What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

Pommy

Coach
I can't see the GF not selling out. It was packed last year and almost all the fans had to fly in.
Either way I will be there and I can't wait for it now.

Raiderdave

First Grade
AFL will finish down 8k or -0.1% the worst since 2002
The AFLs brave expansion move of 5 years ago may well have substantial results over the next few years
well if they keep rigging their comp & morons keep overlooking this
they may well do yes

Raiderdave

First Grade
Not even sure favouritism is a strong enough term.
It's sanctioned manipulation of the comp.
To get the first 4 draft picks before anyone else , to be able to spend more then anyone else on player wages is a direct & deliberate attempt to manipulate the course of one team in a comp & their success.
It wouldn't be tolerated in any other sport

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Why don't they position the supporters facing the broadcast rather than behind it. seems like a lot in the lower tier behind the camera from the limited shots I have seen

Because the eastern side gets hammered by sun. A pretty toasty 29 here in Brisbane today.

Also the western side that they are all in has the Broncos member bar under the seats (not behind) and its brilliant. General public can use it for things like this, Broncos finals and Origins.

EDIT - 29!

Last edited:

DIOGENES

Juniors
Not even sure favouritism is a strong enough term.
It's sanctioned manipulation of the comp.
To get the first 4 draft picks before anyone else , to be able to spend more then anyone else on player wages is a direct & deliberate attempt to manipulate the course of one team in a comp & their success.
It wouldn't be tolerated in any other sport

I would say a smart move. By getting a joke team into the finals within 5 years they have ensured their survival and will likely significantly increase their crowds. I can't see NRL teams agreeing to this if we ever try to make it into a national game. But then again the AFL mindset is that of a Zealot

BuffaloRules

Coach
I would say a smart move. By getting a joke team into the finals within 5 years they have ensured their survival and will likely significantly increase their crowds. I can't see NRL teams agreeing to this if we ever try to make it into a national game. But then again the AFL mindset is that of a Zealot

They had less than half support in a home crowd of 20k for a GF qualifier...

What ensures their survival is the extra $20 mil a year they get from the AFL...

When they are back down the bottom again, refer Brisbane Lions after 3 Premierships in a row...

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
That was the storms arguement for cap cheating..

We need to pay overs to stay relevant in melbourne.. the afl does it all the time

Brian waldron the afl guy was like " whats the problem"

Afl has to be the most contrived competition in world sport. ..

Its a true business.. rig the comp to best commercial gain ..

DIOGENES

Juniors
They had less than half support in a home crowd of 20k for a GF qualifier...

What ensures their survival is the extra $20 mil a year they get from the AFL...

When they are back down the bottom again, refer Brisbane Lions after 3 Premierships in a row...
You may well be right and I take back my view.Brisbane now averaging 17k down from 33.5k in 2004. It would take a lot of money to maintain the sort of support you described
I always think it hilarious that most Victorians think all it takes is for someone to see the game for them to become a life long fan. They get very excited about a game being shown on Chinese TV

Raiderdave

First Grade
any success they have will be tainted & questioned by anyone with half a brain until theyre treated like the other clubs

in fact
its the same for the Swans too
& Suns
its a dogs breakfast of a comp
end of

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
It was one of the lower drawing final series but that is put down to the teams involved and the venues used. I would say it was one of the most successful finals series ever, despite crowds being down.

2 Canberra sellouts, NQ selling out, Melbourne posting 21K and 29K. Both prelims drawing extremely well. The only disappointing crowd was Penrith V Dogs. The NRL would be extremely happy.

Its pointless comparing finals series crowds anyway, since it all comes down to which teams make the top 8.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
It was one of the lower drawing final series but that is put down to the teams involved and the venues used. I would say it was one of the most successful finals series ever, despite crowds being down.

2 Canberra sellouts, NQ selling out, Melbourne posting 21K and 29K. Both prelims drawing extremely well. The only disappointing crowd was Penrith V Dogs. The NRL would be extremely happy.

Its pointless comparing finals series crowds anyway, since it all comes down to which teams make the top 8.

I'm glad only 43k attended our home final with pricing more expensive than both prelims. I'm bitter still.