What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017/18 Contracts

mozza91

Coach
What exactly about Wade's performance in India was 'pretty good?' He was shit with bat and gloves.

lockyno1

Post Whore
What exactly about Wade's performance in India was 'pretty good?' He was shit with bat and gloves.

His glove work was better than I thought it would be. His batting was fair, couple of good knocks.

They are not going to recall Nevill.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
His glove work had to improve, it couldn't have got any worse, it was still well below par at international level.

And he made 1 score with the bat, not good enough, probabaly our worst keep since Tim Zohrer and he was only picked because he could bowl.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
His glove work had to improve, it couldn't have got any worse, it was still well below par at international level.

And he made 1 score with the bat, not good enough, probabaly our worst keep since Tim Zohrer and he was only picked because he could bowl.
Bowling is what Wade does best as well.

undertaker

Coach
Players who have played over the past 12 months in tests/ODIs and are no longer in the Australian squad nor contract list:

Shaun Marsh
Joe Burns
Nic Maddinson
Adam Voges
Callum Ferguson
George Bailey
Peter Nevill
James Faulkner
Peter Siddle
Jon Holland
Joe Mennie
Steve O'Keefe

There's a 12 player squad of it's own right there!

Timbo

Staff member
I just read an article that said Faulkner signed a 120,000 pound contract to play the first half of the County season but Cricket Australia blocked it because they wanted him rested for the Champions Trophy.

If that's true I really hope he sues them. That's an incredibly low act by CA.

undertaker

Coach
I just read an article that said Faulkner signed a 120,000 pound contract to play the first half of the County season but Cricket Australia blocked it because they wanted him rested for the Champions Trophy.

If that's true I really hope he sues them. That's an incredibly low act by CA.
Oh, I was just about to write about that.

Sucks that CA told him to reject the offer to rest for the Champions Trophy, only to not get picked in the Champions Trophy squad and then complete miss out on a CA contract as well as the 120,000 pound contract he forfeited. I too would feel extremely disillusioned of ever representing an organisation who did that to me. As Rodney Hogg said, although Faulkner is only 27, I would be extremely surprised if he was ever picked for Australia again. His career has gone the way of Simon O'Donnell, who was put on the scrapheap at 28.

Reminds me a lot of how Doug Bollinger's test career when to craps as well. Was told by CA not to play any cricket in the lead-up to the 2010/11 Ashes as they needed him to rest up, only to be omitted from the 1st test and when he was selected in the 2nd test, his fitness was absolutely shot to pieces, returning match figures of 1/130 and never got selected again.

typicalfan

Coach
Faulkner will rake it in playing T20.

How can you justify selecting Cartwright over him.

Why would CA want to restrict his development in the red ball game? Afraid he might challenge Mitch?

Timbo

Staff member
The way they stuffed him up as a red ball cricketer really annoys me.

You hear people say all the time he's not suited for test cricket because he bowls cutters and chinamen. But in FC cricket he just bowls inswing at 135kph. They either blocked him from playing in the Shield or restricted his bowing for years to preserve him for ODIs, all the while he was saying he wanted to get back into the test team.

Look at his FC record - it's fantastic. But he never had a chance because of CA's view of him and their idiotic policies.

typicalfan

Coach
Not only that but players going out and playing County cricket on their own bat should be encouraged!

Its the best experience an Australian cricketer can have playing red ball cricket abroad. It is just stupidity.

undertaker

Coach
Things are about to get very interesting, with June 30 only a few weeks away and player contract disputes still unresolved:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...layers-heightens-tension-20170513-gw45tl.html

By the sounds of things, the Bangladesh test series in the Top End is going to go ahead and will be interesting to see the squad Australia fields if the contract dispute continues.

What I also find interesting from that article is Pat Howard approached Smith, Warner et al. to sign multi-year contract on the condition of missing the IPL

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...ss-indian-premier-league-20170510-gw1j6x.html

.......um, Pat you braindead moron, that ain't going to happen with the big, easy money they can get from that 7 week tournament. What's even more braindead is Pat Howard being re-signed as executive team manager of general performance....oh dear....

It's very ironic that CA sold out to the BCCI in 2008 with the Monkeygate controversy and have had India out in Australia regularly (whether it be for tests or ODIs) due to the big money they get from Star Sports (who've paid CA to sent their own commentary team out to Australia since 2003/04), yet now they want the elite Aussie players to sit out from the IPL. "Do as I say, not as I do"

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Serious question, female cricketers don't generate any revenue so how are they on full time contracts? ($200,000 per year)

undertaker

Coach
Serious question, female cricketers don't generate any revenue so how are they on full time contracts? ($200,000 per year)
This, this, this, this, THIS!

I was waiting for someone to bring this point up. Another example of this far-left feminist influence that has been permeating sport in Australia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for women participating and playing cricket and there are several talented players (Perry, Lanning), but no way should they be getting a slice of the mens' revenue stream when their game doesn't generate anywhere near the interest, crowds, tv ratings and revenue of men's cricket. Until it does, they should not be on 6-digit full-time contracts. They shouldn't be incorporated into the higher echelons of the game solely on a 'ladies and gentlemen' basis, which is what the feminazis have been pushing for.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Why would any talented women pursue cricket if they continued getting the short end of the stick? What possible incentive is there for young women to basically take a full time job as a cricketer if they're earning a pittance? It's nothing to do with "feminazis" or some ridiculous political standpoint. It's to do with growing and expanding the womens game...

Latest posts