What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Wk 2 Semi - Raiders 22-12 Panthers @ GIO Stadium

Semi Finals: Raiders v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nick87

Coach
The kick off one was a definite pen. Hit Rapana pretty flush and definitely high.
Same with the JFH one on Wighton.

On the the one that give us the 8 point buffer? It was technically the right call, it'd be a bitter pill to see a season end on such a soft head high... he got Sezer on the shoulders and because Sezer was cutting across him, the arm slipped up around the neck... it's a penalty by the rules, but given the circumstances, i think many referees would have let it go.

TheFrog

Coach
Firstly, congrats Raiders, fully deserved. I'm on the bandwagon.

Being a panthers supporter I'm probably going to be biased, but from what I saw at the ground Akaoula off the kick off and JFHs two head highs late all looked to have very minimal/if any head contact .... Was that the case?
The Akauola one on Rapana was probably a fair pinch but looked worse than it was, it got him in the jaw when he ducked to take the ball. He'd already lost it when Akauola arrived, pity he couldn't have pulled out, it would have been our ball.

Both the Fisher Harris ones were very soft indeed, especially the second one that resulted in Canberra going 8 ahead. It must be said though that Akaoula was very fortunate not to be penalised just before the second of them, in front of the sticks, for having his arm tangled up in the ball carrying arm. I thought Cummings would blow the whistle for sure.

Penalties were 5-0 Canberra in the final 10 minutes, which pretty much decided the match. I wonder what Ricky would have said if he'd been on the wrong side of that.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
It's only some Penrith fans who thought the refs were bad.
In reality they had little to do with the result.
The better side won.
Apart from a 10-15 minute window in the 2nd half, Canberra were never threatened seriously

I think there's little doubt there were some very poor decisions that favoured Canberra and they were good enough to covert those into points.

For a period in the second half, when Penrith finally had some ball and were allowed to play it at a decent speed the game started to look a bit like last week's match v Cronulla. Cue the head highs from the young Panthers forwards and game over.

For all the talk of rep footy, Bryce Cartwright will need to have a very good look at what the two things connected on to the end of his arms are for and learn how to use them properly when carrying the football. He also needs someone to point out where his shoulders are and learn how to use them when he doesn't have the football. He was very poor in the last 2 games.

This Year?

Immortal
Penrith are a young side and have so much potential. Last night was not their night but it will give them much needed experience for their next finals campaign. I felt the moment got to them and the conditions didn't suit their style of play. Mansour and Cleary didn't get enough ball and it took them an age to work out how to get through Canberra's line.

The Raiders held on but were there for the taking in the last 20. If they are any chance of making the grand final they will have to play like they did about month ago against the Storm. I hope they will be ready to give it a real shake.

GongPanther

Referee
On to Melbourne, nothing to lose.

Except a spot in the 2016 Grand Final.

If there is a side other than the Cows to beat the Storm,it is your mob.

The Penrith game was the perfect preparation you needed,to get yourself ready to do battle with the Evil Empire.

GongPanther

Referee
Will Te Maire Martin move into 5/8 next year?

Agree about Cartwright, just a waste in the halves.

In general play,Cartwright has not been pulling his weight.He was rubbish last night,and when the tough got going,he went missing.Even in last weeks game,you had to look for him to make sure he was on the ground.

skeepe

Immortal
Get DWZ on the tackling bags in the off season and he might be up to it.
DWZ needs to learn to stop being a fake tough guy. He was lucky to not concede a penalty 10 metres out from his own line for taking out the marker after playing the ball and there was absolutely no reason for it.

He's got a lot of potential but he's a total dick and eventually it will cost the Panthers.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
In rd 1 he slapped papalii and grabbed him on the dick lol. Actual punches ended up being thrown but the refs gave everyone a pass because of boys will be boys and it was hot.

It was a very grubby game. Lima hit soward in the balls with a wwe style low blow.

I just think the heat short circuited everyone's brain.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Leota must've been caught nuts deep in Griffins missus or something... Imagine being named, and not seeing a single minute of game time in a sudden death finals match...

TheFrog

Coach
The pom is nothing special and wont stay at Penrith
He's a decent but far from world beating first grader and we are pretty well covered in the positions he plays. Plus no doubt he can command much higher coin in England. He doesn't appear to be getting inundated with offers from other NRL clubs.

Latest posts