What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Wk 2 Semi - Raiders 22-12 Panthers @ GIO Stadium

Semi Finals: Raiders v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sphagnum

Coach
How Cummins keeps getting a gig in first grade I'll never know. I guess he's great for the NRL if they want a certain result.

mongoose

Coach
The Panthers will be scary good in the coming years....

They didn't play a smart game last night, though neither did we at times. Paulo, Hodgson, Leilua, Papali were good for us. Whitehead was easily our worst, he had a shocker. Soliola made a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes as well.

thommo4pm

Coach
I didn't see this game - I assume the refs were scrupulously fair to both sides as usual.
It's only some Penrith fans who thought the refs were bad.
In reality they had little to do with the result.
The better side won.
Apart from a 10-15 minute window in the 2nd half, Canberra were never threatened seriously

nick87

Coach
It was only when the panthers felt the game was getting away from them time wise that they started throwing wild offloads, a couple of them stuck and they got some tries
You can't really defend those when the passes stick, and the bounce of the balls go against you when they dump balls out the back without care

They didn't look like breaking us other than wild play like that

TheFrog

Coach
They didn't look like breaking us other than wild play like that
That wasn't wild play that is how we attack. We needed to keep it going after the second try, as the Raiders looked shot. The game was winnable with 10 to go but we just couldn't get our hands on the ball in the latter stages. A few very dubious calls the Raiders way but with 58% of the ball they were the better side for most of the game.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Vaughan was a monster as an aside.
That wasn't wild play that is how we attack. We needed to keep it going after the second try, as the Raiders looked shot. The game was winnable with 10 to go but we just couldn't get our hands on the ball in the latter stages. A few very dubious calls the Raiders way but with 58% of the ball they were the better side for most of the game.

Justice for the illegal wall in bathurst.

nick87

Coach

Yeah to be honest I thought that's how they'd play all game, which is why I wasn't very confident. The raiders struggle badly with teams who offload, but I felt like we did a really good job on Merrin and Cartwright defensively locking the ball up and stopping their 2nd phase

no name

Coach
The only referee 'howler' I saw was the Croker put down on the leg.
Massive play, but Canberra were the better side.

Spade

Juniors
It's only some Penrith fans who thought the refs were bad.
In reality they had little to do with the result.
The better side won.
Apart from a 10-15 minute window in the 2nd half, Canberra were never threatened seriously

It would've got threatening if Penrith managed to get some ball after making it 18-12.

mxlegend99

Referee
Better side won. They had some ridiculously soft calls to help them at times. But they will give the Storm a better fight then Panthers would and they are a side capable of winning now. Not just a side of the future.

Hoping they make the grand final. Raiders vs Sharks would be great.

Red Bear

Referee
I thought Canberra did well to kick the ball away from Mansour a lot, Penrith couldn't get the same run on from start of sets they did against the dogs.

Agree that Whitehead had a stinker, he tried way too hard.

Hodgson and Austin should be better next week also

soc123_au

Staff member
The refs f**ked us, but you make your own luck to a point. If we hang on to the pill we would have really tested the raiders. Defensively they did a job on us. I'm disappointed with the result, but hardly "salty" it's been a good ride, just sad to see it end.

I would love to have another shot at that game on a dry track with it officiated in the same manner as the cows/donkey game. Maybe next year.

Great to see Austin get through the game ok too. Hopefully he has a blinder next week. Great player and an even better man. Wish him all the success in the world.

martielang

Bench
Firstly, congrats Raiders, fully deserved. I'm on the bandwagon.

Being a panthers supporter I'm probably going to be biased, but from what I saw at the ground Akaoula off the kick off and JFHs two head highs late all looked to have very minimal/if any head contact .... Was that the case?