What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
LOL if so called rl fans in WA are desperate for NRL games and a team,they would be packing it out.
Sadly I do blame the customers,and the whiners(insert name here.......).You suggest Sydney fans are full of excuses.Kettle black huh!

It's lip service that would deter true RL supporters from showing the desire to attend and show popularity in WA. The reluctance to commit to expansion after a positive trend in WA for a few years there would no doubt put a dent in Perth's drive to maintain any momentum previously built up.

Could be comparable to AFL's presence in Tasmania. Sure they send 7 games a season there and it's generally a positive exercise. But if they gave Tasmania their own team to call their own, would you see an increase in crowds there? Absolutely.

Passion for a local team to support is a key driver in generating crowds, not some out of town team putting on an exhibition for the locals a couple of times a year. After a while, a gimmick gets a bit old.

Perth Red

Post Whore
LOL if so called rl fans in WA are desperate for NRL games and a team,they would be packing it out.
Sadly I do blame the customers,and the whiners(insert name here.......).You suggest Sydney fans are full of excuses.Kettle black huh!

Been there, done that. guess what? no team. Sold out grounds are clearly not a factor in nrl expansion so why bother? Blame who you like, won't change a thing. It's a dumb business that blames its customers for not buying its products.

taipan

Referee
It's lip service that would deter true RL supporters from showing the desire to attend and show popularity in WA. The reluctance to commit to expansion after a positive trend in WA for a few years there would no doubt put a dent in Perth's drive to maintain any momentum previously built up.

Could be comparable to AFL's presence in Tasmania. Sure they send 7 games a season there and it's generally a positive exercise. But if they gave Tasmania their own team to call their own, would you see an increase in crowds there? Absolutely.

Passion for a local team to support is a key driver in generating crowds, not some out of town team putting on an exhibition for the locals a couple of times a year. After a while, a gimmick gets a bit old.

It still gets down to desperation though.
And as the Force has shown, despite union having a growing junior base and even before the threat of reducing teams, their attendances have declined substantially.

People such as PR bag Sydney crowds (with passionate supporters)and rightly so at times, due to a number of factors,conversely he must accept the fact that Perth numbers will drop even with passionate fans as the Force has shown.
And I get back to the situation ATM,which PR will not answer.The priorities .Grassoots left to wither without financial support or expansion ATM?

taipan

Referee
Been there, done that. guess what? no team. Sold out grounds are clearly not a factor in nrl expansion so why bother? Blame who you like, won't change a thing. It's a dumb business that blames its customers for not buying its products.

Sold out .How many times?
Priority, grassroots at present to prevent further declines and try to grow that base at present or satisfy your wants for an early Perth side.
Of course follow the ARU approach, that'll solve the problem.Sheesh.

A business that expands without doing their homework pays in the long run.Masters,Myers,Dick Smith etc.Trying to expand AFL into NZ another.
Ask yourself why the AFL have not jumped(expanded) into Tassie,where the code is strong Expansion for the sake of expanding is not necessarily the panacea.Especially when your current monies are stretched.Unless of course the PR money grows on tree formula is applied.Yep that's solve it.

seanoff

Juniors
Priority, grassroots at present to prevent further declines and try to grow that base at present or satisfy your wants for an early Perth side.

A business that expands without doing their homework pays in the long run.Masters,Myers,Dick Smith etc.Trying to expand AFL into NZ another.
Ask yourself why the AFL have not jumped(expanded) into Tassie,where the code is strong Expansion for the sake of expanding is not necessarily the panacea.Especially when your current monies are stretched.Unless of course the PR money grows on tree formula is applied.Yep that's solve it.

full

Have a look at the TV ad revenue from Tassie. Its Max $25M. 1.25% of the Aus TV Ad market. Its not going to add anything to the tv rights.

Whereas expanding into perth/wa might be worth it given its size and the number of companies based there and potential for sponsorship. Tassie has nothing to offer. Its a 10th the size of WA and the NRL wont go there, so why would the AFL even entertain Tassie.

Last year and NRL/AFL GF 30 sec spot was somewhere between $100 - 150K across the 5 metro markets. The same 30 secs in Tassie, maybe $800 - 1k.

In short the AFL dont believe that Tassie would actually add anything to the competition in terms of money or the comp in general. They'd be much more likely to go Perth 3 than Tasmania but they dont have a real viable 20th team landing spot.

The NRL have 2 spots open if they want them. Brisbane 2 and Perth are logical additions. But the NRL has its own problems with 16.

Perth Red

Post Whore

at least 3 in last 5 years that I can think off plus a 20k plus crowd at subi oval. Expansion = more money, a fact you keep ignoring here and in the expansion forum.

They didn't expand into Tassie when they had every opportunity to do so because they could see it had little strategic or financial value in doing so. Better they use the opportunity to make more money and further expand in NRL heartlands. It'd be like asking why the NRL wouldnt expand into Darwin instead of Perth and Adelaide lol.

taipan

Referee
full

Have a look at the TV ad revenue from Tassie. Its Max $25M. 1.25% of the Aus TV Ad market. Its not going to add anything to the tv rights.

Whereas expanding into perth/wa might be worth it given its size and the number of companies based there and potential for sponsorship. Tassie has nothing to offer. Its a 10th the size of WA and the NRL wont go there, so why would the AFL even entertain Tassie.

Last year and NRL/AFL GF 30 sec spot was somewhere between $100 - 150K across the 5 metro markets. The same 30 secs in Tassie, maybe $800 - 1k.

In short the AFL dont believe that Tassie would actually add anything to the competition in terms of money or the comp in general. They'd be much more likely to go Perth 3 than Tasmania but they dont have a real viable 20th team landing spot.

The NRL have 2 spots open if they want them. Brisbane 2 and Perth are logical additions. But the NRL has its own problems with 16.

That's correct wouldn't argue with that.The NRL does have problems with 16 ATM.So notions of expansion and ignoring grassroots or watering down the funding is plain lunacy.

My point to PR the Warriors add little here in Oz to the Tv rights.They do of course in NZ.Although even there they are down.

The Storm took a while @ to get accepted in Melbourne even then it lost money for quite a while ,propped up by News.
Expansion is fine and I'm all for it, but it has to be when the code is on its feet financially,the grassroots are growing and it has to contribute more than the cost of new clubs entering.
In the current FTA climate that is a hard ask.And PR"s mewing about money everywhere does not cut it, in the current TV climate of dwindling ad revenue ,other platforms eating into their financial base.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Expansion in about ... never then given the performance of the NRL lol. Revenue of NRL has gone ballistic in last 6 years yet clubs are still weak , grass roots apparently has bigger issues than ever requiring massive spending, crowds are stagnant at best impacting club viability and the revenue gap with our main competitor hasn't moved.
And people wonder why fans in the West are not turning out to games in same numbers as when we had some hope!

taipan

Referee
at least 3 in last 5 years that I can think off plus a 20k plus crowd at subi oval. Expansion = more money, a fact you keep ignoring here and in the expansion forum.

They didn't expand into Tassie when they had every opportunity to do so because they could see it had little strategic or financial value in doing so. Better they use the opportunity to make more money and further expand in NRL heartlands. It'd be like asking why the NRL wouldnt expand into Darwin instead of Perth and Adelaide lol.

And going down ever since.Aping the Force, who actually have a team.

Expansion" may" mean more money(which I have spelt out but you appear too blind to see ) when the TV stations are in the position to do so.Which they were in 2015/6.

Ch7/9 and certainly 10 would not be in the position now repeat now, to pay big bikkies for Perth and Brisbane.The NRL is currently in the throes of organising 130% grant to clubs ,which could mean anything up to $13m per club, that is currently being looked at.Have a look at the TV deals for A league ,ch10's demise and what happened to the BBL.

I repeat one more time,we do not know what the TV stations would be prepared to pay for an extra slot.Gyngell has made the point the money "ain't what it used to be".So let's say $26m grant for 2 new clubs and let's say as Gyngell previously noted $20m pa for an extra slot with Brisbane 2,which he has since deviated from.
You think Gyngell knows less than you do LOL.You contact him and Murdoch and tell them how to run sport in this country and what an extra slot is worth."I'm all ears.

Let's take another hypothetical ,although most based on current figures).
If they say LOL it's now worth $57-60m pa for a slot (last AFL according to you extra slot) ,when the current 8 NRL slots are worth each $162m over 5 years or $33m per slot pa.Based on $1.8bn of which $500m for SOO and $1.3m for NRL comp.I say good luck with expecting $57m.And Gyngell stated $20m then jumped back..

If ever another code had a premiership team set up in Tasmania,bet your bottom dollar the fumblers would be there in a flash to cover their a*ses.The fact they play a few matches there is evidence enough.

More money in NRL heartland received ,even more outlaid ,when you take the Lion's debacle into account.Receive more, spend even more .
With no increase whatsoever in Nth TV ratings in decades.I'd be asking questions if I were a sports' administrator, with all the publicity and PR and money outlaid.

" Ignoring" LOL.This coming from a bloke who cannot make a decision on whether money should be spent on declining grassroots or for him to wet himself over a club.With no decent junior base ,not only is any expansion out of the question but the code is on a downward spiral.Yet you can't see it, you live in an AFL imposed bubble.

WTF Weak example.Darwin is 60/40 AFL in favour Tasmania is 90% AFL.Suggest Darwin will get a 2nd division team before that happens.

Allan Bond came from WA,and knew how to spend money he didn't have.Something in the water?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Going down ever since when? Nib stadium records have been consistently broken by NRL for a number of years.

2016 20,283 Rugby League Test Match: Kangaroos v New Zealand
2015 20,272 Rugby League NRL: Rabbitohs v Warriors
2014 20,267 Rugby League NRL: Rabbitohs v Warriors
2013 20,221 Rugby League NRL: Rabbitohs v Warriors
2012 20,095 Manly v Warriors

Not going to get into the whole value of expansion thing again with you, we are having that discussion elsewhere. Lets keep it focussed on crowds and the purpose of the thread. This years Souths game was very disappointing for Perth, what factors were at play for that where probably numerous. If the Manly game next week repeats the disappointing number then it will require a looking at by the NRL of why that has happened and if it can be addressed. Having seen the game gather momentum and sell out nib numerous times over last few years it would be a shame to see it slip back to pre 2010 levels of interest.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...i/news-story/496903ab9ec8ebcee57eeb9397da80f9

GATE TAKINGS

You’d think the NRL would make a motza from the sell-out crowd at ANZ Stadium.

The fact is they sold only 45,000 seats to the general public and it wasn’t quite the cash cow you’d expect. The rest of the crowd was made up of members and corporates.

The average ticket price for the NRL’s 45,000 seats was a bit over $100 — making it a $5 million payday. They share the profits from the corporate suites with the ANZ Stadium management.

taipan

Referee
Going down ever since when? Nib stadium records have been consistently broken by NRL for a number of years.

2016 20,283 Rugby League Test Match: Kangaroos v New Zealand
2015 20,272 Rugby League NRL: Rabbitohs v Warriors
2014 20,267 Rugby League NRL: Rabbitohs v Warriors
2013 20,221 Rugby League NRL: Rabbitohs v Warriors
2012 20,095 Manly v Warriors

Not going to get into the whole value of expansion thing again with you, we are having that discussion elsewhere. Lets keep it focussed on crowds and the purpose of the thread. This years Souths game was very disappointing for Perth, what factors were at play for that where probably numerous. If the Manly game next week repeats the disappointing number then it will require a looking at by the NRL of why that has happened and if it can be addressed. Having seen the game gather momentum and sell out nib numerous times over last few years it would be a shame to see it slip back to pre 2010 levels of interest.

Anyone can select certain matches.Take into account all the NRL games, not just cherry pick the ones that suit.Test matches excluded.PLus how many of those in Perth up against FTA for NRL.
Factors at play.FMD they are always at play,either poor team performances, weather,ANZ stadium.bad schedulingit happens and happens often here in Sydney.
Hell the Sharks had over 20,000 against the Dogs with players out a couple of weeks ago, and ova had 19,000 and 20,000 at games against Saints and Souths.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone can select certain matches.Take into account all the NRL games, not just cherry pick the ones that suit.Test matches excluded.PLus how many of those in Perth up against FTA for NRL.
Factors at play.FMD they are always at play,either poor team performances, weather,ANZ stadium.bad schedulingit happens and happens often here in Sydney.
Hell the Sharks had over 20,000 against the Dogs with players out a couple of weeks ago, and ova had 19,000 and 20,000 at games against Saints and Souths.

Now whose being selective ? Lol Again I ask you to quantify this statement you made "And going down ever since"
You said crowds were declining "ever since" I asked since when?,
I then showed you that Perth for 5 years in a row has been able to draw 20k for certain games. This year might be the first it hasn't in 6 years. Hardly a picture fo decline but a worry none the less.
Want the stats for every game go find them yourself.

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...i/news-story/496903ab9ec8ebcee57eeb9397da80f9

GATE TAKINGS

You’d think the NRL would make a motza from the sell-out crowd at ANZ Stadium.

The fact is they sold only 45,000 seats to the general public and it wasn’t quite the cash cow you’d expect. The rest of the crowd was made up of members and corporates.

The average ticket price for the NRL’s 45,000 seats was a bit over $100 — making it a $5 million payday. They share the profits from the corporate suites with the ANZ Stadium management.

Would this be different to any other major stadium in the country or any other code?

If it was the Swans or Sydney FC the grubby soak would think it was the greatest thing since a slab of Tooheys New...

It's Rugby League though so let's rain on the parade...

taipan

Referee
Now whose being selective ? Lol Again I ask you to quantify this statement you made "And going down ever since"
You said crowds were declining "ever since" I asked since when?,
I then showed you that Perth for 5 years in a row has been able to draw 20k for certain games. This year might be the first it hasn't in 6 years. Hardly a picture fo decline but a worry none the less.
Want the stats for every game go find them yourself.

Oh please.
Have look at the original crowd at their first game (the Reds).
And it is this year remember we are living in the present(although you continue to waffle on about monies in TV deals made a year or so ago and ignore future threats. , not the past and looking to the future.It's called trends.
Anyone can pick out big crowds for their club over the years FFS.

Last line typical deflection,I spend enough of my valuable time dealing with some of your inane comments, without wasting further time googling ups stats under your instruction.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So we're going back to the first game of 1995 now? Lol
Yep crowds have been on decline in Perth since 1995, you're losing it my sharkie friend!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Average crowds in Perth for Rugby League have dropped, have they not?

Latest posts