What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

moffla

Bench
Kinda off topic, but after our Anzac Day game we don't play in Melbourne until June 2. I hate selling our games interstate

Emu01

Juniors
Kinda off topic, but after our Anzac Day game we don't play in Melbourne until June 2. I hate selling our games interstate

I'm pretty sure other state governments pay big dollars to host an NRL game.

Souths have pocketed a lot of money by playing in W.A the last 5 years or so.

Must be good coin in it cos the Bulldogs take a Home game to N.Z each year and play the warriors of all teams..

Money talks and Bullshit walks!

Billythekid

First Grade
So what's everyone thinking for this weekend? I think it'll be another big week despite the lack of a broncos home game and quite a few low drawing matchups.

Raiders v manly - 12K (hoping for more but Friday 6pm is a wildcard, I've only visited Canberra so I can't say what impact it'll have).

Souths v broncos - 12K, Souths fans seem to have jumped ship, I feel even that is an optimistic prediction.

Eels v panthers - 17K - Being optimistic here. Eels probably have the most loyal fan base outside of the knights and it's a bit of a rivalry.

Cowboys v knights - 13K - Lack of Thurston will keep crowds away.

Sharks v titans - 15K - Titans are the lowest drawing opponent for basically everyone. Still the sharks are reigning premiers and in red hot form again. I feel like I'm decent weather and a decent timeslot that should be bare minimum for them.

Tigers v bulldogs - 22K - dogs fans to do almost all of the leg work. 2 big teams should get more than that every time but it's hard to see that happening.

Roosters v dragons - 40K - will probably be the best atmosphere of any club game this year at the ground and on tv. Can't wait. These are the games that make people want to attend matches live

Storm v warriors - 25K - Hoping for more but being realistic. Atmosphere at AAMI will be amazing with a crowd that size.

That would be 168K and one of the best rounds ever without a broncos match. Would be one of the biggest 2 week periods the NRL has ever had. Will probably end up a little smaller but I think 160K+ is very likely.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If we get 12k that would be pretty decent. A lot of people on the greenhouse arent too keen on getting down and they are hardcores.

Canard

Immortal
With 50% of Australia taking Monday off, could the "long weekend" mean larger crowds? Or will it have the opposite effect?

Billythekid

First Grade
If we get 12k that would be pretty decent. A lot of people on the greenhouse arent too keen on getting down and they are hardcores.

I was being fairly optimistic. Still I think 10-12K is realistic. Overall a few of my predictions will fall short but 160K total is doable.

Raiderdave

First Grade
im hoping im wrong but I just think the 6pm game in Canberra will be just too darn hard to get to
the only way it will work is if pubes knock off at lunch time
go get their kids who are on School hols & get out to the ground by 5pm

the Parksway , Belconnen way , Ginninderra drive & Haydon Drive will all be in grid lock by 5.30pm

Raiderdave

First Grade
Raiders V Manly 12K
Souths V Brisbane 14K
Parramatta V Penrith 15K
Sharks V Titans 15K
Cowboys V Knights 14K
Tigers V Bulldogs 17K
Roosters V Dragons 40K
Storm V Warriors 25K

Emu01

Juniors
With 50% of Australia taking Monday off, could the "long weekend" mean larger crowds? Or will it have the opposite effect?

I reckon having the Monday off will help with attendance.Id be quite happy going to a Sunday game knowing I have the Monday to recover.

The Tuesday games should benefit as well having a free day to build momentum and sell tickets.

Should be a well attended round again. Especially the Sunday and Tuesday games.

Jetka100

Juniors
Will be interesting with the Raiders game. I lived there for 12 years and I don't think the public servants getting away early will be the issue. The biggest issue would be as to whether they stayed in Canberra or not. I reckon there's a good chance 50% of them are taking the 4 day weekend option. The tradies are probably in the same boat.

If they ever get the stadium in the city, however, it would actually be a great timeslot.

BTown324

Juniors
Don't believe it's that simple at all. Disagree with most of what you say. Seems everyone on here is starting to believe the news ltd.

Show me where a nrl CEO has said they prefer the money over crowds? Show me.....?

Priority on tv deal ....welI I better bloody hope so. It does fund rugby league in Australia/nz, slightly important. It's apparently always the Nrls fault. No one else. I'm sure the nrl would of got more if they let tv companies choose the games.

The clubs have to take responsibility for crowds/atmosphere at games. Clubs prefer to have 10 physios/masseuses and 10 doctors instead of spending money on marketing or stadium entertainment at games. Clubs try to blame the nrl on anything that is bad without fixing the real issue. Weather and lazy fans (comparing to melb) also play apart in lower crowds. You can't dismiss that. The Nrl did try to up the entertainment $$ in certain games a few years ago and the got nailed when they released the annual budget.

How about be a little positive about the crowds and the nrl. I personally hope the nrl never hit rock bottom. Let's hope big crowds this Anzac weekend.

I don't disagree with a lot you say but just because the NRL CEO hasn't said it publicly don't be deluded into thinking their priorities are skewed.

Internally the code has no confidence in what they're doing and from within other codes the NRL has gone from being seen as the number one winter football code to well behind afl and soccer (in regards to management and marketing and scheduling and the like). The nrl aren't even seen as a threat anymore.

But ok sure.. one good weekend of crowds on a sunny long weekend and everything is rosy. Until crowds ratings quality of football all start to suck again and we can at least go back to blaming state of origin by then.

Side Note - I've dealt with nrl and afl for various (and similar) marketing programs recently. The afl tell their clubs they need to fall in line and run the marketing in line with the over arching strategy and all clubs do as their told, provide players, run social campaigns etc. the nrl clubs tell the nrl how they want to run it and when the nrl tell the clubs to please try and be a part of the bigger campaign - the clubs threaten to pull out and say they'll do it but won't supply players and only run their version of the promotion when it suits them.

This is a snapshot of how little the NRL clubs respect the governing body. that has to change.

Marlins

Juniors
Raiders V Manly 11k
Souths V Brisbane 10k
Parramatta V Penrith 21k
Sharks V Titans 14k
Cowboys V Knights 16k
Tigers V Bulldogs 19k
Roosters V Dragons 37k
Storm V Warriors 23k

mave

Coach
I don't disagree with a lot you say but just because the NRL CEO hasn't said it publicly don't be deluded into thinking their priorities are skewed.

Internally the code has no confidence in what they're doing and from within other codes the NRL has gone from being seen as the number one winter football code to well behind afl and soccer (in regards to management and marketing and scheduling and the like). The nrl aren't even seen as a threat anymore.

But ok sure.. one good weekend of crowds on a sunny long weekend and everything is rosy. Until crowds ratings quality of football all start to suck again and we can at least go back to blaming state of origin by then.

Side Note - I've dealt with nrl and afl for various (and similar) marketing programs recently. The afl tell their clubs they need to fall in line and run the marketing in line with the over arching strategy and all clubs do as their told, provide players, run social campaigns etc. the nrl clubs tell the nrl how they want to run it and when the nrl tell the clubs to please try and be a part of the bigger campaign - the clubs threaten to pull out and say they'll do it but won't supply players and only run their version of the promotion when it suits them.

This is a snapshot of how little the NRL clubs respect the governing body. that has to change.

Respect goes both ways.

When the NRL starts treating all clubs equally, Im tipping all clubs will be a lot more enthusiastic about assissting the NRL.

If I were a club CEO or owner, I wouldn't trust HQ to be unbiased, fair or impartial in any decisions they took on behalf of the game.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
3pm kick off for Parra v Penrith isn't ideal. These two teams have the largest Junior Leagues so it will be tough for a lot of families to make it to Olympic Park by 3pm.

Trackwork between Penrith and Blacktown isn't ideal either...

im hoping im wrong but I just think the 6pm game in Canberra will be just too darn hard to get to
the only way it will work is if pubes knock off at lunch time
go get their kids who are on School hols & get out to the ground by 5pm

the Parksway , Belconnen way , Ginninderra drive & Haydon Drive will all be in grid lock by 5.30pm
I am actually not having a shot here Dave, but grid lock in Canberra? That actually happens?

Every time I go there for work, I have never seen it.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

The Nrl priorities are skewed? Increase grassroots, create a media department and allow clubs to be sustainable.... not bad priorities.

Internally at nrl Hq I think the nrl has all the confidence but externally in the media and by selfish clubs leaking info to portray the nrl as incompetent doesn't help promote the nrl in a good light.

Come on.... soccer? Who's she??
You mean gallop run soccer? Better Management and scheduling? Is that even on fta?

Over the past few years the nrl bosses have been hit from pillar to post to try and change that system and have clubs accountable (kpi) and they have kicked and screamed like school kids the whole way. The clubs are the issue here. They need to get back in there box and start prioritizing there memebership/crowd numbers instead of physio numbers.