What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Illawarra Tiger

Juniors
I agree with most people on this topic and more should be done with double headers at ANZ or the SFS.

They could them it with a battle of the west involving
Wests, Penrith, Parra and Canterbury.
Or a potential battle of the beaches at the SFS involving Cronulla, Roosters, Manly, dragons and or Souths.

I think in an effort to increase crowds we need more friendly time slots. We need more day games (in my view the 4:15pm Sunday game isn't a day game in winter)

Surely NRL and Broadcaster could go with a viewers choice, look at the AFL and they have simultaneous games.

In my view:
Friday 19:40
Saturday 15:00
Saturday 17:00
Saturday 19:00
Sunday 13:00
Sunday 15:00 x 2
Sunday 17:00

Raiderdave

First Grade
once the new Parra stadium is built, it will be likely that Wests will make it their main home ground with 2 or 3 games each at Lillyfield and Leumeah. Parra vs Wests games at the new arena should be close to sell-outs IMO. NRL really need to turn games into must go-to events to attend. a good start is probably shortening the season by a few rounds. another is not killing the competition for 6 to 8 weeks with State of Origin. furthermore, limiting Olympic Stadium matches to finals only. they could also look at more supporter-friendly times to schedule matches.

All in all, if Souths should try to get back to Moore Park, and Canterbury look at the new Parra stadium for the bulk of home matches, as well with 2 or 3 matches at Belmore

and again for the 30th time
if the govt is spending 800 million on ANZ , then it will get content
they won't upgrade it if its getting 5 games a year

& guess what
they're upgrading it ... so as gus gould would say to most of the above

no no no no

Valheru

Coach
A single game on Friday to kick off the round is something the game sorely missed. The Friday night game used to be something you would get excited about regardless of who was playing. It was the start of the week for that round of league and it felt awesome whenever it came around.

This

Up until the introduction of the 2nd Friday game in 2007 the Friday game always felt like a big deal even if it was a dud game.

I would have

Friday 7:45PM (ch9)
Saturday 3PM
Saturday 5:30PM
Saturday 7:45PM (ch9)
2 x Sunday 2PM
Sunday 4PM (ch9)

I don't care if games are played at the same time. I am not sure what the obsession is with standalone fixtures, every other major sporting competition in the world has fixtures overlap.

Friday is to be made a big deal again and feel like an event every week. I would like to see teams rewarded for on field performance with Friday night games. So in the first 20 rounds the 4 prelim finalists from the previous year would host at least 2 Friday games each against other good performers from the previous year. Other marquee matchups would fill the remainder of the first 20 rounds. In the last 6 rounds the projected match of the week based on ladder position after round 16 would be put on the Friday.

With the Saturday setup, I would have a 'Sydney game' for channel 9 to broadcast in to Sydney and a QLD/VIC/NZ game for everywhere else. Fox would simulcast so it is still live everywhere.

Regarding Sunday, the 4PM slot should be number 2 after Friday and I would like to see channel 9 have the right, with an appropriate period of notice (4 weeks) to switch which game they telecast if they feel one of the 2PM games is the better fixture which is similar to what the NFL and NBC do. They would only be able to do this after say week 10 and the originally scheduled 4PM game would move back to 2PM and vice versa. It may be an issue for travelling fans but they will just have to plan the trip knowing the fixture time could change by 2 hours either way.

An hour before Storm games I stop doing anything so I can watch the game. If hubby wants anything to eat,drink he has to get it himself, Storm time is my time. At first he didn`t like it but who cares??

The only time your husband has to get himself things to eat and drink are during Storm games?

The rest of the time you get his drinks?

Thats incredible.

azza29

Juniors
I would have

Friday 7:45PM (ch9)
Saturday 3PM
Saturday 5:30PM
2 x Sunday 2PM
Sunday 4PM (ch9)

Great suggestions, sadly they are too well-considered and practical for the broadcasters to go anywhere near them. Agree that standalone fixtures are overrated - the TV rights benefit is marginal at best and they inevitably require games to be played at fan-unfriendly times.