What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

Marlins

Juniors
I tend to agree. It might surprise us. It is a family friendly timeslot assuming Mum and Dad are home from work early enough. The pubs are full at this time, people do tend to knock off early on Fridays.

There were people that said Friday night football (and then Saturday night) wouldn't work in the late 80s, early 90s.
I think it will do much better crowd wise then MNF and I think the TV Ratings will be brilliant. It will also be shown to a lot more ppl who knock off work on Friday and head to the pub what else will be shown at a pub on a Friday at 6pm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
20 team comp with 19 game season. 9 home, 9 away and 1 on the road is the way to go by 2023. People are bored by mid season, crowd drop off proves it and origin just adds to the problem.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To stop you furthering derailing the membership thread i'll move this in here!

You literally said:

And have now TWICE shifted the goalposts on your argument. Either the decision was made by the CEO or it wasn't. You don't know who made the decision, you're just casting stones.

And if the 1% comes true and it succeeds, do you still want it turfed?

You know this forum has its own word filter right? Deliberately avoiding it doesn't make you cool.

And who gives a f**k what the AFL got? We got our money and in 2018 the NRL re-assume control of the fixture from the networks. Fact.

The decision would have been made by the Commission and CEO, not some mid level manager like you think!

No, if by some miracle it is a roaring success then I'll eat my hat and it can stay lol

Good to benchmark; less money, shtter schedule. We fell short again of the benchmark.

Marlins

Juniors
I'd like to see a 20 team comp played over 22 rounds. Play 11 games take 3 weeks off for origin period then play last 11 with finals. Also origin to be played 5pm kick off on a Sunday.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think most people on here agree that a slightly shorter season with a dedicated SOO period would be ideal. Gives more space for international league as well.

I just don't see it actually happening. I understand we would lose money by having less rounds but I think potentiallly we would see an increase in crowds and tv ratings and would avoid the post SOO drop. I actually think having a 3aeek standalone period would enhance the regular season. By the time the NRL game back everyone would be super excited to see their team and the run to the finals.

Problem is it's a big risk and that's simply not what rugby league does.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You could use byes to spread the season longer but 19 games per club is enough imo. With 20 teams you could still have 8 games a weekend just more byes.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
To stop you furthering derailing the membership thread i'll move this in here!

The decision would have been made by the Commission and CEO, not some mid level manager like you think!

No, if by some miracle it is a roaring success then I'll eat my hat and it can stay lol

Good to benchmark; less money, shtter schedule. We fell short again of the benchmark.

Yes, I post updated membership figures and you say I'm the one derailing the membership thread :D

As for the decision, it would have been ratified at the top level, but it likely came from a collaboration between broadcasters and competition coordinators (i.e. middle management).

Your short sightedness and willing of our game to fail remains remarkable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ultimate sign off comes from the commission at the recommendation of the CEO. Ergo they are responsible for the decision and agreement. Deary me.
Your irrational acceptance of sht decisions that damage the game remains remarkable to me.

Timmah

Staff member
Ultimate sign off comes from the commission at the recommendation of the CEO. Ergo they are responsible for the decision and agreement. Deary me.
Your irrational acceptance of sht decisions that damage the game remains remarkable to me.
It's not up to you or me to 'accept' the decision. It's happening. Willing it to fail isn't in the best interests of the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hoping it doesn't limp along for the next 6 years ultimately damaging attendance at games is very much in the best interest of the game. I'd rather it failed and was changed asap than that. Of course if it is a roaring success then all will be well in timmah world.

And as invested customers of the game we don't have to meakly accept poor decisions. RL fans need to be more vocal then maybe we wouldn't see the game run so poorly.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Hoping it doesn't limp along for the next 6 years ultimately damaging attendance at games is very much in the best interest of the game. I'd rather it failed and was changed asap than that. Of course if it is a roaring success then all will be well in timmah world.

And as invested customers of the game we don't have to meakly accept poor decisions. RL fans need to be more vocal then maybe we wouldn't see the game run so poorly.

Needs to be a rugby league supporters association. most sports in Europe have one but in Australia I think k only the a-league and AFL do so.

Organised boycotts of certain timeslots by clubs by club fan groups would also get the media's and ARL attention

Emu01

Juniors
Needs to be a rugby league supporters association. most sports in Europe have one but in Australia I think k only the a-league and AFL do so.

Organised boycotts of certain timeslots by clubs by club fan groups would also get the media's and ARL attention

Great idea! They never listen to us fans when I believe we are the most knowledgeable in the game. Bring it on.

As long as Perth Red Isn't president we should do alright.

Timmah

Staff member

PR mate, it's not black or white - it's not "the NRL is grand" vs "they are dumbshit evil pricks".

There is no "Timmah world" - if it's a failure I hope they can it.

I hope its not a failure for the simple fact that I want our game to prosper. If it fails it's a lesson learned for them and I hope it's gone for 2018.

Nobody is sitting here saying "lets meekly accept poor decisions". As others have noted in this thread and others, its entirely possible that experiment could work. All well and good to doubt it will work - I'm not 100% convinced it will work, but I don't see why it needs to be attacked at the level at which you are doing so.

Also if you don't think RL fans are vocal I don't think you know enough about RL fans in general :joy::joy::joy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great idea! They never listen to us fans when I believe we are the most knowledgeable in the game. Bring it on.

As long as Perth Red Isn't president we should do alright.

I will make rugby league great again! (And am friends with Putin)

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm also on the shorter season bandwagon.

A faux-conference system that is used to generate fair draws but not standings.
4 'conferences', teams grouped to maximise attendances.
Each team plays each other team once (15) plus their own conference again once (3) for 18 total games.

Interim draw (to ease clubs, fans, TV networks into shorter seasons) add another conference round to the above for 4 more games and reduce by 1 game each year.

The shortfall can be made up (over time) by giving increasing the number of internationals and giving them the space and respect they deserve, building them towards SOO-like crowds and ratings.

Last edited:

Warriors Fever

Juniors
I'm also on the shorter season bandwagon.

A faux-conference system that is used to generate fair draws but not standings.
4 'conferences', teams grouped to maximise attendances.
Each team plays each other team once (15) plus their own conference again once (3) for 18 total games.

The shortfall can be made up (over time) by giving increasing the number of internationals and giving them the space and respect they deserve, building them towards SOO-like crowds and ratings.

I like this idea, what are some of the conferences you'd have?
Mine would be
Easts, Souths, Dragons and Cronulla
Bulldogs, Eels, Penrith, Wests Tigers
Melbourne, NZ Warriors, Brisbane, Cows
Titans, Manly, Newcatle and Canberra
Now of course these don't all match up accordingly but I guess you've got most of the big drawing games twice a year.

adamkungl

Immortal
I like this idea, what are some of the conferences you'd have?
Mine would be
Easts, Souths, Dragons and Cronulla
Bulldogs, Eels, Penrith, Wests Tigers
Melbourne, NZ Warriors, Brisbane, Cows
Titans, Manly, Newcatle and Canberra
Now of course these don't all match up accordingly but I guess you've got most of the big drawing games twice a year.

hmmm. Impossible for a 'perfect' answer but yours is close. Switch Titans and Warriors.

Latest posts