What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017/18 Contracts

TIGER14

Bench
Stanlake, Agar and Cartwright the big winners as veterans miss out

Cricket Australia has today announced 33 male and female players as its centrally contracted players for 2017-18.

Twenty men and 13 women have been offered contracts by CA, which are intended to come in to effect on 1 July this year.

Towering Queensland quick Billy Stanlake and Western Australia allrounders Ashton Agar and Hilton Cartwight have been offered contracts for the first time.

Tasmania allrounder James Faulkner, NSW wicketkeeper Peter Nevill, WA batsman Shaun Marsh and Victoria fast bowler Peter Siddle were not offered contracts.

CA male contract offers for 2017-18: Ashton Agar, Jackson Bird, Hilton Cartwright, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith, Billy Stanlake, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

CA female contract offers for 2017-18: Kristen Beams, Alex Blackwell, Nicole Bolton, Lauren Cheatle, Rachael Haynes, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Meg Lanning, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Elyse Villani, Amanda-Jade Wellington

"We have selected 20 players for this year’s contract list with a focus on players who we believe could play a part in an exciting 12 months of cricket, which includes the Ashes and an important away Test Series against South Africa," said National Selector Trevor Hohns.

"Consideration has also been given to some players who we believe could potentially play in all three formats for Australia."

Contract list newcomers Cartwright and Stanlake made their international debuts this summer, while Agar was one of four spinners chosen for the Qantas Tour of India last month.

"Hilton has thoroughly earned his spot in the list this year," Hohns said. "He was the second highest runs scorer in the Sheffield Shield last season and, when given his opportunity with the Test side last summer, he impressed.

"He is an exciting prospect for Australian cricket and we look forward to seeing him perform for Australia in the coming 12 months, if given his opportunity.

"Ashton is a talented young player who we consider offers a fantastic package with his batting, bowling and fielding, and someone who is capable of playing all forms of the game.

"Billy has picked up the last spot on the contract list for the coming season.

"We see him as a player of immense talent and a great option for Australia in the future.

"We want to be able to monitor his progress in the coming 12 months, not dissimilar to what we have done with Pat Cummins in the past."

Left-arm spinner Stephen O'Keefe, batsman Joe Burns and George Bailey, paceman John Hastings and retired batsman Adam Voges were the other male players who were CA contracted last year not to receive an offer.

The women's proposed contract list features a mix of the past and future, with Rachel Haynes offered a contract for the fist time in four years while Amanda-Jade Wellington earns a maiden contract.

"We’re really pleased with the calibre of players knocking on the door, with several having already made their international debuts last summer, and believe that these players have the ability and drive to continue their dominance as the best team in the world,’’ said National Selector Shawn Flegler.

"Having claimed more World Cup titles than any other country and won every major trophy, this side now has the chance to stake their claim as one of the most successful teams in Australian sporting history. That will continue to make cricket the sport of choice for women and girls all over the country."

For those who missed out, a player can earn a upgraded CA contract by gaining national selection during the year.

Female players need to earn 12 upgrade points, with four points awarded for a Test appearance, two for an ODI and one for a T20I.

Male players also require 12 points to earn an upgrade, but Test matches are worth five points, while ODIs and T20Is mirror their female colleagues.

The contract lists, for both national and domestic teams, will be finalised once the new MOU between CA and the ACA is in place, which is scheduled to be completed by 1 July.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/cric...men-women-stanlake-cartwright-agar/2017-04-24

Barkley

Bench
So why does Agar have a contract?

SOK had a good tour of India and Agar can't get a game in any format but is in our top 25?

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
No Nevill is a joke, not sure why Agar gets a go at all and Stanlake and Finch are shit.

Mitch Marsh is a joke too but entirely predictable

Timbo

Staff member
I would suggest that Agar getting one and Sok not means his cards have been marked after his most recent drunken outburst.

I'm pissed at no Nevill, but as long as Wade has Hohns children tied up under guard in Uganda, and Handscomb will be the reserve keeper on tours, he was never going to get the nod.

I really hope Cartwright gets an extended run at 6, I genuinely think he has the temperament to be a test match batsman.

undertaker

Coach
Didn't the CA contract list used to be 25 players? Or have CA minimised it to 20 in order to accommodate the 13 females, especially in view of the pay disputes which have been occurring over the past couple of years?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Stanlake being picked is a complete embarrassment.

He has only played 2 Sheffield Shield games in his career with the last being in 2015.

I feel for Sayers who continues to take a lot of Shield wickets each season but doesn't play BBL. So he isn't noticed.

Timbo

Staff member

He has only played 2 Sheffield Shield games in his career with the last being in 2015.

I feel for Sayers who continues to take a lot of Shield wickets each season but doesn't play BBL. So he isn't noticed.

Yeah but Stanlake bowls at 150kph. Who cares if he sprays it all over the place.

It's not like a bloke who bowls at 130kph flat out will ever take 500 test wickets.

Wait a minute.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah Sayers, Faulkner, Nathan Coulter-Yangtze,Tremain, young Harry Conway, the opening quick from my clubs first grade side and the injured former grade quick down the pub can probably all feel a but aggrieved that Stanklake has a central contract....

TheParraboy

Staff member
11 tests over the next 12 months. We play 7 home test (2 v Bangers 5 ashes) and 4 in SA
very unlikely (SCG test an exception) we take in two spinners. So kinda understand why SOK is not listed (plus his mis demeanours away from the cricket field wouldnt have helped). Be interesting if Lyon breaks down and is out injured wether they draft in SOK or use Zampa? Surely Agar is for the shorter forms of the game only???

Jackson Bird is an interesting selection. I cant see him playing the shorter form of the game. For tests we will have Starc, Pattinson, Cummins and Hazlewood. Unless there is a spate of injuries he may not play an international.

Other than Stanlake and Agar the squad is as expected considering it was 25 strong in previous years now is 20.

JJ

Immortal
Bloody O'Keefe - what a twat...

Stanlake? Reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Iafeta

Referee
Also surprised Bancroft isn't there. Decent bat and a gloveman that would rival Wade.

undertaker

Coach

It has been a known fact for many years that the selectors no longer use Sheffield Shield form as a basis for potential test selection. The Shield/AIS system that made our test team a force to be reckoned with during 1995-2007 has been put on the backburner in place of BBL, because at the end of the day, money talks and it's going to continue to remain that way for as long as the millions of dollars keep flowing through to CA headquarters. As much as I want to see change, don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

After all, these are the same Australian selectors who picked a player in the recent Chappell-Hadlee series who hadn't even played a 50 over/List A match for his own state! Go figure!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thought they may have gone Swepson over Agar.

Wade is fair enough, whether we rate the bloke or not he was pretty good in India. They aren't going back to Nevill.

Stanlake is the bolter, there is always one of them. Personally would have picked Sayers but I understand the reasoning behind this selection.

Latest posts