25% of your games and have such a mediocre game plan and your star players key asset has been taken away from him (Farah's running game from dummy half) then all Farah becomes is a passer and a tackler, which is all he has been allowed to do this year, then its impossible for him to score Dally M points (or any of our players for that matter)

But it's what Taylor wanted and its exactly what Farah provided. Farah did as he was told.

Look beyond Farah. Brooks, Moses, Tedesco, Cherrington, Simona - these kids create opportunities. They like to take on the line.

Taylor has taken that away from all of them as well and has us playing this one-out-then-midfield-bomb bullshit. The times we aren't forced to do that, we just crab sideways.

It's painful to watch, especially when a side like the Sharks, well known for their one dimensional attack, looks far more threatening with the ball in hand then we do, especially when we have the side full of creative attackers.

That match alone showed just how bad a coach Taylor is.

Have to agree, this pretty much sums thing up.

We have some red hot attacking players, this was shown against the Dragons (well for part of the game) it is just a travesty they were not allowed to play what was in front of them all year. Someone should have whispered to Taylor half way through the year what he was doing wasn't working....

FlameThrower

Bench
What confuses me is that Taylor was the attacking coach at Roosters correct? Why try to dismantle the Tigers DNA of attack and also not bolster your Defense? Tigers would be crazy sacking Taylor as it would mean u would be paying for 3 coaches next year? No matter what PR machine and fans think it can't be tolerated to have another coach be turfed out because of Farrahs influence ??

Magpies Forever

Juniors
What confuses me is that Taylor was the attacking coach at Roosters correct? Why try to dismantle the Tigers DNA of attack and also not bolster your Defense? Tigers would be crazy sacking Taylor as it would mean u would be paying for 3 coaches next year? No matter what PR machine and fans think it can't be tolerated to have another coach be turfed out because of Farrahs influence ??

3 x coaches? To the best of my knowledge, Sheens has settled & Potter wasnt renewed.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah Sheens has been paid out and Potters contract ended.

And Taylor won't be on much. He is the most sackable coach we've had since Terry Lamb.

If KPI's are a part of his contract that the team dont meet next season then ars%holeing him from his position may not cause the club a great deal of money.

magpie guy

Juniors
I am going to go on record as not liking Jason Taylor and not thinking much of his coaching ability. I think we would have been much better off to have kept Potter or signed a Folks/Brown.

We had more wins with Potter last season even with a massive injury list. Taylor couldn't do the same with far fewer injuries.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Whatever you think of him we can't rid of Taylor anytime soon.

There is no way any decent coach would come near the club if we do. He has at least another 12 months.

If he were to flop again I think we have to go all out for a top line coach. Hasler, Bellamy or McGuire. If Harry is serious about helping the club put your hand in your pocket. $1 mil a year would get any of these guys. Tell them they can sack the whole 25 if they want, change our name to the fairies for all we care. Club is yours, total control.