What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017/18 Contracts

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think the issue with Women's cricket is a chicken and egg scenario, once you start watching it you start to follow it but if its not televised you cant start watching it

I actually like it

axl rose

Bench
I think the issue with Women's cricket is a chicken and egg scenario, once you start watching it you start to follow it but if its not televised you cant start watching it
I actually like it

Novelty. The WNBA was popular as well for about a year, and the Adelaide Rams.

Red Bear

Referee
Put money into it the quality improves. The game has come on big time in the last ten years or so and its no coincidence that it has occured as funding has increased.

Plus, given the money shield cricketers make, opens up some sketchy ground if you are going to base money on revenue generated

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
dont think that would happen, crowds would stay at home in their droves

Bazal

Post Whore
Hypothetically, if it happens (and it won't), move the Tests to smaller centres.

15k at Manuka or Hobart is a hell of a lot better than 15k at the MCG....

Anyway it's all just talk. As if a serious pro cricketer in this day and age is going to miss out on a home ashes series. It's not like they earn a joke amount like they did prior to World Series cricket.

Timbo

Staff member
Could be deja vu of what happened during World Series Cricket if this comes to fruition:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...ts-ashes-summer-in-doubt-20170515-gw51tz.html

Hypothetically, if all the mainstays (Smith, Warner, Starc, Wade, Cummins etc.) pull-out, what is the probable Australian XI that could take the field for the 1st test at The Gabba?

Shit, uncontracted? Or just willing to cross the picket line?

It's be a mixture of veterans who don't care, blokes who have terrible records with the board and recent retirees who are still playing grade. Hypothetically:

1-Cowan*
2-Cosgrove
3-Voges
4-Hodge
5-D.Hussey
6-Carters+
7-Butterworth
8-Hopes
9-Cutting
10-Beer
11-Bollinger

And that optimistically hoping some of the current older guys cross the picket line.

Not pretty reading either way.

Bazal

Post Whore
Ok I'll bite on the hypothetical....with the caveat that none of us have any idea which players will do what so it's all a huge guess. I think uncontracted (to CA) players would grab the chance. After all, they could earn a contract and they may never get another chance.

Cowan (c)
Daniel Hughes
Khawaja (I feel like, after India, he'd just want to fking play)
Ferguson
S Marsh (not contracted and will want to prove that's a mistake)
Nevill (as with Marsh)
Faulkner (iffy on this one. He's clearly pretty pissed with CA. But then, it's test cricket)
Coulter-Yangtze
Copeland
Sayers
Swepson

Cameron White if Faulkner tells them to stick it.

But again, I doubt this will be necessary. If nothing else, CA will buckle. They crave money, and this Ashes with the potential of Starc, Haze, Cummins and Pattinson ripping the poms to pieces will provide plenty.

axl rose

Bench
Lol, wimmen, AM I RITE!!!!!!

The 50's called, they want their bigotry back.

Ah the 50s what a time to be alive.No much good for your full time occupation as a forum moderator though.

People soon tire of mediocre/inferior product, especially when they have to pay for it.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
how ironic coming from a Tigpies fan

Soccer and Gridiron eh, didn't know you were that bored with the Eels, keep the faith 1986 wasn't that long ago. Wait till womens cricket season that will get you going.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't realise you were so ill informed to realise that they are played in the off season as well, you know, like cricket is.

Or do you just follow cricket because you are bored with the Tigpies ?

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Hahaha ohhhhhh no how devastating would it be to be without Matt Wade,the most overrated batsmen ever in David Warner and the 2 hack bowlers who always get injured in Cummins and Starc.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
"Warner described as "laughable" any new contract provision that would preclude his ongoing participation in the Indian Premier League.

Cricket Australia is right,these losers should not be playing in the IPL,losers haven't won a Test series in India and England in like over a decade.

These duds don't deserve the IPL payday with there away test failures.

Learn how to play swing bowling and spin bowling you duds.

Front-Rower

First Grade
If the players want X amount of CA's revenue it should be made ultra clear to them that to reduces costs from a business perspective, due to the reduction of income to CA that all overseas tours will see players flown in cattle class unless they are willing to upgrade out of their own pockets. And then, accocmodation will only be 3 star bed and breakfast, not the 5 star luxury they currently enjoy.

Bazal

Post Whore
Players already have a share of the revenue.

As I understand it CA want to impose a lock on that share in terms of monetary value. Basically, CA are saying "the success of the game depends on you, but we want to make sure you can't capitalise on any improvement we make off your backs" and disguising it as safety for the players earnings

Trent Copeland spoke very well on the matter a week ago or so. The players are willing to accept the possibility that they will lose earnings should the game lose revenue based on their performance, so why should CA not accept that the game wins or loses revenue based heavily on the players and allow their earnings to increase if the revenue does?

Front-Rower

First Grade
Understood that they already share in the revenue of the CA, it's somewhere around 25-26% from memory and it's been reported that the elite players are happy to cut that back to around the 22% mark. HOWEVER revenue sharing is a risky propostion for all parties concerned. If the information in this article is correct (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...r-as-pay-dispute-deepens-20170428-gvudoy.html), the new MoU that CA has put forward will still see players share in a total of $514 Million gross, however the ACA aren't happy with a gross figure, they want that to be net earnings potential. CA also require the extra cash as to fund junior and grass roots cricket which is a step forward as without the grass roots and juniors coming through without access to proper coaching and equipment, there is no elite level.

Furthermore, the average wage of sheild player will sit at around $235, 000 and the women's national squad members get an instant payrise of $100, 000. The inflation of player prices due to IPL has seriously putthe expectations of some players through the roof and it is really not a good thing for the game.

Latest posts